Rolling Mmf Question

Decorating By lcottington Updated 25 May 2006 , 9:04pm by lcottington

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 25 May 2006 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 4

Okay so made MMF for the first time -- first batch did something way wrong and it got really hard and almost killed my KA...second and third batches came out great. Let them rest overnight in airtight container. Last night I kneaded my MMF to the color I needed -- took a couple of short zaps in the microwave to get it soft enough to knead but did finally get it done. Used Crisco on my counter and hands to keep from sticking.

Okay, tonight I am covering my cake. Have the cake done and buttercreamed and ready to go. So now I am going to roll out my MMF...do I use the Crisco again on the counter and rolling pin? Is it going to effect how it adheres to the cake or how the decorations will adhere to the outside of the covering MMF -- I am doing a 3D cake and need it to adhere well to the sides.

Never done this before -- help!

Lisanne

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 May 2006 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 4

the counter or rolling surface can be lightly touched with crisco. The dough should not be sticky. The light crisco will not effect putting in on the cake or attaching decorations.

Lesley71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesley71 Posted 25 May 2006 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 4

definitely grease the rolling pin when you roll the fondant onto it to transfer it onto the cake, and take extra care to make sure your fondant doesn't stick to itself during the transfer.

My first attempt at MMF did just that.......kinda frustrating after all the work I put into it!

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 25 May 2006 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 4

Crisco it is!

Wish me luck!

Lisanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%