How To Make Ivory Colored Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By ILoveBaking Updated 30 May 2006 , 3:31am by knoxcop1

ILoveBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveBaking Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:02am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

I like making the Wilton Buttercream frosting. As you know, it creates a nice white frosting. For my friend's bridal shower cake I need to make it ivory-colored. I just bought yellow and brown Wilton coloring. Has anyone ever made ivory-colored frosting without using butter? Would adding yellow and/or brown coloring do the trick?

Thank you,
Hanaa

8 replies
tgirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgirl22 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:04am
post #2 of 9

Wilton sells ivory coloring, and that is what I use! I think yellow and brown would work, but might be a little on the darker tan side. I buy my ivory at Michael's, but they have it at the Wilton webiste too. HTH!

tonenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonenia Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:04am
post #3 of 9

I'm no expert either, but what about using regular vanilla instead of the clear. That should give it an off white cast.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:06am
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure about using those colors to get ivory as I have never tried it, but if you don't get an answer from anyone else on how to do it, Americolor makes a nice ivory color that I have used. You just need a tiny bit.

Good luck!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:08am
post #5 of 9

Here is a wedding cake I just did using brown & yellow to get an ivory color....I thought it worked pretty well...the trick is to use miniscule amounts until you get the color you are looking for....
LL

ILoveBaking Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:12am
post #6 of 9

Thank you all for your responses. I was at Michaels today (buying brown) and never thought of looking for ivory coloring. I'll have to check next time I'm there.

ge978, your cake looks amazing. Would you say you used more yellow than brown or vice versa? Thanks for sharing your experience with yellow + brown to make ivory.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:16am
post #7 of 9

Thank you...that is so sweet.

I would say I used a little more yellow than brown. I started off with a tiny bit of brown ...I mean tiny...& then added tiny amounts of yellow. I used a toothpick to apply the colors so I could make sure I didn't put too much in. The buttercream had no butter in it so it started off really white. I hope this helps & feel free to ask me any other questions.

ILoveBaking Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:20am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the tip. I very much appreciate it. I'll let you all know how it went. And post a picture of the result.

Thanks again to everyone for replying so quickly.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:31am
post #9 of 9

Our instructor never even suggested the ivory color!

She just told us to use real vanilla instead of the clear, and real butter instead of the clear flavorings.

Works perfectly. I'll have to check that ivory out...

--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%