Fondent

Decorating By asianmango1976 Updated 13 May 2005 , 8:02am by lastingmoments

asianmango1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asianmango1976 Posted 8 May 2005 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 27

Where do you buy your fondents? Seems like alot ppl do not like wilton ones???

Thanks
brendab

26 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 May 2005 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 27

You can order online from sugarcraft.om, for example or if you have a cake supply store locally, you can sometimes get brands other than Wilton. Two good ones are Pettinice or my favorite Satin Ice!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 May 2005 , 2:19am
post #3 of 27

MrsMissey~ Those fondants you mentioned.. are they ready to use? I haven't seen them at my cake supply store. I'll ask about them tomorrow when I stop by. I want to make MMF but I never seem to have time~

MrsMissey Posted 9 May 2005 , 2:56am
post #4 of 27

Yeppers, they are ready to use. All you do is knead them for a couple of minutes to warm/soften and then starting using!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:36am
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

MrsMissey~ Those fondants you mentioned.. are they ready to use? I haven't seen them at my cake supply store. I'll ask about them tomorrow when I stop by. I want to make MMF but I never seem to have time~

Hey tina! i actually tried MMF on my mother in laws cake.. the disaster one.. lol. it worked out pretty good, I only made 1/2 of the ingrediants and it made quite a bit...
i put it on the cake decorated it and i kept mine in the fridge and it still tasted great when we ate it!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 9 May 2005 , 6:50am
post #6 of 27

Hi
i just tried to make marshmellow fondant for the 1st time the other day and found it only took like 3-4 minutes and was very easy......
you would be suprised how little efort it takes...

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingmoments

Hi
i just tried to make marshmellow fondant for the 1st time the other day and found it only took like 3-4 minutes and was very easy......
you would be suprised how little efort it takes...

wow lasting! 3-4 min! Wasnt it extrememly sticky at the beginning? That is great! LOL!!! whats your secret?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 May 2005 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 27

yup, mmf is the way to go. it is sooo much more tasty and inexpensive to make. if you keep your hands and work area covered with powdered sugar, you won't have a problem with sticking. icon_lol.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 27

MrsMissey

How does the satin ice fondant taste? Is it much better than Wilton's brand?

MrsMissey Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 27

Ohh..there is absolutely no comparison! It is absolutely delicious all by itself!!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:57pm
post #11 of 27

Thanks! Now I have to make another list of items to purchase from sugarcraft.com along with the satin ice fondant.

Thanks again!

MrsMissey Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 27

The list just keeps gettig longer, doesn't it?!! icon_biggrin.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 27

Yes it does. I just ordered some items last week. I love that online store and don't think I'll ever get enough of it.

lastingmoments Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:24am
post #14 of 27

momof3- it was easy I just melted my marshmellows in the microwave like directions stated. And while that was melting i dumped my cup of 10x in a bowl ...I made a well in the middle of the suger dumped the marshmellow and rolled it around the bowl till all the suger was absorbed.(kinda like making biscuts.)since the suger is what sticks to the outside of the ball ist not that sticky....and it working it self in....I just rolled it in the suger until it was just right...but with this method not that long...

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 May 2005 , 5:03am
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

Yes it does. I just ordered some items last week. I love that online store and don't think I'll ever get enough of it.

I just wanted to say MeToo! By the time I get one order in, I've already made a list for my next order. I know some have been put off by the shipping but the estimated shipping is almost always higher than the actual shipping (this is what your charged). The estimated shipping to me is sometimes as much as $5-7 more than what I end up being charged. I get my stuff fast too...usually in 3 days and that's standard shipping. Great when you need something fast.

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 10 May 2005 , 11:23am
post #16 of 27

I'm shocked someone got MMF together in a few minutes. It literally took me about an hour to mix up one batch of it and I had to keep microwaving it over and over to get it soft enough to knead any more sugar into. I had about 1/4 of the bag of sugar left over, too. It was the most frustrating thing!! I would not be doing it again if I didn't have to make it for my wedding cake - for an outside beach wedding reception. icon_smile.gif I am hoping that the fondant will help protect the cake from the sand and wind..

