Need Some Help With A Bratz Theme Cake

Decorating By SimplyDenyse Updated 25 May 2006 , 1:37pm by mommabuda

SimplyDenyse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyDenyse Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 3

OK I really need some help. Im still pretty new at cake decorating, I've taken the wilton course 1 and a friend liked the cakes and wants me to do her daughters cake next weekend. Its supposed to be in a bratz theme. Well I wanted to try a stacked cake in BC with an image plaque on top and some fondant accents.

Well I did my fisrt stacked cake for practice. 1st the bottom layers (9 in) ended up being to thin and the top (6in) too high. I used the recommened batter in each of the wilton pans as suggested on the paper but it didn't look right. So my first question is what is the recommend cake pan sizes and amount of batter you would put into each pan. Im thinking maybe I should have used two 8in pans with the two 6in?

2nd I used cream cheese icing to decorate, It got dry and clumpy and wouldn't smooth right. Im hoping regular BC icing will be better.

3rd each of the layers had big gaps is there an easier way to make each layer look smooth? I just cut thick straws between each layer and peeled off bottom cardboard on the bottom of the cake and sat it on the other cake. Was this a mistake? Should I have just layered the cake with the cardboard on top of the bottom layer instead?

4th I used wilton fondant for my practice cake, it tasted so bad. I want to make stars for the bratz cake should I still use fondant or does anyone have a better idea? maybe chocolate molds? Its a kids party So I wanted to use something the kids would also enjoy.

I've attached my practice cake and my idea for the bratz cake? Any suggestions would really be appriciated.
LL
LL

2 replies
Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 3

Okay, for the cake height I always fill my pans to about 1/2 or 2/3 full, it raises up enough to cut even with the pan so I know that it is the proper height. I would also use the 6" and 8" pans, I think that would give it a good look. As far as the fondant, I do not like the taste of Wilton fondant so I use the MMF (Marshmallow fondant) recipe here on this site.
As far as the gaps, once you have a level cake you shouldn't have the gaps anymore.
I think that you idea for the cake will be great.

Hope that I could help in some way!

Good Luck! icon_wink.gif

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 25 May 2006 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 3

i just did a bratz cake for a little girl's bday. i'm not sure about doing stacked cakes yet but if you wanted a different idea, this was fairly simple:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%