Working With Fondant

Decorating By AgentCakeBaker Updated 12 May 2005 , 3:34pm by rC

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 13

I had a hard time this weekend working with Wilton's fondant icing. When using the molds, I could barely see the design once I removed the fondant. I also had a hard time removing the fondant from the mold and a hard time rolling the mold. icon_sad.gif

What am I suppose to use when rolling fondant? I used powdered sugar on my table and tried to roll it out.

Do you use any type of lubricant for the molds?

Let me know what I need to do to make rolling fondant and making fondant molds more successful.

12 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 13

Hi agent!
I just made MMF for the 1st time over the weekend. when rolling it.. i found it very helpful to rub Crisco on the rolling pin and i layed down wax paper on my table, taped it down and then rubbed crisco on that as well..

maybe you can rub some crisco in the mold too, then it will just pop right out

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 13

Also depending on the type of mold, maybe put it in the freezer for like 5 minutes for the fondant to get hard and be easier to pop out.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 13

Would I need to bend the molds to pop it out or should it just pop out on its own?

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 13

You could dust the molds with cornstarch too.

I use powdered sugar when I roll mine out. You'll have to lift it a few times, maybe turn it and dust with more powdered sugar to keep it from sticking.

What kind of molds are you using that the design doesn't show?

AgentCakeBaker Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 13

I used a fruit mold, rose mold, and a coffee mug w/ saucer mold.

I use a little powdered sugar when rolling the fondant but I guess I didn't use enough.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 May 2005 , 2:13am
post #7 of 13

I think the Wilton fondant is harder than some of the other brands/types. Do you think that could be why it didn't take on the details?

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 10 May 2005 , 6:51am
post #8 of 13

Hi...i just wanted to add that a cooking spray would work....thats the only thing that I use. i tried 10x and cornstarch but still found it to stick. crisco seems too greasy. i just spray my surface and rolling pin and if needed my hands it works great.

also if you are rolling out a small amount for flowers etc. someone told me that if you use a vynal place mat that should keep it from not sticking. so far thats worked as well with anything else added to fondant.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks guys for the advice! I will try these methods on my next project.

nathalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathalie Posted 11 May 2005 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 13

I just did MM fondant yesterday, and it went very smoothly. I crisco-ed everything, the bowls, dough hook, spoons, rolling pin,etc. Then I used a tip from this message board.... I used my cutting mat for quilting.(Since I'm doing more cakes than quilts right now) I put crisco on it and rolled out my fondant on it. Worked beautifully. I might try non-stick spray as was suggested, next time.

rC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rC Posted 11 May 2005 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 13

You might want to try this....we did it on the cell shapes letters. You first roll out your fondant or gumpaste and put plastic wrap over top (needs to be thin plastic wrap) and then put your mold on top and roll the rolling pin over the mold. We popped out perfect letters. I have only tried it once and so not an expert when it comes to other molds. The mold had to be hard plastic also

AgentCakeBaker Posted 12 May 2005 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 13

More great ideas. I'll definitely try using the clear plastic wrap. I have plenty of that around the house.

Thanks guys!

rC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rC Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 13

I know it worked with the letters but I am not sure it works with other molds. I would think they would have to be hard plastic and not too deep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%