Okay, Does Salt Cut Sweetness Or Bring It Out?

Baking By jdelectables Updated 25 May 2006 , 2:25am by kaecakes

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:41am
post #1 of 10

Hi, all ~
I've got a question re: what else, buttercream frosting. I have seen 2 different thoughts on adding salt to frosting. One is the salt will cut the sweetness of the frosting and the other is that adding salt will enhance the sweetness of the frosting. What is true? I would think it would enhance the sweetness, as when you add salt in cooking, it enhances and brings out the flavors of the food you're adding it to.
Thanks for your answers!
Julie

9 replies
siealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siealy Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:43am
post #2 of 10

Well, I don't know exactly about the BC question, but I do add salt to watermelon to bring out the sweetness in it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:44am
post #3 of 10

I use the plain popcorn salt in mine and it definitely CUTS the sweetness in it when I use it icon_wink.gif

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:45am
post #4 of 10

I use it in bcf because it does cut the sweetness down a bit. Too much will make it bitter. It does enhance the sweetness in baking so I guess it does both. This much I know, when I have forgotten to put it in my frosting, I can really tell....too sweet!

cdstem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdstem Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:47am
post #5 of 10

the recipe that i use for icing i got from a family friend that use to do cakes. she always added salt to hers to cut down the sweetness and i have tried it with and without and it does cut it back a little. everyone that tries my icing says that it isnt too sweet at all. hope this helps you a little.

kae133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kae133 Posted 24 May 2006 , 4:19am
post #6 of 10

I think that it enhances the sweetness in baking because there isn't an overwhelming amount of sweetness. In icing, I believe it cuts the sweetness of the powdered sugar if you use enough salt. I think I read that enough salt (but not too, too much) tricks your taste buds from only picking up on all the sugar taste. Instead of your taste buds only identifying the sugar taste, it divides its senses between the sugar and salt. ---I think this is along the lines of what I read. It does make sense, though.

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 10

ditto what kae said. I think it cuts the sweetness when we talking bc because of the high sugar content. But I am no Alton Brown.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 10

Adding salt does help cut the sweetness but it also enhances the vanilla flavoring!

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:14am
post #9 of 10

Couldn't it also enhance the butter flavor too? I guessing so.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:25am
post #10 of 10

Salt will cut the sweetness in your icing, but try adding it to your water so you don't end up with spots in your icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%