Cake For Funeral Luncheon

Decorating By zookeeper8 Updated 7 May 2007 , 12:07pm by Jenteach

zookeeper8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zookeeper8 Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:19am
post #1 of 16

How do you do a cake for that? They don't want his picture or any writing on it. I don't see much out there for pics either (guess it's not so popular, huh?) It's going to be a 12x18 sheet. Flowers? (which I'm not good at icon_cry.gif ) If anyone has done something like this PLEASE post pics!

15 replies
funfoodie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie2 Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:44am
post #2 of 16

Maybe just make it look elegant like a wedding cake. They usually don't have pics or writing on them. You can do dots and/or lace, if you don't want to do flowers.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:49am
post #3 of 16

maybe just a sheet with some pretty flowers and a nice border- simple not to fussy or perky- is it for a man or woman ??

if not flowers - I did some rosettes with a dot of color -the kristins bridal in my pics - just simple
with a nice full border

Jenae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenae Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:51am
post #4 of 16

Would it have to be decorated cake?

When my grandmother passed away, I remember the most wonderful lemon cake (bundt) with a simple lemon glaze.

I don't remember any other food that was brought, but that's just me being a cake addict. icon_smile.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:56am
post #5 of 16

Simple definitely better in this case.... man do I hate making sheet cakes. Frost with a simple border, maybe use colored frosting to make it a little more distinguishable from a grocery store cake. You could just do squares to show serving sizes maybe...

Have you thought of using fondant? You could use a diamond cutter with 2 colors of fondant that create a pattern like a sweater. Kinda cool looking, plain and appropriate for a man.

I made a stupid sketch in powerpoint and attached...
LL

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:01am
post #6 of 16

I noticed you said him.

Well I suggest a sheet cake, people just want a very small piece of cake at such events. You are usually not there celebrating, you are simply sharing with the family.

When my mom passed, we had it catered by my brother's friend, he made mini deserts. Eclairs, and cream puffs and things.
But for the burial, we catered that ourselves, for about 40 people.
I made a very simple cake white with pink Cornelli lace in the center with a simple shell border. I made a small cake that everyone enjoyed just like my mom was. Simple and elegant.

You could do something like that or do a cake like in this picture, but using a subdude picture like a few squares and diamond shapes overlapping or little ovals with blue lace inside. Since you dont like flowers and it's for a gentleman.

What alicegop did is pretty much what I was trying to convey!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=92938

All the best with whatever you decide, you know they will appreciated it.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:02am
post #7 of 16

I've done two of these.... here are the pics icon_smile.gif very simple, one is regular butter cream with yellow accents and a short simple poem. The other is all white butter cream with just squiggles of icing here and there to give it anything but a plain look as she didn't want anything fancy she wanted plain but this took away from it being TOTALLY plain icon_smile.gif

White w/yellow accents -- http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=80884

White on white -- http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=94179

Hope these help some icon_smile.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:33am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

White on white -- http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=94179

Hope these help some icon_smile.gif

Oh my goodies, that is pretty much what I did for my mom's burial reception.

This is very elegant.

All the best.

cupcakegirl27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl27 Posted 5 May 2007 , 6:06am
post #9 of 16

I just do a plain flat iced cake, scored so they know where to cut it at, Plain white with borders. If there is a bunch of older people there. I just ice the top. Leave the sides uniced and without the borders. Older people in my area don't like alot of the icing.

zookeeper8 Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, and the pics! I like the ideas of the cornelli or squiggles and also scored. I will ask her about it. She had mentioned the flowers possibly, but if there's a bunch in the center and just some dressed up corners, will that look girly or just not appropriate?Or maybe its just fine? I can manage to do some roses if thats a good idea, just very unsure about this whole thing icon_surprised.gif

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:13am
post #11 of 16

If flowers, perhaps simple rosebuds? Those flat ones they teach you in the Wilton's course-with the 104 tip? Or a sweet pea? Simple, yet elegant. You could make them yellow or blue so they weren't girly.

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:22am
post #12 of 16

I just baked a cake for a friend's funeral luncheon. I am attaching a picture of it. It was a lemon cake with classic white icing. I did a shell border with the lace on the top and sides. I guess it wasn't bad for my second cake.
LL

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:33am
post #13 of 16

I made a cake of chocolate on chocolate with roses and rose buds if she still wants flowers. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=82275

zookeeper8 Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:41am
post #14 of 16

Well, I went with cornelli and a large tip reverse shell border, with just one rose and some rosebuds in two opposite corners. Pastel blue and yellow. Thank you, wouldn't have thought to do lace without this! I'm going to bed now but I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

zookeeper8 Posted 7 May 2007 , 11:38am
post #15 of 16

Here is what I came up with thanks to this site!
[/img]
LL

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:07pm
post #16 of 16

Very elegant and simple. Well done.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%