White Buttercream

Decorating By Kam Updated 25 Oct 2004 , 6:26pm by Ladycake

Kam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kam Posted 25 Oct 2004 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, whenever I make white buttercream I use vegetable shortening because I have only found recipes that use that. The problem is I hate the texture of the icing! Is there anything else I could use that could either 1) replace the shortening without compromising the white color or 2) anything that could cut down on that oily type texture. Thanks! Kam

4 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 25 Oct 2004 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 5

You would want to buy a hi ratio Shortening for this.. The one I use that I think taste good is called Sweetex.. I know some people that use a Sysco brand of the shortening I have never so I dont know about it but they like it ..

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 25 Oct 2004 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 5

Woo-Hoo!!!!!! High-Ratio Shortening all the way....

It sounds expensive... until you try it. Worth every cent!!!

Kam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kam Posted 25 Oct 2004 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the information. I have heard of hi-ratio shortening but I read in a cake book that it really only effected the ability of the frosting to accept color. Thanks, I will try it! I have been able to find Alpine brand but do you know of an online store that carries the sweetex?

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 25 Oct 2004 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 5

This is the place that I now of.. I would check with your local cake supplie store and see if they are able to carry it or if they have it all ready..

I have heard a few of the ladies on my site use that brand that your talking about so I dont see why you should not be able to use that..

http://www.chefswarehouse.com/Catalog/DisplayDetail.aspx?prd_id=GS235

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%