How Do I Or What Do You All Use....

Decorating By Liezee22 Updated 7 May 2007 , 3:09am by gateaux

Liezee22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liezee22 Posted 4 May 2007 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 17

to bake a cake and make it half/half? I am thinking of using a foil dam but will that work? I have to make a cake for my friends daughter as a going away cake. She is moving to California. I am doing a cake that is 11x15 and the kids want white/chocolate. I am thinking of doing a drawing of the state and marking the state capital and also the place of where the girl is moving. My daughter loves this idea but they are only 13 so I was thinking of something a little more fun! what do you all think? Remember I am still new to this so make it easy on me! icon_biggrin.gif
thanks
Liezee22

16 replies
mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 4 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 17

I have never done it but have read where people do make a dam out of foil to do a half and half cake. I have also read where two people pour batter into the pan at the same time. As for tour design for the marker you could make a fantasy flower - that would add a little girly touch to it. Also you could put some around the sides.
HTH
Melissa

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 4 May 2007 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 17

When I did my half and half cake I supported one side of my pan on a rolled towel and put the batter in the low half. I mixed my other batter and poured it in the pan and pulled out the towel. The middle had a 45 degree angle of both flavors. Looked kind of cool. madhatter.gif
mary icon_smile.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 17

I have used the foil dam as well, but I started making two separate cakes and putting them together instead. For me, the white cake would be done before the chocolate and then became a little dry because it had to cook the entire time the chocolate did. It was "okay" but not great.

Your cake sounds really fun. I love the idea of the capital, but if you've tried a FBCT before, maybe you can do a simple one with a cartoon character or a girl with a suitcase or moving trunk?

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68

When I did my half and half cake I supported one side of my pan on a rolled towel and put the batter in the low half. I mixed my other batter and poured it in the pan and pulled out the towel. The middle had a 45 degree angle of both flavors. Looked kind of cool. madhatter.gif
mary icon_smile.gif

Like nutcake68, when I make a 1/2 an 1/2 cake that is what I do. If you do not mix the center they will kind of just mush together but it will not marble unless you really mix it.

Just one thing, make sure you use batter with the same grease base. What I mean is one cake uses butter, use butter in the other do not have 1 cake using oil and the other butter. They will not mix and when you turn it over you will have an awfull mess, I've been there done that only once!

Good Luck.

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 17

i either prop up one side of the pan just a bit and pour one flavor them mix the other and pour into the empty side OR i stand on one side of the pan and dh stands on the other side and we pour at the same time. works like a charm either way.
good luck
Amy

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 17

I would just bake two cakes and cut each one in half and freeze the extra halfs for a later date.

Liezee22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liezee22 Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 17

Thank you all for your help icon_biggrin.gif I'll post a pic when I'm done...I don't have to make it until next week!

Liezee22

shannonfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonfl Posted 4 May 2007 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 17

You could make two layers one white and one chocolate and then place one on top the other that way no funky manuveuring with that foil trick and everyone gets a bit of chocolate and white.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 4 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 17

I always make different flavored cakes in the same pan - no foil dams or anything. One lady even wanted three flavors once. I did it. It was the 12 X 18 pan, so three mixes were to go in there anyway. I now have a clause where the customer can order as many flavors as there are 1/4 sheets worth of cake. 1/4 sheet is only allowed one flavor. 1/2 sheet - two flavors. 3/4 sheet - three flavors and so on...

gateaux Posted 4 May 2007 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

I always make different flavored cakes in the same pan - no foil dams or anything. One lady even wanted three flavors once. I did it. It was the 12 X 18 pan, so three mixes were to go in there anyway. I now have a clause where the customer can order as many flavors as there are 1/4 sheets worth of cake. 1/4 sheet is only allowed one flavor. 1/2 sheet - two flavors. 3/4 sheet - three flavors and so on...

lynda-bob , That is a great Idea, that way everyone is happy and gets a little of their favorite cake. How Clever!

Can we borrow that trick or do we have to give you royalties!! icon_wink.gif

Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

Lisa422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa422 Posted 4 May 2007 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 17

What about making one round chocolate, cut it in half and place it on top of the other. Do the same with a white. You'll have 2-2 layer 1/2 cakes. Put them together and you have a 2 layer round cake. 1/2 chocolate & 1/2 white. Just make sure to tort and carve them so they both match up. Although I've never tried it, but if I had to do it, that's what I would do.

monkee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkee73 Posted 4 May 2007 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 17

I just did this a few weeks ago...I had my 8 yr old help me and we poured our vanilla/chocolate batter at the same time and I eased them both to the center and it worked just fine! If you have two people, it's a cinch!!!

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 4 May 2007 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 17

I just had a thought reading all of this. Do you want to get funky? Take your spring form pans and place them in your sheet cake pan. Maybe take some tomato cans with both ends cut open. Enough that would hold a mix worth the batter. Put in your batter to appropriate height. Put your batter in the sheet cake pan. Take out all the other pans. Viola! Polka Dotted cake. No I never tried it. I just thunked it up. icon_rolleyes.gif
mary

hey, I worked hard to earn my name above my avatar. icon_eek.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 17

Gateaux, Thanks for the kudos! I love when people love my ideas! Yaaayyyy icon_biggrin.gif hehehe I sooooooo want to try your idea, nutcase68! That's a good one! thumbs_up.gif

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:20pm
post #16 of 17

sounds like a good idea..........polka dotted cake!!

gateaux Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:09am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68

Polka Dotted cake. No I never tried it. I just thunked it up. icon_rolleyes.gif
mary

hey, I worked hard to earn my name above my avatar. icon_eek.gif

I think that is a great idea too.

Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%