1St Wedding Questions

Decorating By mcshay Updated 3 May 2007 , 12:04am by KoryAK

mcshay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcshay Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 10

A co-worker was going to have her aunt make her cake for her, but the aunt backed out because she said it was too much for her to handle. So she asked me if I could do it. The cake is relatively simple but I've never pillared a cake before and this is where I am running into problems. She want to either wrap the cake cake in fondant or buttercream (she is being flexible about this.) She wants a white ribbon around the cake and between the layers she wants to put gerber daisies.

Here is a link to a similar design of what she wants: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=258813

My questions are:

1. Do I use seperator plates for this?

2. What kinda of pillar set up do I need to use?

3. How tall would the pillars need to be?

4. She is feeding 100 people, but is wanting it to be 3 tiers. What should the pan sizes be? (She will be keeping the top tier and not serving it.)

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

9 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 10

Hello,
It looks like a hidden pillar system or clear push in style pillars to me.
You would need plates under each of the cakes to hold them up.
Well they would have to be long enough to push through the cake and then about an extra 1.5 to 2" so if your layers are 4" deep you would need about a 6" pillar set.
According to Earlenes chart you could go with
Rounds - 14", 12" and 8" not serving the top (8")
Square - 12", 10" and 8" not serving the top (8")

These would be wedding sized servings and not party sized.

I hope that helps you!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 10

You do need separator plates. You'll need hidden pillars, they should be the right size space you need between each tier. As for the pan sizes, I would use a 14", 10" and 6". These should give you the right amount of servings. I hope this helps.

mcshay Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the advice so far. Just thought of a bunch of questions. Would I use the square scalloped plates for round smooth plates?

I'm have real mental issues with using scalloped plates because I don't want anyone to see the seperator plates underneath the cakes. If I cover in fondant and do a ribbon around it, I worry that you can see the plate. Will that happen?

I've also thought about telling her we were going to do 4-tiers instead of 3 so the proportions of the cake would look right. Then I would do a 6, 8, 10, and 12. It would give her more cake than she needs, but she is also not sure about her guest numbers yet either.

What does everyone else think? 3 or 4 tiers?

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 10

I would go with the 8-10-12 because this cake style needs less size difference to get the tower look.

ddbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddbakery Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 10

you could always do a fake cake for one of the layers. Most of my wedding cakes are fake. And if it is a real cake, and the bride wants a large cake for not so many people, I will make a part real, part fake cake.

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 10

I use the stress free support rings and just put the cake on foam board bases. You can use the smaller size round ring and it doesn't show up on these cakes. I would really recommend the stress free supports if you plan on making a lot of wedding cakes.

mcshay Posted 2 May 2007 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 10

I looked into the stress free supports, but wasn't sure if I wanted to invest in that when this might be my first and last wedding cake. If I keep this up, I will certainly put money out for those.

The bride is leaving up the number of tiers up to me. She told me three, but she was fine if I wanted to do four.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:03am
post #9 of 10

You can use whatever plates you like, and can use a slightly smaller size than the cake so that the edges don't show.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:04am
post #10 of 10

You can use whatever plates you like, and can use a slightly smaller size than the cake so that the edges don't show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%