Wilton I Class

Decorating By mistyjade Updated 25 May 2006 , 3:27pm by missyek

mistyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistyjade Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 7

I've recently signed up for a Wilton I class at a local store, and I was hoping that some of you who've been through it could give me an overview of what it will consist of, how many cakes we'll do and what they're like, etc.

BTW, I was reading some older posts and someone mentioned having to get a class supply list, but I was told at the store that I would just buy the pre-packaged kit the first night (when it was discounted) and that would suffice. Do I have to go back and ask for a list, or is that only for the higher level courses?

6 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 7

The very first night of class you just watch the instructor make icing and decorate a cake - she should show you the different textures of the icing - (thin, medium and stiff)

The next 3 classes you will take a completely iced cake to class and decorate it during class....and you take home a pretty cake that you did!

You may want to take some additional items on the 2nd night of class.....bigger spatula, paper towels, icing colors, additional bags for decorating (disposable or featherweight) I also take a tall drinking glass to set the bag in to fill, makes it a little easier than holding and filling it at the same time.

I am sure others will chime in with things that they found helpful to have besides what comes in the kit. - if you are taking the class at Michaels, you get 10% off anything you buy the first night. Take one of the 40% off coupons to buy your kit!

Your instructor should give you a list of things that will be helpful for you to have - just ask, and take notes! thumbs_up.gif

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 7

Quadcrew pretty much covered it. Though, on the first night of the class, the instructor should also let you know other supplies you will need in addition to the kit. If you have nothing at home, there will be a few other things that you will need to get--meringue powder, piping gel, parchment triangles, colors, etc. If it is at Michael's--use that 10% discount and any coupons you have!

mistyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistyjade Posted 24 May 2006 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks. So am I correct that the first cake will be the rainbow, followed by the piped clown cake, and then the final is a floral type?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to a good tasting buttercream for Class I that's also not going to melt? I'm taking the course in June and it is likely to be somewhat warm. I can keep my pre-iced cakes for class in the refrigerator at work until 5:00 PM, but my class doesn't start until 6:30 PM and my car hasn't got air conditioning, so any suggestions would be welcomed.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 24 May 2006 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 7

Our instructor wanted us to use the class buttercream that's in the book. The first cake we did, she had us imprint it with a cookie cutter and fill that in with stars instead of doing the rainbow. The second cake we got to choose clowns or drop flowers. The final cake we did roses and sweet peas. Have fun!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 May 2006 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 7

For your first class i would suggest using the class buttercream. It wasn't my favorite, however it helped me figure out what the different consistancies are suppose to be. Now i know what my regular buttercream is and if i try any other recipes i have something to compare them to. I did quite a bit of decorating before i took the classes, but learning the correct consitancies was one of the very big things that helped me out.

Good luck, you'll have a blast.

Leily

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 7

It is preferred that you use the Wilton calss buttercream icing to practice with in class. It really is a great icing to practice all the different techniques and consistencies with. The class buttercream icing should hold up fairly well in "normal" temps. If it is going to be extremely hot, I would bring the incing into your office, but no need to put in the fridge. Same with the cake.

The first cake is to practice pattern transfers (the rainbow), second cake--either the clowns or drop flowers, and the final cake is to decorate with roses. Though, for the final cake, I tell my students that if they plan to do the rose cake, to have a back up plan--just in case the roses give them a tough time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%