carflea Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:10pm
post #1 of

Which is the best one as far as heavy duty and larger cakes?

11 replies
coffeecake Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:16pm
post #2 of

I Love my kitchen aid 4.5 and could not live without it. However, when I wanted to 'upgrade' to a larger size, after much looking and research I went with the Viking 7 quart. Both are sitting on my counter and I use them for different things. I went with the Viking, as it was larger than the bigger kitchen aid, I preferred the tilt head to the lifting bowl, and the viking had more power. The viking whips up double batches of stiff cookie dough like nothing and has been great for bread dough.

With the kitchen aids, be sure and check the motor size/power as there are different combinations with the same size bowl.

Good luck !

m0use Posted 26 May 2006 , 5:43pm
post #3 of

I have the Kitchenaid Heavy Duty Stand Mixer
5 quart bowl
lift-bowl style
10 speeds
325 watts
Special price at Kohl's Department Stores
In-Store (Local Time)
Friday May 26th 3pm-11pm 189.99 for Night Owl Price
Saturday, May 27th 7am-1pm 189.99 for Early Bird Price
Should also be available online. But don't know times for online.

carflea Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:00pm
post #4 of

Thanks m0use. I didn't realize how close you were... I live in Menomonee Falls. I will have to check it out.

m0use Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:27pm
post #5 of

Hehehe, cool!
I like mine...it can easily handle mixing a double batch of calidawn's buttercream icing recipe..
The only complaint I have is sometimes it's harder to mix small batches of stuff in it, like a small batch of MMF in the mixer does not work too well, the dough hook does not seem to "catch" all of the ingredients for a thorough mixing. But that's what a good hand mixer is for!

cakes47 Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:38pm
post #6 of

I love my KA. Both the Pro Hand Mixer and the KA
Pro 600, 575w stand mixer. They 'plow' through all
kinds of tasks.
Try it, you'll like it!!!

missyek Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:50pm
post #7 of

I have the KA HD with the 5 qt. lift bowl and a KA Pro 6 with the 6 qt. lift bowl. I like them both. I can squeeze 4 batches of BC icing in the Pro 6 and it handles it perfectly!

I also have the KA 9 speed professional hand mixer and that thing is an awesome work horse!

Amish Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:01am
post #8 of

I also have a KA hand mixer and it works great, really great actually compared to my last mixer that burnt out after making 2 batches of royal icing. I would LOVE to get a KA countertop mixer though!

sweetsuccess Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:03am
post #9 of

I have a kitchen aid mixer for years. It frees my hands to add ingredients--it's a real work horse.

MaryD Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:04am

Amazon is having a sale this weekend 199.99 for the 5 quart.[/url]

Chef_Stef Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:12am

I have a KA 6-qt professional and love it! I got it as a refurbished machine from an outlet mall here several years ago, and I have used it almost daily ever since. It will easily make a quadruple batch of Wilton's decorating buttercream.

Only thing I've done wrong to it, which will probably cause its replacement (with another 6-qt) is to use the pasta-making attachment, which overworked the motor.

I'm with the above note about the big mixer's not working for smaller things--I'd get a 6-qt and a 3.5 or 4-qt if money were no object--then I could mix small batches of things as easily as large. Also there is a 5-qt, I think it's the Artisan model, that can take a 5, 4, and 3.5-qt bowls; now THAT would be ideal...

myholidayboyz Posted 27 May 2006 , 3:47pm

I'm happy to see people with the 325 watt motor (Artisian series) KA! icon_smile.gif I have one and with both my hubby and I starting cake decorating classes I was worried that I'd need to buy a bigger one. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%