TERRYHORTON Posted 28 May 2006 , 8:56pm
post #1 of

For the life of me I can't make a shell border. I have practiced and used the instructions from the WIlton site and am at my wits end. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Thanks

8 replies
Crimsicle Posted 28 May 2006 , 9:00pm
post #2 of

Sometimes, when I find myself rushing it, my shells look really bad. I have the best luck when I am really conscious of doing each individual shell on its own and taking it slow. Sometimes I catch myself doing more of an up and down movement instead of the build-up/taper-off/stop movements that make for better shells. I'm not sure that's the way Wilton would describe shell-making, but it is how my mind works. icon_smile.gif

daltonam Posted 28 May 2006 , 9:01pm
post #3 of

CANT REALLY HELP YOU--BUT THOUGHT THAT I'D LET YOU KNOW MY SON WANT A COWBOY HAT CAKE NOW--IT IS SO NEAT TO LOOK AT

SO SEE SHELLS ARE ABOUT THE ONLY BORDER I CAN DO BUT CANT TOUCH FONDANT-I DONT KNOW WHAT I'M DOING WRONG icon_confused.gif

TERRYHORTON Posted 28 May 2006 , 9:04pm
post #4 of

The only fondant on my hats is the brim, and I use half gumpaste so it will dry! the hat is mostly buttercream smoothed!!

loriemoms Posted 28 May 2006 , 9:22pm
post #5 of

I am not sure what the Wilton instructions are, but the way I do my shells is to not pull, but push. Make your shell by letting the buttercream push forward to whatever size you want, then release. Move your tip the distance FROM the first shell to where you want the tip to go and then let the buttercream push forward to meet the previous shell. I have found this is the only way to make my shells even. (although my shells always need work! hahaha)

I have always wondered how people make the shells realll thick, then have this long, delicate line then a thick shell. Do they use a small open star tip?

psurrette Posted 28 May 2006 , 9:38pm
post #6 of

When I teach I tell my students to say to themselves...
squeeze let it fan release preassure and pull away. This really seems to help. Keep in mind your shells according to wilton should be made at 9:00 with the back of the bag at 6:00 starting on the right side if the cake at a 45 degree angle. We as instructors are taught that is someone isnt coming ut right check your angle and the bag possition and where it should be accoring to the clock.Good Luck

angelas2babies Posted 29 May 2006 , 1:20am
post #7 of

The hardest part is being consistant. I actually count in my head...sometimes out loud... icon_redface.gif I squeeze, "1, 2, 3" release pressure, taper. Works good when you have peace and quiet and time to concentrate. Not too many of those days, though! icon_smile.gif

Good luck.
Angie

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 May 2006 , 1:33am
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRYHORTON

For the life of me I can't make a shell border. I have practiced and used the instructions from the WIlton site and am at my wits end. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Thanks

A lot of practice, I guess. At least for me, that's how I got to do them right. Have you tried the reversed shell? Its weird but I can do those better than the straight shell.. icon_rolleyes.gif

daltonam Posted 29 May 2006 , 1:53am
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRYHORTON

The only fondant on my hats is the brim, and I use half gumpaste so it will dry! the hat is mostly buttercream smoothed!!

maybe there's hope for me yet--thanks--& when i try one for his b-day (oct.) i'm going to need instructions--ha ha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%