Got A Nice Compliment Today

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 7 May 2007 , 1:28pm by Parable

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #1 of 23

My friend who lives out of state commissioned (her word LOL) a cake from me for her niece's 12th birthday. It had fondant figures w/ an electric guitar b/c the birthday girl loves to play guitar. When I delivered it, they ooh'd and aah'd over it and the mom said I could be on Food Network tee-hee!

Not hardly icon_wink.gif , but after the cake was cut, one of the other moms told me it tasted better than the cake she had at a wedding yesterday. I thought that was the nicest compliment - people don't usually say anything about the taste.

What was your nicest compliment?

22 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:38am
post #2 of 23

What great compliments!

I never believe anyone when they compliment my cakes. Never. I probably blush every time and I get all sheepish about it.

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:39am
post #3 of 23

how nice to hear

beachcakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:53am
post #4 of 23

LOL czyadgrl! I have a hard time taking compliments too. Wonder if it gets easier?

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:14am
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

What was your nicest compliment?

One time I had a cake returned to me because the birthday boy had refused to cut it. It's the 'blackie's holden' cake in my photos. I had to lift off the plaque on top and have it drying in my cupboard, as he is planning on having it mounted. I took the cake to work the next day and we all ate it but I felt sorry for his family not having any! The tree stump cake I did (also im my pics) was for a 90 year old man, and he also refused to put more than the compulsory first cut in it. He had his wife wrap the whole thing in saran wrap and freeze it. I guess if that's not a complement I don't know what is!

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:27am
post #6 of 23

People are sooo funny about not wanting to cut cakes. The best compliment I ever got was for a WASC with strawberry filling and I had a lady who loved cake in general tell me it was better than any wedding cake that she had ever had. It was for a wedding shower and the bride to be asked me to make the exact same cake for her wedding!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:28am
post #7 of 23

I haven't had anything as dramatic as someone refusing to cut my cakes. But I have had several people burst into tears because they were so pleased with what I had done. It makes me feel self concious because this is my hobby and I just love to take their idea and make it into a cake. One was the wiggles cake and the other was the John deere cake in my photos.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:30am
post #8 of 23

Last weekend I did a birthday cake for a party which I also attended. The hostess later told me that several guests came back for not only seconds but thirds! One lady even asked for a doggy bag so that her daughter and husband could taste too. That was just the biggest compliment. I love it when people are pleasantly surprised that the cake actually tastes good too.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:36am
post #9 of 23

Those are the greatest compliments any one can get. Way to go people. Keep up the good work.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:44am
post #10 of 23

Well the last cake I did in my photos I got a cash tip from the girl it was made for. I was really shocked as I have never gotten a tip before. thumbs_up.gif

Also when I delivered the three pink and brown cakes the mother who ordered them started to jump up and down and dance around as she clapped her hands and kept saying how much she loved them.

Also, the Elvis cake I did for my aunt (who pulled the cake towards her and kissed each Elvis on the cake) was given to her at a restaurant the whole family got together at to celebrate her cake and one of the other tables had a lovely couple sitting and watching. Then they asked someone at our table if they could have my business card.

Those are the best parts about making cake when people show you they really like the job you did. Nothing feels better then knowing all your hard work and time really made some one happy.

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:44am
post #11 of 23

Congrats! It's always great to get compliments. I once made a cake (first one for the public!) for a military retirement. I was SO nervous because it really was my first cake for other than family. The guests were trying to figure out where it came from and commented that it couldn't have come from a local (and VERY popular) bakery in town because it tasted even better then theirs!! I was on cloud 9 for some time after that!!!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:45am
post #12 of 23

I've had people not get to eat bday cake at parties because the bday person refused to let anyone touch it! Kind of made me feel bad though. I always like to see people gather around it and point, ooh, ahh, etc. It's rare that I get to see that because I usually make my husband do my deliveries because I see my flaws and get to nervous to do it myself. That's just goofy to me, but that's me.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:53am
post #13 of 23

What a great moral booster!

Good Luck on your next cake!

