Bridezilla Strikes Again!!!

Decorating By barbaranoel Updated 24 May 2006 , 3:53am by dianagreen

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 34

Some of you may remember that I had done a wedding cake for a "friend of a friend" for $225 (The one in my album) and she proceeded to complain afterwards (the monday following the wedding) that the cake fell over and some frosting came off when they cut it (problem was they tried to cut the layers while they were on the pedestals icon_redface.gif and then the cake had to travel almost 3 hrs to get there)

Okay, so I get an email from her "I don't appreciate you putting a picture of my cake on your website unless you put a picture of it falling over and frosting coming off"

I am so mad right now icon_mad.gif I am refraining (very difficult right now) from emailing her back because I don't want anything in writing. I initially emailed her with my apologies that things did not go exactly like she had planned.

Basically she got her cake at cost. It cost me over $50 to deliver it and it was a HUGE cake. I pretty much did it so I could have a picture for my album.

I've talked to people who were at the wedding and said she cut it wrong. It was her fault but up til now I haven't wanted to say anything negative or mean to her and I've wanted to be professional about it, but I'm on the verge of telling her where she can stick it. I so want to call of work tonite and hop in my can and go do some old fashioned butt kicking. My friend is ready to go on a road trip right now.

Guess the reason for this post was so I could get it off my chest and think it through and hopefully get some ideas on how to handle this. The wedding was April 1 - GET OVER IT!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.
Barb

33 replies
doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 34

Ugh. I'm so sorry she's being so nasty about it, and can completely understand your need to vent. You did your part and got the cake there and set up - it looks beautiful. It's not your fault it came apart because she cut it incorrectly.

Hugs and vibes comin' your way. icon_smile.gif

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 34

Wow, some people are not nice at all. I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 34

I remember that!

If your cake was "so bad" for her, why is she looking at your website anyway????

Don't stoop to her level. She's only doing this to get a reaction out of you. She's probably the type of person that you couldn't please no matter what.

I really can't believe she emailed you just to tell you that. I'd want to whoop her butt too, but then what would she go around saying about you?

I seriously would think about replying to her email...with an apology stating that this email is for potential customers to use. (and then block her address).

Good Luck whatever you choose to do about this.....but don't fret over it. It's not worth your time!

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 34

P.S. When you cut the cake at the wedding the whole thing is not going to stay together at this point! So if it falls when you cut into it (even if she had been cutting correctly) it's not a big deal, cause it's time for the cake to disappear!!!!

barbaranoel Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 34

BTW - I "bounced" her email back to her - so it looks like I never received it

doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcesunshine20

P.S. When you cut the cake at the wedding the whole thing is not going to stay together at this point! So if it falls when you cut into it (even if she had been cutting correctly) it's not a big deal, cause it's time for the cake to disappear!!!!

Exactly. Good point!

Dedonk21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dedonk21 Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 34

That cake is Huge. I can't belive she has the nerve to say something like that to you. You made her an awesome cake at a price she couldn't have gotten half of that for somewhere else. People never cease to amaze me. You did a great job, If she couldn't figure out how to cut it correctly so it wouldn't fall apart, she shouldn't blame you. Don't feel bad because she's being grr about it. Know that you did something nice for someone else, it gave you more experience, and you know what happened to the cake is not your fault. Some people just don't know how to appreciate a good thing. So keep up the good work and don't let ungrateful people ruin what you got goin on. icon_smile.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 34

It's a good practice to give brides cake cutting instructions and go over it with them. Let the dingbats know that they have to take the cake apart. just assume they don't know anything! You can print them out from the back of the Wilton books or some of the sites even have them. Be sure to tell them that the dinky & cutsey knives they use aren't for this type of cake.

In the meantime, try to put everything in perpective, we are not being bombed or starving to death as many others. I have to do this at least a hundred a times of day. How do you bounce messages back. Sometime I need to do that-- especially when someone wants something free! Love to know. Thanks

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaranoel

BTW - I "bounced" her email back to her - so it looks like I never received it

Good for you!!!!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 34

OMG that's horrible, I remember the thread. Some people simply amaze me sometimes. I can't believe this has happened to you.

egarman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egarman Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 34

What a beautiful cake. She just needs to move on and realize that she got the deal of a lifetime. You way undercharged her and then delivered it 3 hours away....boy she doesn't know how lucky she is. You'd think she'd have other things to worry about being a newlywed!!! Keep your chin up and consider the source.

