Frosing Help Needed!!!

Baking By ShelBell Updated 27 May 2006 , 5:52am by rezzygirl

ShelBell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelBell Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 5

I have been making my frosing using the recipe by wilton for basic frosting. I like the taste, however, when I try to color it...it turns out blotchy and looks almost as if it is seperating. I have heard some talk about the half butter/crisco recipe...what is this? Does it color good? I can't seem to find a recipe for frosting that tastes good and colors good! When I need to color frosting I resort to using wiltons canned icing becasuse it colors good..but I would like all of the frosting on the cake to have been made from scratch...any ideas???

4 replies
FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 5

I usually use the 1/2 crisco and 1/2 butter - I never have trouble with it separating from the color. Good luck!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 5

Welcome to Cake Central. Are you using the paste colors? I sometimes have trouble with it having dark spots. I think it may be that I idn't mix the colors in well enough. I usually mix in the color and let it sit for a while, then go back and re-stir it to make sure the coloring is mixed in well. I have started using mostly Americolors for my icing. It is so easy to use and it mixes in very easily.

The half butter buttercream, I think, is in the recipe section on this site and it tastes much better than the all crisco icing. It is basically the same recipe except you substitute butter for half the crisco.

Good luck
Cindy

ShelBell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelBell Posted 27 May 2006 , 5:41am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the advice! I tried the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco recipe today and it was great! It was soo perfect before I added color, but after I tinted it it got all blotchy again! What could I be doing wrong???? This is soo frustrating! Where can I buy the americolor at? I am in Michigan and the only stores I have found so far to buy supplies at are Jo-Ann and Michaels. Do I just have to order it on line? Thanks for all the help! This site is wonderful!!!!!! Every time I have signed up for a class...it gets cancelled, so I have been teaching myself with all the advice and info from cake central!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 May 2006 , 5:52am
post #5 of 5

Shelbell, are you using good quality confectioner's sugar? And if so, are you sifting it before mixing? Also, you can purchase Americolors right here at CC. Just click on the shop tab.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%