~Angel

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 May 2005 , 12:31pm
post #17 of 27

I just made my first batch of MMF last night - took about 5 - 10 minutes from start to finish. I greased both the bowl that I microwaved the marshmellows in and the bowl (big tupperware one) that I used to "knead" it in. Worked like a charm! It sure is a bright white - and tastes yummy. My daughter has already colored some of it and made "beads" to make a candy necklace with. icon_biggrin.gif

Now I just need to find a cake that I want to make to use it on! (won't be hard to do since I got new books for Mothers Day.!1)

AngelWendy Posted 10 May 2005 , 12:36pm
post #18 of 27

I wonder if I didn't melt the marshmallows long enough. How long did you melt them in the microwave? I used the double boiler and THAT took about half an hour alone..

Loucinda Posted 10 May 2005 , 12:43pm
post #19 of 27

I'd bet that is what your trouble was - I didn't really keep track of how long - I just put themarshmellows and the water in and set it for a minute, checked them, and set it for another minute. When I could "stir" it - I knew they were all melted! I think it just took 2 or 3 minutes. Make sure you use a deep enough bowl for melting in the microwave - they expand quite a bit!

momof3jotynjake Posted 10 May 2005 , 1:13pm
post #20 of 27

ya, i melted mine in the microwave also.... took only a min, then i added it into my bowl of Pow.sugar...

But... when i started to mix.. by hand,, i had my hands nice a greased.. it was sticking to alll of my fingers! LOL... my 9 year old, he had a fun ol time greasing up with me to try and get it all off and back into the bowl!!

how did you guys get past that?

I only made 1/2 the batch.. and that made plenty!

Loucinda Posted 10 May 2005 , 1:17pm
post #21 of 27

I just used crisco on my hands like hand lotion - didn't have any trouble with it sticking. I did finish kneading it on the table and not the bowl though - seemed to work better for me! (keep plenty of powdered sugar on the work area of the table though!)

AngelWendy Posted 11 May 2005 , 12:07pm
post #22 of 27

After making four double batches of marshmallow fondant this morning, I think I finally have the hang of it! The first time my marshmallow boiled over in the microwave. Then I had all the sugar in the bowl to start with and couldn't get it all mixed in. The second time I forgot to add water and I also had all the sugar in the bowl to start with and couldn't get it all to mix in. When I added water, I added too much and that made it very sticky and hard to handle. Finally got it together. I also had to microwave the marshmallows in two batches so it wouldn't spill over again. The last two batches were better. The third one I only started with half the sugar and it kept taking more and more and more sugar. The last one came out fairly easily as I had a pretty good idea how much sugar to add at what points. So I guess I can tell you that practice will improve your technique on making this.. and since it lasts forever practically, you might as well make several batches one after the other and save it.

I colored the last batch light purple/lavender, and am debating coloring all of it that shade for the wedding cake. I made four pink orchids, too. I think I'll make another 5 or so of those. I'll also be using white roses and chocolate shells. icon_wink.gif

~Angel

Loucinda Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:13pm
post #23 of 27

Yeah!!! I am glad you got it figured out. I should have said something about using 1/2 of the sugar in the bowl - I am sorry.....that is what I did too, didn't put all of the sugar in there. I also used a really deep bowl to microwave the marshmellows - they went clear to the top of it, but didn't overlfow thank goodness!!

Be careful with the lavendar colors - I read somewhere that they like to turn blue when exposed to the sunlight. You may want to test yours out and see what happens with it, since your wedding is outdoors. The white roses and chocolate shells sound wonderful - keep us posted on how you're doing with it (and make sure to take pics!!)

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:34pm
post #24 of 27

To keep the MMF from sticking to my hands, I put on a pair of disposable gloves (like the ones at the doctors office, but non-latex) and greased them with pam. That seemed to work the best.

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 11 May 2005 , 1:47pm
post #25 of 27

Can you store MMF? If so, how? I'd like to make some just to see the consistency, etc...but want to be able to use it later on too, if I can get it to work.

MrsMissey Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:14pm
post #26 of 27

I have stored in in the fridge about 2 weeks, although from what I've read, most people don't even put it in the fridge, but it works for me!

lastingmoments Posted 13 May 2005 , 8:02am
post #27 of 27

glad to see that worked angel wendy....I was starting to think it was a fluke.....so I made another batch tonight and was noting everything to let you know.....same time same results for me.

I microwaved on high for 30 secs. ...I do always use a large bowl so it doesnt bowl over. and the same for my suger. I dont add my suger to the marshmellow ....I add my marshmellow to my suger if that makes sense....I can work with it being not as sticky because the outside of my "ball" is always coated in 10X as im working it in does that make sense.
I was thinking about trying to make some with a double boiler but after reading that I think Ill stick to this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%