Ellen

debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:38pm
post #13 of 34

that cake was absolutely gorgeous,, I can't believe she would have the nerve to complain about anything,, whether it fell or not, for the price she got it for. This was for a friend of a friend?,, what did your friend have to say about it.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:38pm
post #14 of 34

She doesnt deserve a response.. i know how difficult it is not to defend yourself cuz she is in the wrong.. but i wouldnt even validate her... taking complaints from a customer and making sure they are at peace is one thing. But her email was not a complaint it was a vicious attack and doesnt deserve a word in response.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by egarman

What a beautiful cake. She just needs to move on and realize that she got the deal of a lifetime. You way undercharged her and then delivered it 3 hours away....boy she doesn't know how lucky she is. You'd think she'd have other things to worry about being a newlywed!!! Keep your chin up and consider the source.

Ellen

I agree. That lady totally got the deal of her lifetime. Don't let her get you down, some people just can't appreciate things that are done for them or anything for that matter. Eventually she will move on to someone and somthing else to complain about. I say just IGNORE her. Just consider it an learning experience and keep plugging away.

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:59pm
post #16 of 34

If you were happy with the cake and did the absolute best then forget what the loser said. She obviously has no clue about cakes and by her comments it shows. I do feel sorry for her husband!!!!! My sympathy to him.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:06pm
post #17 of 34

First off, your cake turned out beautiful. You are trying to be professional and gracious and that's admirable. (Good job on the email bouncing, too!)

My question is...what in the world does this crazy lady want??? To make snide remarks every once in a while? I agree with you...she needs to MOVE ON!!!

Depending on if she tries to contact you again, I may start penning a note that depicts your confusion at her immature attacks and explain what she did wrong to cause the problem. Avoid calling her some choice names that befit her shrewish character. icon_wink.gif

You did a great job. I know it would be nice to have that validated by the bride, but sometimes people just don't know how nasty they are.

Good luck!
Angie

barbaranoel Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:06pm
post #18 of 34

Thank you - you guys are great! I feel a little better about it and you made me smile about it.

I don't really have to much sympathy for the groom - he looked like he wasn't much better than her.

I tried to talk to them before I left but no one was too concerned about anything I had to say at the time.

To bounce an email - at least on my account - you go to the "MESSAGES" section and there's a command for bounceing emails. For some reason when I did that to her, I felt just a teeny bit better.

Barb

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:10pm
post #19 of 34

You are doing the best thing by staying level headed and I suggest just keep ignoring her. Lawsuits, the small claims variety, are often done out of anger, not recourse.

I like the suggestion of leaving a print out of a cutting guide behind and it covers your bases.

My friend works in a high end retail kitchen store and he has all kinds of bridezilla stories. If people only knew how they act after the wedding (as you witnessed with your cake.) The bridal registry is the big scam. After the wedding, they come into the store and try returning most of the gifts for cash, you know, so they can go buy that sofa they always wanted. Many times they are surprised, and throw fits, when they discover that some of the items where purchased many years ago or no longer in stock (ie, re-gifted gifts.) Nothing angers a bridezilla more than to learn her expensive mixing bowels are now only 99cents ea or can't be returned for cash and that is all she gets, lol.

There are many more funny stories...

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:20pm
post #20 of 34

Your cake was gorgeous, and I can't BELIEVE you made it for her for that price! The witch!

This hammers home the fact that ALL OF US should make certain the person cutting the cake knows how to go about it. I've seen far too many 14-year old second cousins that they're trying to SOMEHOW shoe-horn into the wedding be saddled with the cake cutting. People don't realize that it has to be done correctly. Not only can you end up with situations like this...if they don't know how to cut it, they can end up giving huge globs of cake to each guest, resulting in your cake not going as far as it was meant to. I've had that happen, and it's not a pretty situation. After that, I ALWAYS had a cake-cutting discussion with the bride, and if possible, the actual person doing the cutting. Nowadays, I'd probably put it in writing and make the bride initial it, due to the serving size issue, if nothing else.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:31pm
post #21 of 34

I'm with you, stick with being cordial and not stooping to her level. Leave the picture on your website. It is beautiful!

