just_for_fun Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:09pm
post #1 of

How long can I keep MMF? How do I wrap it so it doesn't turn hard? I made some last week and wrapped it in parchment paper, then in a ziploc bag with all the air squeezed out. It is hard as a rock!! I tried microwaving it for a few seconds, but it become yucky....

14 replies
just_for_fun Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:28pm
post #2 of

Please, anyone???

Ali24 Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:38pm
post #3 of

I wrap mine in plastic wrap. Then I put it in a plastic bag and get all the air out. I put mine in the fridge, but I'm not sure if I should. It lasts me about 2 or 3 weeks. I would like to know how long it should last?

just_for_fun Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:39pm
post #4 of

Thanks alot, I'll try that thumbs_up.gif

Ali24 Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:39pm
post #5 of

What do you mean by yucky?

BlairsMom Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:45pm
post #6 of

I wrap my in saran wrap, then put in a ziploc, and then but in a rubbermaid container. I have had my last batch for 3-4 weeks and I just used it and it was great. I have to microwave it to soften and knead in a little crisco but it tasted great still. (not that I eat it or anything, lol) icon_lol.gif

justfrosting Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:50pm
post #7 of

It will turn a bit hard during storage no matter what you do. Pop it in the microwave briefy and it will soften up. Be careful of burns.

just_for_fun Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:08pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali24

What do you mean by yucky?




It became crumbly and hard to work with. I geuss by the other suggestions that I mw'ed it too long, or I should have kneaded in some Crisco.


Thanks all for your suggestions! I'll be making another batch soon; I hope it lasts, cause I need very little, and I'll need another little bit next week.

madmay Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:16am
post #9 of

I don't know if I am supposed to do this but I greased my  MMF as in the recipe, wrapped it twice in saran wrap then put it into a bag and used my food saver so all of the air was out. This is my first try with MMF and what I understand from the posts is to get all the air out. Was this o.k.?icon_redface.gif

darkchocolate Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 12:32pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmay 

I don't know if I am supposed to do this but I greased my  MMF as in the recipe, wrapped it twice in saran wrap then put it into a bag and used my food saver so all of the air was out. This is my first try with MMF and what I understand from the posts is to get all the air out. Was this o.k.?icon_redface.gif

That is what I do and mine has been fine.

darkchocolate Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 12:34pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun 




It became crumbly and hard to work with. I geuss by the other suggestions that I mw'ed it too long, or I should have kneaded in some Crisco.


Thanks all for your suggestions! I'll be making another batch soon; I hope it lasts, cause I need very little, and I'll need another little bit next week.

I have broken down my recipe into smaller batches.  Half recipe and a quarter of the recipe. I hate to waste all those ingredients for a full batch when I only need a small amount. I am a hobby baker/decorator, so I go for months without ever needing fondant.

soldiernurse Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:21pm

After I smooth it into a ball, I grease it moderately with Crisco and then wrap in plastic cling twice, put in plastic zip bag then store in 20 gal container with a tight lid. Keeps just like the store bought. I do not put it in fridge. No need unless I'm in a hurry and then it's for a few minutes I would think.

luci Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 1:47pm

I made mmf in August.  It's in a ziplock bag and a few Tupperware containers. It isn't hard, just the edges have some hardness.  Is it still good?

SweetandSwanky Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by luci 
 

I made mmf in August.  It's in a ziplock bag and a few Tupperware containers. It isn't hard, just the edges have some hardness.  Is it still good?

Hi! There is not really anything in MMF that can go bad, so as long as you can get a nice consistency to work with, it's good. I read somewhere it's good for six months. Also, I would be careful of microwave time and increase in increments. Definitely add a liberal coating of crisco before you put it in the microwave and continue to add it as needed, and knead until you have a lovely consistency again. I hope this helps :)

MBalaska Posted 6 Dec 2013 , 3:10am

There are expiration dates stamped on the marshmallow packages.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%