My Brother's Wedding Cake Was Sabotaged (Sp?)!! Long!

Decorating By Somethin-Sweet Updated 14 Aug 2006 , 2:16am by mkolmar

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 22 May 2006 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 50

OK- so I offer to make my brother's wedding cakes for free- as my gift to them........they were too excited about that!

I get to the reception hall to set the cakes up, and my future sister in law's aunt and cousin were there to do the decorations.......I start doing my thing ya know, and the aunt tells me- she used to decorate cakes and this and that...and all. She was really getting on my nerves.....anyway, I am almost done with the bride's cake (Four tier stacked square and round with handmade pearls that I worked on for a week to make- and 3 dozen fondant/chocolate roses)........and they decide they have to leave to get more supplies.......so I say OK- when I'm really thinking Thank GOD! I finish up and get changed because I was also in the wedding party and had to be at the rehearsal, so I turn down the A/C, lock up, and leave. I get done at rehearsal, go back to the reception hall to finish decorating and setting up the groom's cake- the aunt meets me at the door! She tells me the cake FELL! I'm like WHAT!???? There is NO WAY THAT CAKE FELL! It was very well doweled on each tier with a center dowel in the center! So, I go in and it's like 100 degrees in the hall! I'm was so upset! The entire bottom layer was gone and so was middle and the top! I asked them why it was so HOT in there, and they tell me they got COLD! I'm like DUH! There's a cake in here- ! I said no, the cake did not FALL- IT MELTED!!!!! I can't understand it, because they were working with fresh flowers- so doesn't it have to be cold to keep the looking pretty?

It took me all night, but I finally fixed it to at least be presentable. For the groom's cake, I had intended to make a replica of my brohter's drum set, but only got to make one drum and had to use the other cakes to fix the bride's cake. I totally feel like I was sabotaged! I really think they did it on purpose because they were jealous! It was so pretty- and I did not even get a picture before it melted! I will post a picture of the salvaged one when I get it, but it was not the same.........at least the bride to be got to see it before it fell or rather Melted.....she just so happened to stop by on the way to rehearsal and was so proud of all of my hard work.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I knew you guys would understand!

49 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 May 2006 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 50

Definately sounds like a case of the green-eyed goddesses to me - what b*tches! My heart really goes out to you, I'm glad you were able to salvage it somewhat and that the bride got to see how beautiful it was. I'm so sorry for you icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 22 May 2006 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 50

Oh. My. Gobs!

You poor thing. Well, like so many other "soldiers" on here today, you held up under the WORST circumstances.

Now I know why they put those plastic "cages" around air conditioning controls...

Best of luck,
--Knox--

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 22 May 2006 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 50

I am SO sorry!!!! That is horrible - If she use to decorate cakes then she knows that it has to stay cool!!!! I don't know why people are so mean!! icon_cry.gif Here's a <<hug>> for you.

Tammy

cakegirlnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirlnc Posted 22 May 2006 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 50

OMG!!! I would be p-----! icon_mad.gif How petty of them, and on your brother's wedding day. If they were that "cold" they should of stepped out of the room or put on a sweater. I'm sorry but I think I would have lost it and went off on someone. I'm so sorry you had this special day ruined and what they did is childish and unforgivable. Take care.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 22 May 2006 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 50

Oh, my goodness, I am sooo sorry!!!! Now, really, if this aunt "knew" about cake decorating, then she should've known that the temp in the room had to be kept at a decent temp or else the cake would get affected!!!

Shoot! I am sooooo sorry again! I know how hard it is when you put all that effort, time, and love into a cake and then something like this happens!

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 22 May 2006 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 50

Aww so sorry that happened. How on earth could they have gotten cold if they were moving around putting up decorations. You think they would have been hot. Some people are just ignorant. tapedshut.gif At least the bride got to see it before hand.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 22 May 2006 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 50

What a horror story! Every cake decorators nightmare. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 22 May 2006 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 50

What horrible people! I"m sure they told everyone that it was your fault, and what they would have done different. They probably were upset that you were picked to do the cake, and not them.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 22 May 2006 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 50

Cannot believe things like this could happen.Like subaru said :What a horror story!
So sorry this happened to you. We have to be watching out to avoid experiencing something like this.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 22 May 2006 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 50

Big hugs. That was ROTTEN!

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 22 May 2006 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 50

I agree with daradon - they were also probablly thinking your cake would get more attention then their flowers. It sounds like you rose above it though - good for you! I am glad the bride saw it, that is who really counts.

Somethin-Sweet Posted 22 May 2006 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 50

You guys are the best! I feel so much better....... icon_smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing about the flowers though. Because they were not pretty at all! LOL! OK- now I'm just being mean!

Yes, I did tell everyone that it was NOT my fualt- I just wish I had gotten a picture of the Before- Oh, well.........the end result was the same! Everyone thought the cake tasted great- - - -and not a word was said about the decorations or the flowers! I believe in Kharma......LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 22 May 2006 , 4:29pm
post #14 of 50

Sorry to hear that you have the in-laws from HELL!!! I know the feeling.

Their day will come, be patient.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 22 May 2006 , 4:31pm
post #15 of 50

It is so true about Karma, in the end everyone ends up with exactly what they deserve!

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 22 May 2006 , 4:43pm
post #16 of 50

OMG I'm so sorry - I would have been so p*ssed b/c it does sound like jealousy to me! I'm really glad the bride got to see it before hand.
YOu handled it so wel I would have been bawling my eyes out. Good for you for rising above!

