Will Fondant Covered Cake Be Good For Saturday

Decorating By tcrema Updated 12 May 2005 , 10:24pm by tcrema

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 11 May 2005 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 24

Hi Everyone. If I made a cake, frosted it with buttercream, then covered it with Fondant...would it still be good For a birthday party on Saturday? It's the MMF and I'm doing it for a doll cake! Let me know what you know and think! Thanks TAMMY

23 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 11 May 2005 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrema

Hi Everyone. If I made a cake, frosted it with buttercream, then covered it with Fondant...would it still be good For a birthday party on Saturday? It's the MMF and I'm doing it for a doll cake! Let me know what you know and think! Thanks TAMMY

hi Tammy.
i did a mmf cake on saturday for mothers day... i hear not to put mmf in the fridge.. but i did and it tasted great!!!

tcrema Posted 11 May 2005 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 24

so did you put it in the fridge and if not how did you store it and how many days ahead did you make it?

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 11 May 2005 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrema

so did you put it in the fridge and if not how did you store it and how many days ahead did you make it?

i made it the day beofre and put it in the fridge

tcrema Posted 11 May 2005 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 24

SO, does anyone else know if the cake made today Wednesday would be good for Sunday?

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 24

It will be fine unless you used something in it that needs to be refrigerated.

Debbie

tcrema Posted 11 May 2005 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 24

All I did was used the cake mix formula and bc frosting and then the MMF...do I need to cover it or anything?

thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 24

I usually put mine in a box or throw a piece of plastic wrap over it just to "keep the dust" off of it. Don't seal it up tight.

Debbie

tcrema Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 24

thanks!

thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 24

Welcome!

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 24

I made MMF about 5 days ago, I put it in a mixing bowl with a lid and left it on my counter. it still tastes good, and when I need to use some I just pop it in the microwave for about 10 seconds to loosen it up.

tcrema Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 24

Well I know that it will last the MMF I've used on this cake I made 2 weeks ago and it taste fantastic!!!! I have to keep my 10 month old away from it. I was just wondering about how it would last decorated on a cake

thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:36pm
post #13 of 24

If you seal it up it might absorb too much moisture from the cake and get soft and sag. Left on the counter it will be fine.

Deb

tcrema Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 24

do you think that I should cover it with aluminum foil or a brown paper back to keep it from fading?

thecakemaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:21pm
post #15 of 24

Covering it with a paper bag would "keep the dust off" but unless it's in a window I don't think you need to worry about it fading.

Deb

tcrema Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 24

Thank You So much DEB!!!! You have all been a good help! I am going to post the picture in just a few minutes

tcrema Posted 11 May 2005 , 9:01pm
post #17 of 24

Ok I just posted the pic. It's Little Pink Doll. Tell me what you think! And Thanks for al lyour advice

thecakemaker Posted 12 May 2005 , 12:32pm
post #18 of 24

She looks great!

Debbie

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 May 2005 , 12:35pm
post #19 of 24

Good job!
I want to try a doll cake, I have a doll pick, just not the pan. And I have a glass bowl, but I don't think it's oven proof.

thecakemaker Posted 12 May 2005 , 12:38pm
post #20 of 24

If it's pyrex or corning it's most likely oven proof. I use my pampered chef bowl to make cakes all the time.

Debbie

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 May 2005 , 12:41pm
post #21 of 24

I will have to go home and look- I'm at work. I don't think it is though, it's an old mixing bowl that was supposed to go with an old kitchenaid stand mixer from the 70's. I have a smaller one, and I used to have the bigger one to go with it, but that got broken somehow icon_cry.gif The big one was one of my favorite mixing bowls.

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:27pm
post #22 of 24

Yes. I have prepared them four days in advance. I was told the sugar keeps them fresh.

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:15pm
post #23 of 24

i love the doll! i want to make one but i don't have a little girl to make it for... maybe i'll just make one for myself someday... but as for the mmf... just leave it out on the counter... don't cover it with anything or it will get soggy looking and sticky again. all it will do is harden up but it's still easy to cut through (it doesn't get as hard as a rock)... i've left my mmf cake out for over a week and it's still good... it looks the same as the day i made it... it kinda seals off the cake and keeps it fresh inside

tcrema Posted 12 May 2005 , 10:24pm
post #24 of 24

Thank you so much for your advise. I'm glad to know it will keep. I've never made a cake more than 24 hours in advance and especially one that is for a customer. I'm glad I know and so glad for all of your advise!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%