How Do I Do Cakes With Summer Coming And The Heat?

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 10 May 2005 , 11:03pm by Ladycake

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 10 May 2005 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering... I have some orders in June.. for b-day and baby shower cake.
what do you do in the heat? anything different?

7 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 10 May 2005 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 8

I dont normally use meringue in my frosting but in the summer, I will because it helps to keep the frosting from breaking down.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 May 2005 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

I don't change my BC...it gets a little shiny in the heat but I've never had it melt. If the cake is going to be outside on a 90 degree day...then I might worry.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 10 May 2005 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 8

I live in the south where it gets really hot... I just keep my house cool. When I'm ready to transport, I cool my car down and put it in the trunk. The trunk stays nice and cool. Just don't stop along the way! Well, not unless you leave your car running and the a/c turned on. Unless the cake would be in 80-85+ degree weather, I wouldn't worry much about it.

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 10 May 2005 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 8

I actually had a cake order that I had this problem with. Several years ago, I did a 2 tier cake for a July bridal shower. Unfortunately, I thinned my icing a little to much for the humidity in my area....I glanced in the dining room where the cake was sitting, already decorated, and was I surprised....the icing on the bottom tier had slid down the sides and making the top tier lean! I learned my lesson from that cake...I make sure my icing is "thicker" for the hot, humid months now. Fortunately, I was able to scrape off the icing and re-do the cake so that it wasn't a total loss.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 10 May 2005 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:

You can also add a product called Stay Ice to your frosting that helps with the humidity and heat for the summer... NOW you cant sit your cake in the sun you know but...

I use Stay Ice a lot and love it... its just a powder you add to your normal frosting..

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 10 May 2005 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycake

Quote:

You can also add a product called Stay Ice to your frosting that helps with the humidity and heat for the summer... NOW you cant sit your cake in the sun you know but...

I use Stay Ice a lot and love it... its just a powder you add to your normal frosting..

Oh! great victoria! where do you buy that at?
thank you!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 10 May 2005 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycake

Quote:

Oh! great victoria! where do you buy that at?
thank you!

I get mine from my cake supplie store. if you need me to find someplace on line for ya let me know... You might want to check with your cake supplie store and see if she is able to get it for you ... the product is called Stay Ice and its a white powder...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%