Failure To Pay

Business By MsFarmFresh Updated 3 Jun 2006 , 1:01am by DRose

MsFarmFresh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsFarmFresh Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:36am
post #1 of 15

Okay, I need some opinions and ideas on how to handle a customer that failed to bring final payment for cake. As a favor to one of my Miss Seattle contestants, I agreed to do her wedding cake. The mom coordinated all the details, gave me the deposit and was to give a check to the wedding coordinator to give me when I delivered the cake. One, the Mother forgot to give WC check, I made arrangements with WC to get my plates and the check from her the day after the wedding. It has now been 2 days since the wedding and the WC and the Mother have failed to return phone calls or emails. I am quite upset about this...I gave them a great deal on the cake (see cake in my gallery) and now they are stiffing me. What should I do? Plus how much do you think I should have priced this cake for? My DH and I are having a disagreement about pricing.

14 replies
knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:46am
post #2 of 15

Could the WC be taking the weekend off because of Memorial Day?
Just a thought.

A cake of that size seems like it should be worth at least $500, maybe more--depending on your geographical area.

I would expect that you should have all of this resolved by Tuesday afternoon, if it's just the holiday weekend stubbing things up with the WC. Let us know!

Good luck,
--Knox-- icon_wink.gif

tgirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgirl22 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:52am
post #3 of 15

That was what I was wondering too, if this was a delay because of the holiday weekend. I would give her another day to reply before I panicked!!
As for pricing, I would also say around $500 depending on your geographical location, and flavors/fillings used.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 30 May 2006 , 4:05am
post #4 of 15

First let me say that your cake turned out just beautiful! As for pricing...I think that 500.00 is way too cheap for a cake that size plus with the fondant decorations. I would say 600.00-650.00 would be more like it.

Don't get upset just yet. People get overwelmed over weddings. And with a holiday weekend...I would try calling again tomorrow.

I actually have 2 stands that need to be returned to me and know it can be frustrating when people are not accomadating.

Hopefully you will hear something this week from the wedding coordinator...I would just keep leaving messages until she calls you back.

Good luck!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 30 May 2006 , 4:21am
post #5 of 15

curious ....what did you charge?

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 30 May 2006 , 6:22am
post #6 of 15

1. Always get final payment BEFORE the cakes are delivered. If this is not your policy, I suggest changing it.

2. If she fails to produce the money, you either make a decision to eat the cost or take her to small claims court which no doubt you would win.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 30 May 2006 , 6:35am
post #7 of 15

icon_sad.gif I know how exasperating this can be, but perhaps for future reference you should require collecting final payment 2 weeks before the wedding. I would be willing to bet that the WC got her money.This is a prime example of why you should have a contract, especially when dealing with a WC. Sometimes we can be too nice, but business is business. Don't be afraid to require a deposit on the order and balance before the wedding. Hopefully like the others have said the holiday has interupted the payment. Is this WC licensed? If by tomorrow you have not heard from them, I would call the mother. I know that a wedding day is very hectic for the family and it could have been an oversight. That is all the more reason to get your money ahead. Good Luck. You did a nice job on the cake, and minimum of 500.00.

DRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DRose Posted 30 May 2006 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 15

icon_sad.gif If you don't receive the balance by weeks end, I would send a registered or certified letter, that she has to sign for, (get a receipt from the post office just in case you need it for small claims court).
Something like: final payment for (described cake) was due by (date), if balance is not paid in full by(date) I will be filing at small claims court for full value of cake plus late charges. (I'm sure she would rather pay the lower balance than pay the full value & additional fees. )

In my experience with people, it does not pay to give deals or favors. Being nice can be costly, business is business.
I think it's a good idea to have a contract and give customers a written copy of your policies.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 31 May 2006 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 15

you definitely need to get full payment in advance - last payment should be due before you start baking the layers you need, so at least you wouldn't be out any hard costs. but you also should include a penalty - if they haven't paid in full by x date, you consider it a cancellation and if it is x weeks prior to the date there is no refund due to them.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 31 May 2006 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 15

you definitely need to get full payment in advance - last payment should be due before you start baking the layers you need, so at least you wouldn't be out any hard costs. but you also should include a penalty - if they haven't paid in full by x date, you consider it a cancellation and if it is x weeks prior to the date there is no refund due to them.

DRose Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 12:21pm
post #11 of 15

Curious, have you heard anything yet?

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 12:29pm
post #12 of 15

Did you have a contract? I always take payment
14 days before date. Have had no problem.
Sending a payment with a certified letter is a great
idea, then you do have record. Sorry you're
going through this.
v

MsFarmFresh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsFarmFresh Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 11:02pm
post #13 of 15

Finally got the check for the remainder today (7 days after the wedding). This was not my first wedding cake, but the other 3 have been smaller, for close friends where everything was paid in advance. I have now learned LOTS from this EXPERIENCE and will make sure to do the following:
1. Charge more, this lady got a screamin' deal and I let her know that today when she showed up at my day job with the check
2. Get a signed contract (thank goodness I work with lawyers at my day job and can get their legalize help).
3. Collect final payment 1 week prior to wedding.

Thank you to everyone for all the advice and input on this very frustrating but education experience.

gapger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gapger Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:09am
post #14 of 15

glad to hear it all ended well for you!

DRose Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 1:01am
post #15 of 15

I'm glad you let her know what a bargain she got, and you have the rest of your money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%