How Do You Cut Into A Doll Cake?

Decorating By paxpuella Updated 14 Jun 2006 , 12:30pm by ge978

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 29 May 2006 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 6

Sorry if this may be in the wrong place, but was wondering. If the doll cakes are made out of the domes, what would be the easiest way to cut the cake to serve to people? Would you cut from the bottom or start from the top? Since it wouldn't really be a layered cake, it wouldn't be an easy task to cut.

5 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 29 May 2006 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 6

I have on occasion torted the cake, putting the top 1/2 on a cake circle. In that case, you can remove the doll pick and just slice down to the cardboard. After you've sereved the top layers, remove the cardboard and serve the bottom layers!

(I would love to hear more suggestions though!)

Laroux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laroux Posted 29 May 2006 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 6

This might not help much but the way i cut a doll cake is to take the doll pick out and then cut from the top down.... but if it needs to serve a crowd of people, then the slices would have to be an inch thick to feed everyone. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(also would love to hear more sugestions! icon_wink.gif)

Laroux

Angiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angiecakes Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 3:28am
post #4 of 6

I would love to hear some suggestions too.

Lousaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lousaria Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 3:53am
post #5 of 6

I have done 3 doll cakes and I've cut each one the same way. (It worked the first time.) I make the skirt 4 layers, for the first 2 cakes I used the Pampered Chef batter bowl and for the last one I used the Wonder mold (Cinderella). I also made a separate 8"cake. I cut the dome in 3 layers and the 8" was the 4th. When cutting the cake I cut from the top, only going through the first 2 layers. When the first 2 layers are gone you can cut through the bottom 2 layers. This technique works great. It saves you from having these long skinny slices that crumble before you even get them onto your plate. I hope this helps.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 6

I've done it both ways: Take the doll pick out & cut from the top...or take the doll out, cut in half vertically & cut squares out of that...you get more servings that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%