Need Silver Icing

Decorating By jlmaison Updated 5 May 2007 , 1:56pm by Wendoger

jlmaison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlmaison Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 10

Hello I am doing a buttercream cake and it is a book. For the bookmark down the middle of the cake I would like to make it silver. How do i colour buttercream icing sliver? can i mix lusterdust into it. Or can i paint it on the buttercream......and will it dissolve into the icing if I put it in the fridge? Thanks Jen

9 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure about coloring it, but there is a silver spray (kind of like Wilton's sprays) that you can buy from Artistic Precision Enterprises. I don't know how to put links in - but the website that has their info on it is http://sdbytracy.com/sprays.htm

I just ordered some today and the owner is sooo nice! She even told me how she came up with the idea for the sprays - way before Wilton did!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 10

I think I would make the bookmark out of fondant or gumpaste. If you don't want to use them, maybe you could use fruit roll up cut into the shape of the bookmark and then paint it with the silver lusterdust and liquor of your choice.

jlmaison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlmaison Posted 2 May 2007 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks....still not sure what yo do! Don't have time to order as the cake is due Saturday!

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:11am
post #5 of 10

From recent experience I know you can paint the buttercream icing without much issue. Mix the luster dust with lemon extract to painting consistency. Make you bookmark with the buttercream and then refrigerate the cake. This way your icing will harden and you won't push right into it with the brush. Gently paint the bookmark and you're all set. Use a medium sized brush to get the job done quicker. Hope this helps.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:27am
post #6 of 10

Mixing luster dust with the bc doesn't work...I tried it. Dusting it on dry works thoughicon_wink.gif

CoolCakeChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoolCakeChick Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:32am
post #7 of 10

Hi...I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in too. I paint with luster and shimmer dust all the time. I put a tiny pile of the dust in a small condiment-sized cup, and then I add vodka --a couple of drops at a time, until the consistency is right. The vodka evaporates, and you're left with a perfect shimmery color. If you mix it too thin, and it paints on a little too transparent, just add more shimmer dust and paint over it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 May 2007 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCakeChick

Hi...I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in too. I paint with luster and all the time. I put a tiny pile of the dust in a small condiment-sized cup, and then I add vodka --a couple of drops at a time, until the consistency is right. The vodka evaporates, and you're left with a perfect shimmery color. If you mix it too thin, and it paints on a little too transparent, just add more and paint over it.

How are you painting with Shimmer dust? The stuff i picked up is wilton and it is too course to mix with vodka and disolve. I have only had luck with Luster, Pearl, and petal dust being mixed and painted. But maybe i'm missing something.

Thanks!

CoolCakeChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoolCakeChick Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:42am
post #9 of 10

Hi...Well, maybe I miscommunicated something. I paint with luster, pearl, and petal dusts too. I realize I said shimmer dust, but I was referring to the luster and pearl dusts that have a shimmery appearance. The shimmer dust you are talking about is the larger flaked stuff that you sprinkle over the whole cake as a finishing touch or decoration, right? Sorry about the confusion.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 10

...I knew what ya meant thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%