How Do I Make Flowers?

Decorating By NikiG Updated 5 May 2007 , 2:21am by tcturtleshell

NikiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikiG Posted 4 May 2007 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 7

icon_redface.gif

I am a beginner beginner & I need help piping flowers. I tried royal icing with a stiff consistency & it still didn't hold. Any suggestions or there's no help for me? icon_surprised.gif) I'm a quick learner & I don't mind trial & error about a million times.

6 replies
JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 4 May 2007 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 7

What do you mean it didn't hold???

Tell us a bit more and maybe someone can help you. Royal usually dries really quickly so I'm surprised that your having trouble.

Let us know and I'm sure someone will be able to que you in on what you need to do.

thumbs_up.gif

loncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loncake Posted 4 May 2007 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 7

Have you tried buttercream? thats easier for me...Good luck!!!

NikiG Posted 4 May 2007 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 7

My royal icing was a stiff consistency, & the base didn't stay peaked, it like lumped, & then I tried piping petals around them and they looked wilted. I added more confectioners sugar & mixed it for another 5 minutes & it still didn't hold. That's about as specific as I can get without getting confusing. icon_rolleyes.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 May 2007 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 7

Sounds like your royal icing was too stiff. Getting the wilted look means it's too thick. Make sure to sift the powdered sugar before you use it. Some people do & some don't. I always sift. You shouldn't have added powdered sugar but water a little bit at a time, so it doesn't get too thin. I'd rather do flowers with royal icing then BCI. I have no luck w/ BC. My hands are too hot so RI is my choice thumbs_up.gif

NikiG Posted 5 May 2007 , 12:07am
post #6 of 7

icon_smile.gif thank you tcturtleshell...I will try that tomorrow. I'm making a boxing themed cake for my hubbys friend. I'll try to post a picture or something thank you. & when I learn how to make buttercream for icing I'll try that too. Thanks again!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:21am
post #7 of 7

Good Luck Niki~ The problem could also be practice. Everytime I start to make roses it takes me making about 10 roses before I get it right. LOL What kind of flowers you were making? I forgot to ask you~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%