Baking Spray Vs. Homemade Variety

Decorating By mgowan Updated 29 May 2006 , 7:44pm by DeniseMarlaine

mgowan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgowan Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 22

I use baking spray to make my cakes come out of the pan cleanly but it is kind of expensive for how many applications I can get from one can. Does anyone prefer something else? I recall some recipe for a homemade concoction around on the board somewhere.[/list]

21 replies
dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 22

I really like the spray better, but the good old flower and criso works just as well for me- i know this isnt much help - goodluck on finding your answer

buttercups Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercups Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 22

I am not sure if this is the one you are speaking about but I believe I copied this recipe for a cake release from another site. Equal parts of shortening, vegetable oil, and flour ie 1 cup of each or however much you need.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 22

I've tried a couple of things and spent more than I should have and have always come back to the good ole crisco and flour. Works perfect for me every time.

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 29 May 2006 , 12:18am
post #5 of 22

I always use PAM, I never had a problem.
Besides I don't like messing my hands with Crisco.
I think I just have to pay the extra! icon_rolleyes.gif

cutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutter Posted 29 May 2006 , 2:26am
post #6 of 22

I ran out of cake release and wrote the forum to ask for help. I was thrilled to get the recipe: equal parts flour, cooking oil and crisco. I brush it on and it's great! I won't use anything else from now on! icon_biggrin.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 29 May 2006 , 2:30am
post #7 of 22

I use the spray only for piece of mind. 1. No crisp edges. 2. never a stick or never even come close to a stick. I have even left cakes in over night and it pops right out. 3. You can never beat piece of mind when you are working on a cake. I would rather worry about decorating the thing vs if it will come out of the pan.

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 29 May 2006 , 2:43am
post #8 of 22

Hi,
I've been using the equal parts flour, crisco, and veg oil for two years..after I didn't want to pay the price for spray or Wilton's cake release, and i've never had a problem. Give it a try, I've been using an washed cake release bottle over and over with the squirt spout and if its to thick inside i just pop it in the micro for 5-10 seconds before using..and its liquid again. then I just use wax paper to coat the pans evenly.

mrboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrboop Posted 29 May 2006 , 2:51am
post #9 of 22

I will only use Baker's Joy. It may be expensive but I know the cake will come out everytime.

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 29 May 2006 , 3:44am
post #10 of 22

I tried the Crisco/veggie oil/flour concoction this week. It worked pretty well, but I did have a couple of spots where I had to slide a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. I've also used plain old waxed paper in the bottom of the pan (and almost always had to use a knife to loosen the sides). Question to the waxed paper users: Do you oil and flour in your pans before or after adding the waxed paper?

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 29 May 2006 , 6:28am
post #11 of 22

Another Baker's Joy user here. It is only $2 at our Super Walmart. I love it. I have been using it for 5 years. I have never measured how many cakes I get out of a can but I know it is quite a few to where it is only pennies per cake.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 May 2006 , 1:04pm
post #12 of 22

I tried the homemade equal parts of oil/crisco/flour about 3 years ago and haven't turned back. I love it, i always have the ingredients on hand and i just keep it in a tupperware container and brush all of my pans (i brush the entire sides) with a nice coating, lay parchment paper on the bottom then lightly brush the parchment paper. I only let me cakes cool 10 mins in the pan then I turn it out. Never had a problem.

I tried baker's joy and pan w/flour and i didn't like them b/c of the overspray. I really like just taking a pastry brush and coating the pan.

Leily

cutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutter Posted 29 May 2006 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 22

Ditto Leily! icon_wink.gif

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 29 May 2006 , 1:13pm
post #14 of 22

I agree with Leily I love the "goop" as I call it. I discovered a new brand of container called Lock n Lock (which I absutley LOVE) and I put the goop in one of those and just brush it on.
Melissa

DeniseMarlaine Posted 29 May 2006 , 1:57pm
post #15 of 22

Aha! Goop, then parchment or waxed paper, then a little more goop. I'll try that next time. I hate having to glue a 'broken' cake back together and hope it stays together long enough to be eaten.

sdfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfisher Posted 29 May 2006 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 22

I just line my pan with parchment or waxpaper....those waxtex sheets you get at Sam's....then give it a spray of the walmart equivilant of Pam...it's a 1.50 a can ....NEVER had any problem with sticking....even after leaving a cake sit overnite. I just run a knife around the edges and flip it over...pops right out every time!

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 29 May 2006 , 4:21pm
post #17 of 22

For those of you who make your own spray, how do you get everything to mix up equally since the shortening would be very thick. Do you microwave it or anything like that and then mix the flour and veg oil into it?

Thanks.

DeniseMarlaine Posted 29 May 2006 , 4:47pm
post #18 of 22

I just put everything in my KA bowl at room temp and whipped it up. I keep it in the fridge and it stays sort of thick, but not solid.

karebere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karebere Posted 29 May 2006 , 4:54pm
post #19 of 22

I bought the Wilton cake release and love it. I hate having crisco hands so the cake release is great for me. I did see the home made version on this site and will try it once mine is gone! I guess I will hold onto my bottle so I can re use it with the homemade stuff. As for the cake release, I have a basting brush that I use only for that. I cover it with a peice of saran wrap and it works great for the next time plus I don't have to use as much since there is residue in the brush. :O

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 May 2006 , 5:56pm
post #20 of 22

I made my first batch of pan grease and I love it!! No sticking! I just use a paper towel and wipe it around the pan. I like the ease of nonstick spray, but my cakes seem to get crispy edges when i use it.

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 29 May 2006 , 6:30pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseMarlaine

I just put everything in my KA bowl at room temp and whipped it up. I keep it in the fridge and it stays sort of thick, but not solid.

Thank you icon_smile.gif Now I know for sure how to do it for next time I need some. It never fails, anytime I try something new out, I always wonder if I am supposed to do anything else, no mater how simple the directions are, lol.

DeniseMarlaine Posted 29 May 2006 , 7:44pm
post #22 of 22

Yeah, this one is almost TOO easy to do. Anything that works that well should take more effort or skill or something icon_biggrin.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%