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:54am
post #14 of 23

Here's mine - not long ago I ran into the customer for whom I did my very first first cowboy hat cake. (At the time I thought it looked so great, but looking back, eh - not so great!) Anyway, she told me that they kept the cake and never cut it and she has it displayed in her china hutch. That was about 6 years ago! I laughed and told her I'd be happy to make her a dummy cake at no charge, but she refused and said it just wouldn't be the same. LOL, I can hardly stand to think about them still having that less than perfect, petrified cake on display in their dining room! ugh!! but still nice, in a twisted-cakey kinda way!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:04am
post #15 of 23

I just did a cake for a friend of my dad's. It was his 50th bday and I actually wasn't sure I was going to be able to do a cake for him because of moving and the end of school. Well, it is my dartboard cake in my photos.

I worked so hard on the cake cause it was my idea and my second "paid for" cake. The guy is kinda known as a grump(kinda not really) and he actually hugged me twice!!! He didn't want to cut the cake, he wanted to bring it to the World Poker Tournament and make me a million dollars! That was the best compliment ever! icon_redface.gif I could've gave back the money after that cause I have never heard him so happy! icon_smile.gif

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:11am
post #16 of 23

Congrats! icon_smile.gif

People always seem to give me such nice compliments, especially the parents at my brother's school because I always do decorated cookies for their class parties. And, at all of the fundraisers I went to last week, I was getting embarrassed because everyone kept coming up to me complimenting my cakes/cookies, and my face was turning red...hehe.

The most recent one was the golf cake I did for a 3 yr old. My sister was at the party and she said it was absolutely delicious, and considering that no one around here does 3D cakes or sculpted cakes, everyone was flipping out over the design!

The mom of the little boy called me a few days ago to tell me how delicous the cake was, and that I'm doing the cake for her baby shower, June 16th. She's pregnant with twin girls icon_smile.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 7 May 2007 , 5:42am
post #17 of 23

Oh I love hearing about all these great compliments! Keep them coming.

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 7 May 2007 , 9:32am
post #18 of 23

well congrats... it makes me feel all warm & fuzzy when people like my cakes

creativepassion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativepassion Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:21am
post #19 of 23

icon_surprised.gif Your cake is so AWESOME!! I looked at a lot of your cakes! They are all so amazing in every way! You're a natural at this!! icon_cool.gif Congratulations!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:51am
post #20 of 23

I did a cake this weekend - it's the American Idol cake in my pics. My daughter also attended the party so I stayed for the whole party (she's only 5) There were other birthdays there in the same area with tables all close together. As I walked into the skating rink with the cake the other 3 birthday girls ran over to see the cake. Then one went to her mom whinning that her cake wasn't that cute! There was a Walmart slapped together sheet cake and 2 Giant messy sheet cakes. 2 of the kids from one of the other parties sat down at our tables when we served the cake when they heard our girls ooohing and ahhhing over the taste. All there of the other mom's asked for my card! Sorry WalMart!!!!!! icon_razz.gif

beachcakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 11:49am
post #21 of 23

Oooh! I love hearing all these stories! Keep em coming!

i have a couple more..., I made a cake for our Monsignor in the shape of his new hat/robe and 1 1/2 years later, it's still in his freezer! He refused to cut it!

i was at my son's teacher conference last week and she told me she took all the Rudolph characters off the cake for school and brought them home - they're in her freezer too!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 7 May 2007 , 11:53am
post #22 of 23

I made the Thomas the Train cake (my avatar) for this weekend. I saw the customer yesterday and she said it was the hit of the party and no one could believe I made it, especially the face. She said they finally had to hide it from their son because he kept wanting his cake. It just made my day. It is always nice to get a compliment that and it off sets the fact that I spend so much time on them and get paid very little! LOL!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:28pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillychick

Here's mine - not long ago I ran into the customer for whom I did my very first first cowboy hat cake. (At the time I thought it looked so great, but looking back, eh - not so great!) Anyway, she told me that they kept the cake and never cut it and she has it displayed in her china hutch. That was about 6 years ago! I laughed and told her I'd be happy to make her a dummy cake at no charge, but she refused and said it just wouldn't be the same. LOL, I can hardly stand to think about them still having that less than perfect, petrified cake on display in their dining room! ugh!! but still nice, in a twisted-cakey kinda way!

OMG, and what about the bugs? Yuck!

I just found out this weekend that the "seal" on a large military retirement cake I did a year ago, Cinco de Mayo, was still in the retiree's freezer. I had made them promise "not to freeze it but to eat eat" but they couldn't help themselves. I get more of a kick out of hearing someone enjoyed the inside as well as the outside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%