What Is A Cake-Decorating Must Have Of Yours??

Decorating By dmaam Updated 31 May 2006 , 7:06pm by winter

dmaam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmaam Posted 26 May 2006 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 72

BESIDES the kitchenaid... what is a cake-decorating must have... and/or never run out of?

Just thought that this would help the "just starting out" cake decorators like me - on what supplies they need. Plus, I thought that it would be a good thread.

Thanks - have a good Memorial Day weekend!!!

Michelle usaribbon.gif

71 replies
Vmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vmoore Posted 26 May 2006 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 72

My turntable. Have you ever tried to do a cake without one? It can make you insane! icon_biggrin.gif

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 26 May 2006 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 72

Hey Michelle...my second must have (next to my KA) is a rubber spatula...I use it for scraping, mixing, pouring etc etc etc.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 26 May 2006 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 72

All my Fondant Molds and textured rolling pins...besides KA for mixing the batter.. icon_smile.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 72

Cake release!

I will never go back to the old crisco/flour method.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 72

My "Food Saver" , basic model, I make up fondant and store it in my drawer, don't have to worry about it drying up. If I have some left over, I seal it and use it when I need it.

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 72

I would never ever be able to do without my 6" spackle knife. You find them in the hardware store in plastic & metal. I have a plastic one and love, love, love it! Check out my pics...gets the side of your cake super smooth.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 72

Butter.

Just kidding...

Hmm...turntable and Cake Release for sure, large angled spatula (two of them), and my new favorite things are the Fondant Fun rolling mat and white fondant rolling pin from Wilton. Parchment paper...nonstick cooling racks...lots of cardboard rounds...disposable decorating bags, two sizes of cake levelers (LOVE those too).

Oh--That huge wide icing tip, can't remember the name, but I NEVER apply icing right to the cake with a spatula any more, I LOVE that thing! That might be my real #1 thing when decorating...

Oh, and a wrist brace for decorating--my hand shakes when I'm piping, and I find that simple brace really helps.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 72

Oh, you just learn so much just reading this kind of thread!!!! A wrist brace to help shaking, Yes!!! finally an answer.. thanks

Oh my favorite thing???? uh, uh, my computer so I can get cake ideas and help with ISSUES!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 72

My new favorite thing is my own refrigerator in the garage ONLY for my cakes!!!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 72

All my luster and pixie dusts!! icon_biggrin.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 72

Refrigerator in the garage. Gosh I thought I was doing good when I got the KA, now I have to get another fridge - great idea.

Seriously though, love my pasta machine and my sugarcraft black/red clay gun, oh and just learning to airbrush so that will be up there also! I can improvise with everything else.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:21pm
post #13 of 72

I need to know where to pick up a good wrist brace. I bought some that wilton sells, not much support IMO. or at least for me.
And I thought i was the only one using cake release. I need to buy more. back when i was starting my teens we used to use oil & flour. But i notice too much flour left over on the cake.

my favorite thing... hmm i can't say i have one. I just have way too many supplies. But love the book & this site for ideas.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:22pm
post #14 of 72

For me, it's really good real vanilla extract. Do not give me imitation or clear. To me, they have a metallic aftertaste, and I would rather have to add some white paste color to my icing to brighten it than to have that taste in my mouth for the rest of the day.

Popcorn salt would be #2. I never use regular granulated salt in my icing, and popcorn salt is difficult to find here, so I always keep a large quantity of it handy. I re-order when I get to my last half pound.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 72

I found my hand/wrist wrap/brace at Walmart when I started my Wilton course 3 years ago...and I LOVE it. It probably cost less than $10.

It's just a neoprene-type comfy stretchy wrap that fits on your hand like a snug glove with the fingers and thumb sticking out, and it has a velcro long "wrap" part that you wrap around your wrist and secure at whatever tension you like. I never really decorate without it.

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:40pm
post #16 of 72

Most definitely a turntable! Love the turntable... And my computer because I've gotta have my daily dose of Cake Central.. And let's not forget the most wonderful thing ever to happen to my kitchen... My kitchenaid mixer... It's a beautiful thing.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:41pm
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Refrigerator in the garage. Gosh I thought I was doing good when I got the KA, now I have to get another fridge - great idea.

