Bitter Aftertaste

Decorating By hnogden Updated 6 May 2007 , 1:31pm by Mac

hnogden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hnogden Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 12

Ok I made a cake yesterday that was black frosting and white royal icing. When my DH was eating it he said that the frosting was leaving a bitter aftertaste in his mouth. Could it be the black foodcoloring? I used the wilton gels. Does americolor do this too. Just want to make sure that I have a good tasting product.

11 replies
hnogden Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 12

anyone know the answer???

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 12

It was probably the wilton black. I've ruined whip cream trying to turn it red, adding too much wilton red that is.

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 12

Could be to much Black Gel. I myself like the Americolor Sorry I'm not much help.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 12

It's definately the black. I've never used Americolors before, but I read they are much deeper in color, so you don't have to use as much. Red will do it too, unless you use the no-taste red. Weird, though, some taste it, and others don't. I CANNOT STAND the taste, but my friend doesn't notice it at all...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 12

I like to start out with chocolate icing if I'm making black...unless the person is absolutely against chocolate icing.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 12

I advise my customers that black or red icing doesn't taste good (Wilton or Americolor - doesn't matter) and steer them towards a design with less of those colors. I had to make a cake like a Jack Daniels label once (all black) and I used black fondant so they could just peel it off and eat good tasting icing underneath!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 12

Yes it's the black color. I won't eat any black icing. I hate the taste. But if you start with chocolate its not as strong.

hnogden Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you so much. I had an idea that it was the icing. Now I know. I was just playing around with this cake so it was a good thing to find out now.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 12

Just looked at your cake, very pretty! It wouldn't taste as bad if the colors were reversed.

hnogden Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 12

thank you. I wanted something really dramatic and wanted to play with royal icing as well.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 12

Americolor is much better on taste and the depth of the color. But I usually start with chocolate frosting and tint black...the same with maroon.
Start with a light chocolate and then add coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%