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 22 May 2006 , 8:28pm
post #17 of 50

If I am good enough and my brother ever gets married I will put an armed guard on my cake icon_twisted.gif

Really, that is mean. Even if they were cold and the mother in law was just clueless and trying to show off by talking about her cake decorating skills. The fact that she didn't even think about your cake or notice that it was in bad shape earlier is just bad. I am clueless sometimes but that is way too much to be true.

If it was sabotage than that is even worse since that day is for the happy couple. You get more comments about the brides dress than anything at a wedding, so are they going to go rip it up so it does not stand up there flowers? To take out your issues with the cake decorator on the bride and grooms cakes is just so self-centered and just plain wrong that they deserve a life of bad luck for the act (nothing serious but may ever cake they make collapse on them icon_razz.gif).

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 22 May 2006 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 50

I am soooo sorry that happened to you! But thanks for sharing with us. You have to be on your toes these days. Hard to believe how mean some people can be.

Cubsfan85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cubsfan85 Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:22am
post #19 of 50

Oh gosh I'm so sorry for you! I know how you feel. At my best friend's wedding her BIL took the memory card out of my Digital Rebel which my mom was using to take pics of the ceremony. ( I was the maid of honor) He had the same camera and he wasn't happy that we were moving in on his "photographer" duties. My friend couldn't afford a real photographer and he decided to ruin such a big part of HER day b/c he wanted to get back at us. Some people...

The worst part is, like in your situation, even though its practically a certainty that they sabotaged you there is no solid proof. icon_mad.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:50am
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmomof3

I finish up and get changed because I was also in the wedding party and had to be at the rehearsal, so I turn down the A/C, lock up, and leave. I get done at rehearsal, go back to the reception hall to finish decorating and setting up the groom's cake- the aunt meets me at the door! She tells me the cake FELL! I'm like WHAT!???? There is NO WAY THAT CAKE FELL! It was very well doweled on each tier with a center dowel in the center! So, I go in and it's like 100 degrees in the hall! I'm was so upset! The entire bottom layer was gone and so was middle and the top! I asked them why it was so HOT in there, and they tell me they got COLD! I'm like DUH! There's a cake in here- ! I said no, the cake did not FALL- IT MELTED!!!!!

Forgive my confusion here but am I to believe that you are blaming someone else for the cake "meltdown" when you stated that you turned down the A/C?

Did they shut the A/C off completely leading to further destabilization of the cake?

Cubsfan85 Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:58am
post #21 of 50

I think she meant she turned it down as in she turned the temp down which would make the A/C kick on and make the room cooler.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:00am
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan85

I think she meant she turned it down as in she turned the temp down which would make the A/C kick on and make the room cooler.

which would explain their "they were cold" excuse.

CakesWithAttitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesWithAttitude Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:08am
post #23 of 50

yeah but it sounds like they don't like the bride!! Who would do that to the BRIDE. Not even considering you; who would do that knowing that the bride wouldn't have a cake???!!! icon_mad.gificon_twisted.gif

Cubsfan85 Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:25am
post #24 of 50

Selfish people who are only thinking of themselves and not the couple getting married. icon_sad.gif

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:04am
post #25 of 50

Some people can be so unbelievably childish sometimes. Grown adults being so petty. Kudos to you for handling it so well and rising above this.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:32am
post #26 of 50

That's soooooooooo mean of theirs.... I'm with everyone on that if she knew about cake decorating she knew she couldn't do that, so it was done totally on purpose!!! and that's mean!!!! and only babies act like this. I know jealousy. I was kicked out of College because of a jealous teacher, I was studying in the sam ething she studied, and was afraid I would steal her job. In a way I'm glad I didn't finished my College because I wouldn't have met my husband and I wouldn't be a cake decorator! I would've been an art teacher! But anyways it's a really selfish thing to do, especially on the bride's and groom's day!! She never thought about their feelings either!!!

sending hugs and smiles!!!

Lorris

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:39am
post #27 of 50

I am sooo sorry this happened to you. I don't even know how I would've handled it!

Somethin-Sweet Posted 23 May 2006 , 1:16pm
post #28 of 50

Cake_Princess, when you turn a Central A/C down, it makes the thermostat go down, and it gets colder- turning it up makes it warmer.......I turned it down to keep it cool- they cut it Off because they were cold.......sorry for the confusion! Maybe my brain is fried after the weekend I had! LOL!

Thanks for making me feel better- honestly when everyone found out what happened, that made the ones who did it look that much dumber- especially b/c she should have known, being a cake decorator and all! Maybe that's why they asked Me to make the cakes, huh? LOL! Thanks you guys, you are great! icon_lol.gif

DRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DRose Posted 24 May 2006 , 8:23pm
post #29 of 50

I'm sorry that happened to you. That was horrible, not only for you, but the bride & groom too! I'm glad you were able to save this cake.
I believe "what goes around, comes around"

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:31pm
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmomof3

Cake_Princess, when you turn a Central A/C down, it makes the thermostat go down, and it gets colder- turning it up makes it warmer.......I turned it down to keep it cool- they cut it Off because they were cold.......sorry for the confusion! Maybe my brain is fried after the weekend I had! LOL!

LOL, ok I think that's my cue not to try reading these post @ 1 AM ESPECIALLY when I am tired. I obviously forget to bring my brain with me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%