I'd kill for a KA, but I'll have to wait until my sunbeam croaks first!! icon_cry.gif

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 27 May 2006 , 1:02am
post #18 of 72

Turntable....couldn't ice a cake quickly and smoothly without it.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 27 May 2006 , 1:43am
post #19 of 72

Necessities:
projector and airbrush
great icing and a decent spatula
basic tips and rose nail

Nonslip rug mat
I know that a lot of you use this for deliveries... but you can also put it on your turntable to keep the cake from moving while you ice!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 27 May 2006 , 1:52am
post #20 of 72

Turntable.
Good vanilla.

LOTS of DAWN liquid. (with bleach alternative!)

I want an extra fridge and a KITCHENAID...WHahhhaa.

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 27 May 2006 , 1:57am
post #21 of 72

Well everyone said all the good things I was thinking of except for one thing,... and I know I am totally bias since I sell Pampered Chef, but if it wasn't for my measure all cup, getting Crisco out of a plain old measuring cup would have been terms to commit me from going crazy! I can't imagine doing frosting without it, and my KA. icon_biggrin.gif

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 27 May 2006 , 4:02am
post #22 of 72

I just started using foam core board for the cakes bases - mostly for tiered/stacked cakes. They work so much better for me than cardboard.

Oh, and have you ever heard of running out of powdered sugar???? Or marshmallows??? I actually believed I had an endless supply in my cabnet - untill yesterday. None was to be found! This was both pathetic and sad....all at the same time. So off to the store I go.

As for dawn, they have the new foaming kind out now (like the handsoap foam kind) It's awsome! I'm out of that too, by the way.

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 27 May 2006 , 4:11am
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickitilghman

Cake release!

I will never go back to the old crisco/flour method.

I SO AGREE with you on the cake release.. That stuff is WONDERFUL!!

I'm very curious about this wrist brace ? It helps you from shaking?? lol My hand shakes bad... EDUCATE ME! icon_redface.gif

My favorite thing besides my KA..... My tip organizer... Its the shelf organizer with little clear drawers... (DH uses them for screws but they work better for my tips I think)

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 May 2006 , 4:50am
post #24 of 72

The organizer is great. I have one up on my wall for my tips and couplers. My cake decorating must have is disposable piping bags. I go through so many of them. I couldn't do without them. And doing parchment cones never seem to work for me!

Chef_Stef Posted 27 May 2006 , 7:42pm
post #25 of 72

Helendelk

The wrist support I use really makes me feel like my hand gets less fatigued and shaky. Try one--look in the pharmacy area at Walmart--or with the Ace wraps, bandages, ice packs, etc. There should be a whole assortment of leg/arm/ankle/wrist wraps and braces...

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 27 May 2006 , 7:56pm
post #26 of 72

Everyone has mentioned all the good ones I would have said, but I will add that I love my non-standard measuring spoon set and cup set, like 2 Tablespoon spoon, 1 1/2 teaspoon spoon, 1/8 cup etc.

I know, I know, sounds like something you don't really need, at least that is what I thought, until I started to use them, lol. You really cut down on the steps in the measuring process.

sweetoccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetoccasions Posted 27 May 2006 , 8:11pm
post #27 of 72

I'm still new to cake decorating, but right now my favorite is my new turntable and the large flat icing tip. I can ice a cake flat in a quarter of the time it used to take me and get faster to the fun stuff.

Now I'm dreaming of a KA and a seperate fridge. My dh is not going to like my newest wish list.

Wal-mart - here I come for a wrist brace.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 27 May 2006 , 8:43pm
post #28 of 72

Hey - Chefdot! I was going to mention the Pampered Chef spatula's! Of course I forget what it's called, a "mix-n-??" But it is a heavy duty spatula that can mix ANYTHING, doesn't melt, doesn't stain, is guaranteed for a year or something. The large one is $13, and the medium is $11, I have 2 of each. I started with 1 big one & have been washing it between every color & item I need to mix. I LOVE THEM!!

I also enjoy using everything that everyone else has listed, except I need to get into airbrushing, haven't tried yet.

And... my #1 decorating tip for those fine details....... does anyone know of a smaller tip?

.......I actually should have said "toothpick", because I do a lot of my small detail work with a toothpick, because a #1 sometimes isn't small enough!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 27 May 2006 , 9:58pm
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCakes

And... my #1 decorating tip for those fine details....... does anyone know of a smaller tip?

I believe they sell a #0 tip. I have not mastered the #1 yet, my lines are always squiggly, lol. #0 would just do me in. icon_lol.gif

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 27 May 2006 , 10:13pm
post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCakes

I believe they sell a #0 tip. I have not mastered the #1 yet, my lines are always squiggly, lol. #0 would just do me in. icon_lol.gif

PME makes a #00 tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%