To Eat The Fondant Or Not To Eat The Fondant

Decorating By Gretta Updated 23 May 2006 , 2:27am by patton78

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 22 May 2006 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 15

Been lurking for awhile.... now I have a question. How many of you dismantle your cakes decorated with fondant before you serve them, or advise your clients to do so? I was watching "Unwrapped" this weekend w/dd and they were doing weddings at Disney World. The cakes, needless to say, were beautiful but once the official cut was made by the bride and groom, the cakes were wisked away, fondant rolled off, then they were cut and served. As a cater, I always took the cake to the kitchen to cut then serve, but never having dealt with fondant, I didn't know this was done?!? There is obviously a sufficient layer of BC under the fondant (which I didn't know either) but I was wondering what you all do? And what about MMF? Is there also a thick layer of BC under it? Wanting to try this method but am still gathering info. and nerve. Thanks.

14 replies
patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 22 May 2006 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 15

I tell anyone whose cake has fondant on it not to eat it! I always put a thick layer of BC under it so they can still enjoy the cake with frosting. MMF is yummy, I just put a thin layer of BC under it and serve the MMF on the cake.

dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 22 May 2006 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 15

It is so sad all that disney magic cant be ate! - but it really is up to the person if they like fondant or not or what the bride wants. As for the MMF, yes there is a thik layer of butter cream underneath just like"normal" fondant, I personally love the MMF and think that you can leave it on when you serve it, I do. It is very easy to make and work with, follow all the pointers on here and you will do great
Goodluck
Diana

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 22 May 2006 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 15

I saw this show too and thought it was interesting that a place that prides itself on gourmet cakes would remove the fondant. They did say that some of thier fondant covered cakes were decorated with real gold (dust), so that might explain some of it, but I think the cake they showed being dismanteled would have all been edible.

I always assumed that only people using the cheaper fondant would remove first and thought a place that was charging premium prices would have a premium product suitable to consume. So, I'm very curious about this too. If it's always removed, then why pay for the premium quality fondant?

barbspies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbspies Posted 22 May 2006 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 15

I make my own fondant with the intention that it should be eaten. It's yummy. After the fondant covers the BC.it begins to melt and isn't so stiff. I have the brides taste scratch fondant because it taste so much better.

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 23 May 2006 , 12:00am
post #6 of 15

Only slightly off the subject, do any of you add flavoring to your mmf? And do you have any ideas on coloring the mmf and when? I've made only one batch and coloring was a pain. But I loved working with it!
Thanks
D

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 23 May 2006 , 12:00am
post #7 of 15

Barbspies, which recipe do you use for fondant?

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 23 May 2006 , 12:04am
post #8 of 15

I make my own fondant as well and unless it has on lustre powders that aren't edible then I don't see a need to peel it off. In any case I wouldn't advise anyone to peel it off. Just cut and serve and let them taste it for themselves. They'll decide quickly enough if they want to eat it or not.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 23 May 2006 , 12:08am
post #9 of 15

i only use MMF to cover my cakes and will use Wilton for added pieces or figures.. i like the taste of my MMF.. i add vanilla AND a bit of butter flavoring so it tastes just like the BC underneath.. maybe a little bit sweeter... i do not remove the fondant when cutting but suggest cutting it in another room as it tends to get messy, my cakes are pretty moist.. i have noticed on plates that some people will eat most of the fonant and some will eat the inside part only.. what a waste of money and time just to pull it off and serve it... its my understanding that this is typical in europe as they've used fondant for a very long time.. but not sure if it was MMF.

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 23 May 2006 , 12:16am
post #10 of 15

I always serve with the fondant making sure people know some people like it and some don't. try it and if you don't like it feel free to peel it off. that way the guests don't need to feel bad by doing so.
Jackie

twoprincesses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twoprincesses Posted 23 May 2006 , 1:32am
post #11 of 15

I always put a regular layer of bc and a thin layer of mmf it works great everytime....its a great balance because the mmf can be rather sweet for some palates(not mine icon_biggrin.gif ) but I never use anything but mmf fondant now on my cake at least until I find one that works or taste even better ...which I think will be hard to find ....LOooovvVE MMF icon_biggrin.gif !!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 23 May 2006 , 1:49am
post #12 of 15

The couple times I have send a cake covered in MMF to work with my husband some of the guys have eaten it and some peal it off. I always leave it on and tell people that they are free not to eat it. I don't care for it but my youngest does.

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 23 May 2006 , 1:57am
post #13 of 15

Thanks for the responses. I am concluding that fondant is not much different than other frostings in the sense everyone has varing tastes. I guess I am going to have to dive in and give it a try... my problem is Atkins doesn't allow for tasting my own recipes icon_smile.gif I'll have to rely on dd whose pallate is similar to mine. Dh tries new recipes as well but his taste is less descriminating. Almost everything tastes good to him. This brings up another question... what for another post. Thanks again.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 May 2006 , 2:01am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifani

Only slightly off the subject, do any of you add flavoring to your mmf? And do you have any ideas on coloring the mmf and when? I've made only one batch and coloring was a pain. But I loved working with it!
Thanks
D

I add the coloring to the melted marshmallows. It is much easier to get the desired color and not so hard on the hands. Search the forums with my name and "small batch" and should find a few post that i have added a smaller batch of MMF if you don't have a lot that you need colored.

HTH

Leily

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 23 May 2006 , 2:27am
post #15 of 15

karen4mycru: So, I take it you have never tasted the Wilton Fondant? All I can say is that I do not know ANYONE who likes the taste of the stuff, it is truly disgusting! Just take a small piece and put it in your mouth to taste it, you don't even have to actually "eat" it to get the taste. MMF is sooo much better, it is actually edible and good on cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%