No Response?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 5 May 2007 , 4:10am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:14am
post #1 of 16

So a couple months ago I did this cake, 70 serving purple/white gift cakes in my photos. It was for a lady who had been to a party with a sheet cake I did and heard good things and decided to order. She also said that not only did she want to order this bridal shower cake (the gifts) but that she also planned to order a groom's cake a few months later. She gave me the photo to copy and a different tint to use and paid and I delivered the cake.

Well after delivery I heard nothing....which is fine...however we had been working on a groom's cake already, tossing around ideas...but since the bridal shower she will not reply to my emails (I only sent one or two as to not be a nag) and has not ordered any other cakes, even the groom's cake which would have been any day now I think.

The gift cake was nearly identical to the original photo she sent me, and the color was identical to the swatch she sent. I can't think of what could have possibly gone wrong that she no longer calls or emails? Or should I assume that no news means no complaint?

15 replies
lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:22am
post #2 of 16

Maybe she's out of town? Or sick?
I'd send one more email, giving her a deadline; if you don't hear from her by then, let her know that you'll have to take her off your calendar so that you can accept other orders.
From what I've read here, many people intend to order, then Aunt Martha pipes up that she wants to make the cake.
I wouldn't worry about it.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:24am
post #3 of 16

i had that happen to..this lady ordered a cake from me..sent me a picture i copied it..all the while saying she might want to order another cake..cake was delivered she gave me a tip..i emaile dher a couple days later to see how eeryting went and i havent heard back from her..but i guess no news is good news? i dont know..i wish at least an em ail saying..loved it thanks! but nada..

im sure if they were dissatisfied they would contacted you/me.

Kitagrl Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:24am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawyer

Maybe she's out of town? Or sick?
I'd send one more email, giving her a deadline; if you don't hear from her by then, let her know that you'll have to take her off your calendar so that you can accept other orders.
From what I've read here, many people intend to order, then Aunt Martha pipes up that she wants to make the cake.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Hmm that's true. I did already send her an email letting her know I would take her off the schedule and she never replied. I just feel a little nervous that something happened with the cake (I worry about hair or eggshell, etc) but surely she would have actually complained....

Oh well.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:25am
post #5 of 16

I agree with isawyer. Was she completly aware of price? Sticker shock maybe? If the cakes didn't taste good, you would have heard about it, so ditto isawyer.
Amy

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:26am
post #6 of 16

Do you know who's sheet cake she had before she ordered from you?

Maybe you could contact that person and casually ask if she heard from this person?

I know I did a cake for a friend last month and between our schedules it took 2 weeks before we could meet up and talk. The cake was great - thank goodness!

It's weird that she will not even reply. Maybe something else happened that had nothing to do with the cake too?

Well I sure hope you can get some info from someone. May 19th is just around the corner.

I love your stork cake by the way - it looks awesome!

Good Luck.

Kitagrl Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:26am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonicakes

I agree with isawyer. Was she completly aware of price? Sticker shock maybe? If the cakes didn't taste good, you would have heard about it, so ditto isawyer.
Amy

She paid ahead of time and she got the 70 servings she asked for. She was not there at delivery, but the girls setting up the room were. I just haven't heard from her again.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:30am
post #8 of 16

Could the wedding have been called off? It happens.

RedPanda

Kitagrl Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:31am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

Could the wedding have been called off? It happens.

RedPanda

That's actually a really good point...hmmm....good thought!

The lady was an extremely talkative person over the phone so it just was weird to me that suddenly everything is so quiet...but then if that happened after a bridal shower that would definately shock a family into silence. Hm.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:32am
post #10 of 16

maybe they called off the wedding!

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:44am
post #11 of 16

I know the feeling. I delivered a 3 tier bday cake for a little girl turning !!!!!!!!!!!!(they were having a huge party)the mother was so happy when she saw the cake, she said she would be calling me for her sons cake.....and I never heard from her again.then I had a lady call from out of state for a cake,delivered it,the restaurant said it was great and she would love(I never did meet her,she wasn't in town yet),and never heard BOO from her again.It does make you wonder because these people have your # and Email to send a response after,be it good or bad.not everybody is going to rave about your/my cakes,but if they at least told us there was a problem we would figure out how to avoid that situation again.

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:46am
post #12 of 16

ahhhh, sadness if they called off the wedding icon_cry.gif maybe thats why. It would be kind of embarassing to say "hey, cant buy the cake b/c the weddings off"

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:47am
post #13 of 16

I've been to your photos and I cannot imagine that this lady could possibly have been dissatisfied with the cake. You do such beautiful work!!! There are so many things that could have happened to change her plans about the groom's cake. But it was extremely rude of her not to respond to your emails.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:50am
post #14 of 16

I just looked at your pics and your work is fabulous,I think the problem might have been her end not yours icon_smile.gif

creativepassion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativepassion Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:06am
post #15 of 16

Okay, here's my take on the situation. I've just noticed by experience that when someone sees my cakes, they're excited and wrapped up in the moment of how beautiful it is so they say, "Oh, I want you to make my so & so or such & such a cake for fill-in-the-blank-occasion. But I think what happens is all the excitement wears off after a while and they reason themselves out of needing such a fancy cake and they don't mention to you that they changed their minds........Just a thought anyways!

Your cakes are AMAZING and GORGEOUS in every way. What ever the reason she's not responding to you, just let it go, there's always another client right around the corner!

Take care and hope this helps!!

Lovely cakes again!

Camille

Kitagrl Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:10am
post #16 of 16

Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%