Crisco - Weight Vs Volume

Decorating By VACakelady Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 7:33am by 2AugustAngels

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 5

For years, I have used crisco by weight for my buttercream. A long time ago, I used to measure cups of crisco and it took sooo long, so weight would be faster. I weighed many cups of crisco and determined that 1 cup weighed 6.75oz and I have used that ever since. Well, today out of curiousity, I measured out one cup of the new TF free crisco and weighed it and it came out to 5.5oz!!! I did this several times to verify and all were the same. Now I'm wondering if the new formulation has done this and I've been using way too much shortening in my icing. Does anyone else go by weight and have you tried checking your volume measurements with the new formulation???

I was checking out Cakepro's TF free shortening buttercream recipe and it calls for 760g/4 cups (190g/cup) crisco. Well, my 1 cup weighs 167g! Does anyone have any thoughts about this???

4 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 5 May 2007 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 5

i have always gone by weight....its less messy...i use 4 oz shortening and 4 oz butter. works fine for me.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 May 2007 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 5

Hi VACakelady,

Some years ago when I put that recipe in writing, I took the weight off of a 3-stick package of Crisco sticks, in which each stick is pre-measured at 1 cup, and I divided that weight by 3 to determine what 1 cup of Crisco weighed. I then stopped buying the sticks and strictly weighed out what I needed from the large 6-lb cans.

After reading your post, I went to my pantry where I found one of the short-lived packages of three 1-cup sticks of the green labeled Crisco that one of my cake students had given me some months ago, when the TF free Crisco was being marketed in our area separately from the regular old trans-fatty formulation of Crisco. That 3-stick (3 cup) package of Crisco also weighs 567 grams, which divided by 3 is 189 grams per cup of Crisco.

I don't have any of the blue packages of TF free Crisco sticks in my pantry so I can compare the weight, but maybe someone here does and can let us know what that package weighs.

KittyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyCakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 5

Bump

2AugustAngels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2AugustAngels Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 7:28am
post #5 of 5

AI just finished doing my research and found out the current 1 cup sticks weigh 6.66 oz which I conveniently rounded off to 6.75 since I needed 2 cups it was easier to just weight it at 13.5 oz for 2 cups. I never use shortening I don't like the feeling it leaves on the bridge of your mouth but I needed to make an icing that won't potentially melt.. So I did 27 oz shortening and 2 lbs butter.. And 4 lbs powder sugar I still have to see how it holds so I'll be back soon :). I used the recipe on the Wilton website (x4) and it turned out to be 16 cups but it was really fluffy I think I beat it too much.. But it will be on the fridge til Friday so we'll see

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%