Asking For Suggestions On Nemo Cake

Decorating By Joshsmom Updated 11 May 2005 , 3:47pm by Ladycake

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 11 May 2005 , 12:24am
post #1 of 8

I have a Nemo cake to do for a birthday a week from Saturday.

I have the 1st & ten pan I was going to use for the Nemo body. For the tailfin and the top fin what would you do:

1) Use fondant?
2) bake some additional cake and add that as a tail and top fin?
3) just use bc icing on the cakeboard?

It needs to be for 20 people so I'm thinking option #3 won't work as it doesn't look like you'll get 20 servings out of the pan

Option #2 may make just enough??

If I used option 1 I'm thinking of putting the football pan cake on top of a 13 x 9 oval additional cake. With option #1, I've never used fondant, would it be easy enough to use for the little bit I need? How do I color the fondant to make that orange?

Please all you experts, I'm pleading for help to get thru this as I'm stressing already. I have a wedding to attend on Sat, a walk I'm doing for Cystic Fibrosis on Sun, 2 cakes due for May 21st, and leaving for a business trip the 22nd so I have to pack sometime, plus work full time and still keep my 3 year happy. icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif I'm trying to get all my eggs in a basket and get this planned in some kind of order

Ok, I'm rambling now............

7 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 12:41am
post #2 of 8

When I did the clown fish I used the football pan and I just drew the fin tail on to the board and then the side fin was just frosting.. I have attached a photo to share so you can see...
LL

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 11 May 2005 , 10:24am
post #3 of 8

Thanks Ladycakes for your showing your Nemo picture. I love the tailfin you did. I'll definitely keep t his in mind. thumbs_up.gif

I'm guesstimating the footbal pan would only give about 8-10 decent size servings, would you agree?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 11 May 2005 , 10:46am
post #4 of 8

i think fondant would be a good choice for the fin, since it's easy to work with. icon_lol.gif

Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshsmom

Thanks Ladycakes for your showing your Nemo picture. I love the tailfin you did. I'll definitely keep t his in mind. thumbs_up.gif

I'm guesstimating the footbal pan would only give about 8-10 decent size servings, would you agree?

What I did was I made cup cakes also I used the pan for the adults and you can get 12 servings from that and then how ever many cup cakes and I put them on the board and added gummy sea fish...
LL

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 8

Here's a pic of one I did. I just stacked a 12" and 8" cakes and created an underwater scene. I'm really not one to make cartoon characters, etc, so this is my take on Nemo.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=3401&cat=0&pos=3

Lisa

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 8

Mine is not a elaborate, but I did the same thing and just outlined and filled in the fin on the cake board. I don't know how to post it with this message, but you can look at it under my photos. It really is a fun and simple cake to make.

Lisa

Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAA

Mine is not a elaborate, but I did the same thing and just outlined and filled in the fin on the cake board. I don't know how to post it with this message, but you can look at it under my photos. It really is a fun and simple cake to make.

Lisa

to post with your message once you type you message out if you scoll to the bottom a bit you will see Add an Attachment there your going to click on the Browse button and your going to go to your hard drive or where ever you have saved your photos and your going to click on your photo and your going to hit Submit just like if you were posting in the gallery but its going to post right here...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%