Rice/wafer Paper

Decorating By marknrox Updated 14 May 2005 , 3:21am by peacockplace

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:05am
post #1 of 12

Just wanting to double check. Rice/Wafer Paper is edible correct? I'm thinking about using it to make playing cards to put on a cake. Does anyone know if that will work?

11 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:20am
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknrox

Just wanting to double check. Rice/Wafer Paper is edible correct? I'm thinking about using it to make playing cards to put on a cake. Does anyone know if that will work?

Rice paper is the same thing they give you in church.... Yes its edible..

They should work with no problem.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:33am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknrox

I think it will work but wafer/rice paper is kind of trasparent...might not look as real as if you do them in fondant or mold them with white candy melts. There a pic in the gallery of a cake made by gilpnh with stacked cards that were molded. Looks great. It's what I'll do if I ever need to make them.

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/15484/mini-Poker_Cake2.jpg

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 11 May 2005 , 11:06am
post #4 of 12

what is wafer paper used for?? btw, that card cake is awesome!!! icon_eek.gif

Lisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

what is wafer paper used for?? btw, that card cake is awesome!!! icon_eek.gif

It can be used for a lot of things like wings (fairies, bees), making butterflies or leaves, making paper (like a diploma or book pages). It can even be used to put pics on cakes by tracing an image onto it.

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 12

Since I don't have a projector or frosting sheet printer, I use wafer paper to trace images for use on a cake. The largest image I traced was the Fantastic Four cake, but I have also traced invitations for decorations on a cake. I used them for butterflies using the instructions posted on this website. After tracing and coloring the image, I place them on a fondant plaque and attach with piping gel.

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 12

I ended up remaking all of my cards out of fondant. I just need to color them tonight (suits & numbers). The candy melt cards are really cute, but the cards are too big and I don't have time to order the mold. The cake is due Friday.

Thanks for everyone's responses!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 12

How do you attach the paper to the fondant??

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

How do you attach the paper to the fondant??

with fondant you can use a little piping gel or even spritz a little water where the paper will go.

peacockplace Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks I'm going to try it tonight!

Lisa Posted 12 May 2005 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 12

Go with a very small amount of water to attach the wafer paper to fondant (kind of rub the water into the fondant so you don't have any big drops). I tried using piping gel and it made the colors on my wafer paper run.

peacockplace Posted 14 May 2005 , 3:21am
post #12 of 12

I tried it yesterday and it was great! I printed a message on the computer and then traced it with the wilton markers... it looked so good. I hate my writing on cake so this was a big help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%