Help With Leaves

Decorating By BakerJoe Updated 5 May 2007 , 3:39am by dshlent

BakerJoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerJoe Posted 4 May 2007 , 12:34am
post #1 of 8

I can't figure out why whenever I pipe leaves, I never get a point at the end (it always separates into 2 sections when I pull the tip away). Any suggestions? Is my icing too hard? Thanks.

7 replies
somercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somercakes Posted 4 May 2007 , 12:54am
post #2 of 8

I am sorry I don't know the answer but I am glad that it isn't just me! I have just got into decorating and so far hae only tried a few character cake pans but have been practicing alot on wax paper and cupcakes!

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 4 May 2007 , 12:59am
post #3 of 8

You can add piping gel to your icing and it will help make a point on the leaf. Also if you use tip352 for leaves you will almost always be able to get a point.

BakerJoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerJoe Posted 4 May 2007 , 1:06am
post #4 of 8

What does the piping gel do to the icing to help it make a point? Thanks.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 4 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #5 of 8

I had the same problem when I first started making leaves. I soon realized that I was not releasing pressure early enough. Release before you think you should and keep pulling back. I also agree with "2yummy", tip 352 ends the point problem.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 4 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #6 of 8

Take a butter knife and open the tip a little bit. Trust me, it's just that simple. icon_smile.gif

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 4 May 2007 , 1:12am
post #7 of 8

piping gel helps make the icing a little stretchy so when you pull the tip away it will help strecth the icing to a point instead of just breaking off.

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:39am
post #8 of 8

I had the same problem up to a month again and once I started using the tip #352 with a little piping gel in the icing i've never had that problem again!!!!! It made a world of a difference in my leave!!!

~Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%