Cake Mix Doctor Book - Is It Just Me...?

Baking By projectqueen Updated 19 Jun 2006 , 4:23pm by ElectricHoney

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 24 May 2006 , 2:46am
post #1 of 33

I have been reading rave reviews about these recipes for a while now so I just picked this book up at the library.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but the recipes don't sound all that appealing to me. Maybe they taste better than they sound? Is it just me?

Is there a universally loved recipe from this book that I must try?

32 replies
tgirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgirl22 Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:02am
post #2 of 33

Never seen the book, sorry! But if you find any great recipes, please share!!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:02am
post #3 of 33

I wasn't impressed, either.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:09am
post #4 of 33

I love the book. Actually I have the Chocolate cake doctor book. Every recipe I have tried has gotten rave reveiws. "My favorite Birthday cake" recipe and "the perfect chocolate cake" have become my staple yellow and chocolate cakes...plus every other recipe I have tried has not let me down. Maybe I am only one though....JMO

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:19am
post #5 of 33

Everyone here and at the choc shop where I work loves the Mint Chocolate Cream Cheese pound cake from Chocolate for the Cake Mix Doctor. At the choc shop, we make it with a dark chocolate instead of the Andes mints called for in the recipe.

There is also a low fat yellow pound cake recipe in the original book that's a good one if you need a pound cake.

Deanna

tschamberlain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tschamberlain Posted 24 May 2006 , 4:32am
post #6 of 33

I've only tried a few but have gotten great reviews from family and friends on them. The basic butter cake is now one of my staples. icon_smile.gif

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 24 May 2006 , 4:39am
post #7 of 33

MY family loves the fresh orange cake with fresh orange cream cheese frosting thumbs_up.gif. I have both books and love the recipies.

ml

marina34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marina34 Posted 24 May 2006 , 6:11am
post #8 of 33

I have her three books, and love "Perfect Chocolate Cake", "Ever so moist chocolate cake", "turtle cake", and a few others. Everyone I've made them for seems to love em!

sweettreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreasures Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 33

I think they need more colored photos... I never bought any of those books yet.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 33

I bought the book recently and it has pages in the front that show colored photos of every single recipe.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 33

All the recipes I have tried have been excellent!! icon_lol.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 33

Same here, I use them all the time. I have "The Cake Mix Doctor" and "The Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor".

tortica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tortica Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:28pm
post #13 of 33

I bought tihis book and returned it next day when I figured out cakes were not made from scratch... Uselss to me since we have no cake-mixes sold hereicon_smile.gif

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:29pm
post #14 of 33

The few recipes I have tried have not been all that impressed.

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 33

i have both the ones mentioned and have really liked all the recipes I've tried!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 33

I love this book! Not only does it have great recipies, especially for chocolate cakes, it has great tips on baking cakes throughout the book.

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:36pm
post #17 of 33

Piña colada cake, cream cheese pound cake, ice cream cake, chocolate-pistachio cake, darn good chocolate cake, Susan's lemon cake, fresh orange cake are excellent. The chocolate almond cake was good but not rated excellent because I don't like the combination of chocolate with almond. I wasn't impressed with the cola cake/frosting and one cooked chocolate frosting recipe I tried (name?). All others have been a hit.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 33

Thought it was just me. I gave my book away.

carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:43pm
post #19 of 33

Personally i think i want to experiment more from scratch.... I'm trying to eliminate the trans fat.... Are there any good from scratch books out there???

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:48pm
post #20 of 33

I forgot to mentioned that I used applesauce instead of oil for the recipes. I bake from scratch all the cakes I sell but I've made the above recipes for family, friends and church gatherings. They always ask me to make these.

bennettsrus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennettsrus Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:51pm
post #21 of 33

I borrowed the books from the library and I really loved them. I have never made carrot or lemon cakes and both that I made turned out great. I am considering purchasing the two books.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 24 May 2006 , 4:02pm
post #22 of 33

I love this book! I use the basic butter cake, basic buttermilk devil's food and the darn good chocolate cake all the time. If you use cake mixes I think that this book is a great way to jazz up your mix. The basic recipes are great to build on and experiment with. I love to throw in whatever I have in my kitchen and also play with the flavors by changing the vanilla extract to another flavor or adding some lorann oils. I plan to get the chocolate and cupcake book soon.

Vmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vmoore Posted 24 May 2006 , 4:03pm
post #23 of 33

Almost all of my cakes are from these books. Try Susan's Lemon Cake, Darn Good Chocolate Cake, and the Cherry Chocolate cake. Just made the Darn Good Choc cake last week for a party of 40 and got about 10 requests for the recipe. thumbs_up.gif VERY dense, VERY moist, VERY tasty! HTH!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 24 May 2006 , 5:29pm
post #24 of 33

every cake I have baked from that book everyone loves.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 24 May 2006 , 5:34pm
post #25 of 33

The carmel cake/icing and turtle cake are GREAT!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 May 2006 , 11:24pm
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carflea

Personally i think i want to experiment more from scratch.... I'm trying to eliminate the trans fat.... Are there any good from scratch books out there???

I haven't tried it yet, but i think "The cake Bible" by Rose Levy is suppose to be really good for scratch.

As for the cake mix doctor. I have tried a few and i wasn't impressed, but the people that ate them, loved them. I thought they were dry, but everyone else said they were really moist (guess i am used to my really really moist cakes)

So I would suggest trying a few and seeing how you like them

Leily

jennjd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennjd Posted 24 May 2006 , 11:28pm
post #27 of 33

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cake doctor books. ALL of them. I was very skeptical at first, but now I swear by those recipes. They give great guidlines for how to safely play around with cake mixes.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:35pm
post #28 of 33

I LOVE MY CAKE MIX DOCTOR BOOK!
I have several favorite cakes marked, and I have stains on my pages already because I use it so much!

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 29 May 2006 , 2:59am
post #29 of 33

I absolutely LOVE my Cake Mix Doctor books, it is actually the book that inspired me to start baking in the first place! Not only are there delicious cake recipes (with color pictures of every cake), but there are excellent cheesecake recipes (chocolate mocha swirl cheesecake with a devils food cake mix crust---to die for!), and the cookie recipes are awesome as well. Every dessert I've made from this book have been met with rave reviews. I recently purchased her Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor book, so I'll have recipes I can make for my daughter's preschool. Thanks Anne Byrn!

kathyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyg Posted 29 May 2006 , 3:12am
post #30 of 33

I also LOVE these cookbooks. I do one recipe that is always a hit. Everyone orders these during the holidays from me. Its the ever so moist chocolate cake on page 37 (Chocolate cake mix dr) with the white chocolate frosting (pg 424( cake mix dr) I then put chocolate shavings on it. Also, if anyone is interested- the dinner dr is excellent and also the cupcake dr( great for kids and bake sales). I bought the cupcake dr book from QVC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%