Make Tassels?

Decorating By Crimsicle Updated 25 May 2006 , 2:01am by Crimsicle

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:42am
post #1 of 8

I need to make some tassles to hang at the corners of a pillow. I've never done this, and have a general idea of how to approach it, but some of you make really NICE tassles! Are there tricks? Do you use gumpaste or fondant? How do you hang it? Toothpick through the back? I think that part's got me more bumfuzzled than actually making it...although I really want it to look real, and I could use any guidance you might want to share.

Thanks!

7 replies
cakesbyjackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjackie Posted 24 May 2006 , 1:33am
post #2 of 8

I have yet to actually do one on a cake, but using a garlic press with fondant is a sure fire way to get nice, even, round tassels. ( I was going to do a graduation cake with a cap on it which is why I was looking!)
I'm sure others will have better advice, but I thought I'd throw that out there for you!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 May 2006 , 2:30am
post #3 of 8

U can use a clay gun, garlic press. Start with a small cone of fondant or gumpaste. This is the inside of the tassel. Squeeze out long,thin through strands through your gun/press. The strands should be the same length as the cone. use water to glue the to strands to the done. covering it completely. Then you can add some small balls of gumpaste/fondant to the top of the tassel to make a decorative top. Then you are supposed to take no.22 wire and make a hook and make a ball put that on top of the tassel and then afix that to your cake. This is from Colette. You will probably play with it and make look great. But this is the general idea. Will try and find some more in my books.

ccoth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccoth Posted 24 May 2006 , 2:37am
post #4 of 8

This may seem like a silly reply, but would the "grass" tip work to make the tassle? I've never tried it...just a thought.

fearlessbaker Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:27am
post #5 of 8

i tried it for hair and it worked. But depending on how many strands you need it could take a while. If you are lucky enough to have the spagetti attachment to the KA that would be absolute! Not the pasta attachment. Once I was desperate and the ricer was brought out. Didn't work all that well.

Crimsicle Posted 24 May 2006 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the details, Fearless. I have a couple of Colette's books. Maybe one of them has tassle directions. I am embarrassed to admit I didn't think to check there. Maybe there are pictures? I think I can probably wing this, but some people's tassles are sooooo nice. I want mine to be among 'em! icon_smile.gif

fearlessbaker Posted 24 May 2006 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 8

These instructions are from Margaret Brauns book, Cakewalk. It's a magnificant book. Way over my ability though. to begin with make sure your square is a little over an inch -- just read through then you will understand. In her tassels the strands are loose when done. I have tried so many times to scan and send but it doesn't work. She uses the word sugarpaste instead of fondant I guess.

Roll out a thin sheet of sugarpaste and square the edges off with a paring knife. With the knive cut a comblike sequence of 1" parallel lines as close together as you can without breaking them off. ( best way to describe is when the strands it look like mop strings but you leave the top intack so the strings don't come off.

Gently roll up the combed pieces into a tassel and then squeeze the top end together.

Lift it and give it a little shake. Cut a small strip from remaining sugar paste and wrap it around the top of the tasses. Attach the tasses to the end of a fondant rope. Hope this helps.

Crimsicle Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:01am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for that addendum. I would have never thought to try that. I'll give both types a try! I really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%