Metal Tasting Bear!

Decorating By Sahmlock Updated 12 May 2005 , 3:37pm by awela

Sahmlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sahmlock Posted 9 May 2005 , 2:31am
post #1 of 8

Ok, I salvaged the bear and it survived rather well; HOWEVER it tasted like METAL? STrange wierd taste to it, my mother and son agreed! I used the durable 3D cake recipe with duncan hines mix...and the wilton cake release.
Has anyone else experienced this? I had extra batter and made a small round cake...I sampled some of the top last night (while cooling...) and I thought it was fine.
sahm

7 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 3:43am
post #2 of 8

Hmmm...that's weird. How's the pan look? Had you ever used the pan before? Any odors in the oven while it was baking?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 May 2005 , 3:49am
post #3 of 8

..that IS weird! Did the recipe have cornstarch or baking powder..just curious?!

Sahmlock Posted 9 May 2005 , 11:46am
post #4 of 8

the pan was brand new! I washed it thoroughly and coated it with the wilton cake release.
there was no cornstarch or anything like that extra in the recipe..i got the recipe off of this site...i do have one more cake that I cooked in a round....i didnt frost yet...i have to frost and try that!

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 8

So was this bear frosted? Because if your small round tasted fine, maybe it's the frosting that you used on your bear?

Sahmlock Posted 10 May 2005 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 8

the round has a funky taste too....after it cooled and I sampled the top again...it was not very appetizing.
what a disappointment!
think I will look for a different recipe.
i dont think i will bother to frost the round.
probably toss it!

SadEyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SadEyes Posted 10 May 2005 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 8

before using any tin you should spray it with PAM (or any oil spray like that) and bake the empty tin (I think it's called proofing) at about 250 for 20 minutes at least. You would be surprised to see what comes away from the tin. Wipe/wash and then use normally

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 8

If the other cake also had a funny taste, I would think it has to do with the icing. Sometimes too much almond extract gives the cakes a different taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%