Black Fondant

Decorating By alliebear Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 8:27pm by DianeLM

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 10

any sugestions on how to colour fondant black?? everytime i seem to try it dries out and goes crumbly.. thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 10

Start with chocolate fondant. I've never had that happen. icon_smile.gif

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 10

Allie have you tried the recipe from this forum yet? wonderful tasting recipe. I made black fondant for the first time a few weeks ago and I really liked it. It seemed to dry out a little quicker then the MMF (Marshmallow Fondant) so I worked in a little more crisco when I kneeded it and/or added water to it, warmed it up in the microwave just a little. I was very happy with it. As for getting the black I had a CC member tell me you'll have to add a LOT of black food coloring to the mix. She wasn't kidding I had to add a LOT of black. Americolor is awesome.

Hope it helps

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 10

I found that its much easier to buy black fondant. Its nice dark ...for as little black I use I buy it.

Mine comes out usually a dark purple gray. I use americolor too.

Vreeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vreeke Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 10

I wouldn't recommend coloring fondant black or any dark color. When you eat it, it will turn your mouth that color. I always airbrush my dark cakes and that way no one's mouth is black.
Lori V.
Pastries By Vreeke

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 10

Allie I know your question was about coloring fondant black, but, have you ever tried Satin Ice fondant? They make a black that is really delicious smelling and tasting and it rolls out and goes on the cake beautifully.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 10

Sometimes when I start with chocolate fondant and add black, it turns a weird cigar green color. Now, I use Satin Ice pre-colored black, exclusively. Love it!

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 10

i am from Canada where would i find satin ice there are not alot of cake decorating specialty stores can i order from the internet? i would like to try it

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 10

For those of you who purchase the Satin Ice Pre colored Black Fondant - does it turn your mouth black when you eat it? I have a couple interested in red and black but are a bit cautious right now because of turning their guest mouth's black.

We discussed airbrushing but wondered about this being an option to present to them.

Thanks,
Alicia

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 10

We conducted an experiment where we all ate a blob of black fondant, then checked our mouths. Immediately after, tongue and teeth were discolored. After a few minutes and a few sips of water, only our tongues were slightly discolored.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%