anan Posted 9 May 2005 , 3:37pm
post #1 of

Anyone else had a problem with Nestle Morsels? I melted them down, poured them into molds, came out beautiful, placed them on a plate and they started to melt.

any tips on how to keep that from happening? should i have added somethig to the chocolate??

9 replies
Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 3:43pm
post #2 of

I haven't had a lot of luck using chocolate chips for molding either. You might try using coating chocolate/candy melts.

m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 3:56pm
post #3 of

Try adding a small amount of vegetable oil or melted crisco and see what happens.

anan Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:04pm
post #4 of

I will try to add veg oil .. just a spoon or two??

m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:23pm
post #5 of

I think it was a 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp for every 6 oz.

Chrystal Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:27pm
post #6 of

whenever we made chocolate molds at school.. (sorry referring to school again) we tempered the chocolate first.... if you need directions let me know icon_smile.gif

luceymoose Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:39pm
post #7 of

A little parrafin wax helps too. I use parrafin whenever I dip strawberries or other fruit. Hope this helps!! icon_biggrin.gif

2cakes Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:49am
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by anan

Anyone else had a problem with Nestle Morsels? I melted them down, poured them into molds, came out beautiful, placed them on a plate and they started to melt.

any tips on how to keep that from happening? should i have added somethig to the chocolate??




I have always use chocolate melts and never had a problem, but of cause I buy mine from a reputable cake decorating supplies store, usually they sell the chocolates by the pound. This Easter, I bought 5 lbs. white chocolate and 5 lbs. mild chocolate, and 5 lbs. dark chocolate and I used plastic molds to make Easter candies and they all turned out great. I put them in small plastic bags and gave them out and got very good reviews from customers. Hope this is helpful.

gateaux_beau Posted 11 May 2005 , 9:45pm
post #9 of

Nestle chocolate chips are real chocolate, this means they must be tempered to maintain their shape. To do so, you must keep the chocolate's temperature below 90 degrees. If you go over 90 it'll be icky white and will melt in your hand. Melt over a bowl of hot tap water (takes longer) instead of your stove (don't forget the thermometer) and you should be alright. Because tempering is a bit more labor intensive many people use coating wafers, which are made specifically for candy making. A good supplier for the melting wafers is www.cincicakeandcandy.com, plus they have more molds than anywhere else that I've seen.

montanakate Posted 11 May 2005 , 9:51pm

gateaux,
thanks for the great tips and website information. icon_smile.gif
kate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%