Where Can I Buy (Or Can I Make) Chocolate Modeling Clay?

Decorating By amiegirl Updated 8 May 2007 , 12:51pm by mbelgard

amiegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amiegirl Posted 4 May 2007 , 3:51am
post #1 of 7

And why would this be better to use than fondant or gumpast when making decorations for cake? Thanks!!

Amie

6 replies
bejewelled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bejewelled Posted 4 May 2007 , 9:28am
post #2 of 7

Hi there, do a search for it on Cake central, there have been many many previous threads on the topic - there are recipes for it too here.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 4 May 2007 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 7

Use one bag (14 ounces) of candy melts to 1/3 cup corn syrup. Melt the candy then add the syrup and mix, pour out on a piece of wax paper and then let it sit overnight. Knead it to make it soft and use.

It depends on what you're doing which is best, the clay doesn't dry quite as hard as gumpaste or fondant but it tastes better.

In my pics the rocks and cacti are made of candy clay and all the accessories except the quill on my book cake are too.

Chickwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chickwood Posted 7 May 2007 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 7

I have tried making my own modeling chocolate twice now, once using Hershey Kisses and once using Toll House morsels. Each time it has end up too sticky to work with (I had never worked with the candy melts before and didn't know if they were the same as milk chocolate).

I must admit I was getting pretty frustrated, so I almost gave up on it, but my husband (the one that has to eat my experiments in cake decorating) does not like fondant so I would really like to pursue chocolate. I just couldn't see how I could cover a cake with something that sticky, let alone make flowers from it.

Was it sticky because I was using the wrong type of chocolate or is this just a price I have to pay to use chocolate instead of fondant?

Also has anyone tried Satin Ice 5# Dark Chocolate Fondant? Does the fondant have a chocolate flavor to it or is that just the color?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:54am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickwood

I have tried making my own modeling chocolate twice now, once using Hershey Kisses and once using Toll House morsels. Each time it has end up too sticky to work with (I had never worked with the candy melts before and didn't know if they were the same as milk chocolate).

Was it sticky because I was using the wrong type of chocolate or is this just a price I have to pay to use chocolate instead of fondant?

I have made modeling chocolate several times and it's great! No - morsels are not the same as candy melts, I think the candy melts have more oil or something? You can't use them interchangeably. The candy melts are not expensive, and you can buy different colored ones. Also, if you want to make your own color, use the white, then get color flo and you can use the gel colors. (if you use gel colors in chocolate/candy melts without color flo it will "seize" it). I use the 14 oz bag and 1/3 cup corn syrup as mentioned above. I like to make roses and other flowers out of them - the kids gobble them up!

Chickwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chickwood Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for the reply,,,I will buy some today and try it again : icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 7

YOu can use regular food coloring without a problem if you are adding it to already formed candy clay (it alreay has water based liquid in it).

If you don't have access to flo coat you can use a little shortening with your gel food colors to prevent seizing if you are just molding candy. It also works if you get a little water in your candy for some reason or if you just want it thinner for piping or making chocolate transfers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%