RUBornAgain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RUBornAgain Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:40pm
post #22 of 34

I would love to see a picture of this "falling cake", would you send me your website address? People don't understand the time and patience it takes to make one of these beautiful cakes.

Thanks!
Marti
icon_smile.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:47pm
post #23 of 34

I know how hard it is not to take that 3 hours ride again, but it is not worth it.

She needs to get a life, the cake is georgous and it will drive her crazy because you have it on your website, good leave it.

I would watch if you have a guest book as to whether she leaves a nasty message on your site. She seems the type that would try something like that.

And I agree with whoever it was that said block her email address.

Keep your head up and thank goodness that it's over.

Bigger and better things await you.

cj

barbaranoel Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:02pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBornAgain

I would love to see a picture of this "falling cake", would you send me your website address? People don't understand the time and patience it takes to make one of these beautiful cakes.

Thanks!
Marti icon_smile.gif

Click on the button at the bottom of this message that says album and you'll be able to see all my pictures

texa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texa Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:03pm
post #25 of 34

Honestly, I think there's something else going on with that bride-from-Heck. What, exactly, does she want from you? Is she angry because she was embarrassed by the cake falling? Is she upset for some other reason? Did she get icing on her wedding dress? (Like she wasn't going to have to get it cleaned anyway...sheesh.) SOMEthing is eating at her, for her to be sniping at you months later.

I totally agree it is not your fault that the cake fell off-balance if she was cutting it while still on the columns. But what's her point of view? What does she want? Is she upset because the top tier crashed, and she doesn't have a cake to put in the freezer and turn into something akin to cardboard to eat on her first anniversary, assuming the marriage lasts that long? (And I am QUEEN of run-on sentences!) Did it careen off the pedestal and land on her head, dripping off her chin and onto the heaving bodice of her dress, thus robbing her groom of the opportunity to lovingly smash her in the face with a piece of cake? (We can only hope, eh? icon_evil.gif )

Of course, we must also consider the possibility that she's so nuts that squirrels lust after her. thumbs_up.gif

Old-person advice: If you can appease this woman-child for minimal trouble and/or cost, I recommend that you do so, simply to get rid of her. Remember, friends may come and friends may go, but enemies last forever. icon_razz.gif

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:15pm
post #26 of 34

Maybe you need to put the right way and wrong way to cut a cake on your web with a picture of the cake and what could go wrong. Then you would have a picture of the cake like she wanted.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:21pm
post #27 of 34

That would be a good idea to post on your site - copies of the wrong way to cut a cake with her cake picture posted. icon_lol.gif

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:28pm
post #28 of 34

I'd just leave it alone. Don't respond to the emails. Sounds like you've already tried to apologize and you said she basically got the cake at cost, so there's really nothing for you to feel bad about. She probably didn't know how to properly cut the cake and may not have any clue that cakes must be disassembeld before cutting. She may just be embarrased that the cake fell over and maybe people chuckled when that happened... don't know, but don't worry about it.

If she starts to harrass you then you may have a problem on your hands. Hopefully that won't happen.

What does your friend say? The friend that you have in common? Has she tried talking some sense into this bride or at least asked her what she expects from you? Just curious.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:31pm
post #29 of 34

did someone have a picture of the cake after she butchered it? that would be something interesting to see...... icon_twisted.gif

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:48pm
post #30 of 34

PUH-LEASE!

That was some incredible work. I'm thinking with the building, baking, planning, cleaning, bending, packing, driving, unloading, loading, stressing, shopping---well, you get the idea!

That's a $1000 cake around here, honey!

She's probably ticked because her marriage is crumbling like the cake did when she "couldn't cut it."

Wonder what Earlene woulda charged...

--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%