Us To European Weights/measures

Baking By Clipper Updated 3 May 2007 , 7:23am by Clipper

Clipper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clipper Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:50am
post #1 of 12

Hello, I'm an amateur cake decorator in Ireland, and I have to admit that American recipes confuse me no end.
Firstly, the whole 'cup' business - when using this as a measure of weight, (ie not liquid) how do I convert it to oz? Can I convert it to oz? If not, how big a cup? (I told you I was confused...)
Flours - when staying 'cake flour' or just 'flour' in a recipe, do you mean plain or self-raising?
Shortening - I am assuming thats butter/ margerine?
Any guidance gratefully recieved. I would love to try more of the recipes but they wreck my head a litte. icon_confused.gif

11 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:15am
post #2 of 12

Hi! I'm not American, but I use lots of American recipes. There is this great website that will convert measures into all kinds of equivalents:

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking

but I do find that with the US recipes, it's best to stick with how they are written for the best results! Do you have a large supermarket (Tesco, Asda, Morrisons etc), near you? If you have, go to the kitchenwares section (where you'll find the pyrex bowls, baking sheets, cake pans, jugs etc), and there you will find sets of measuring cups - a set of 4 held together by a key ring type ring - use those and you'll have no problems - promise!

Shortening is solid vegetable fat - White Flora or Trex would be your equivalents. My advice, don't make buttercream with it - it's the most vile thing that you could put in your mouth, stick to butter (or margarine for economy/practice), your liver and taste buds will thank you!

If a recipe says flour, use plain, if it says cake flour, use self-raising.

Hope that helps!

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:21am
post #3 of 12

A cup is 8 liquid ounces. If you don't have a cup measure, take a container and mark off where 8 oz would be. Then use that marked container to measure out your 1 C dry ingredients.

Cake flour is different than regular flour. Technically, the gluten level in cake flour is different from regular flour. Self-rising flour is different as well (as a rising agent mixed in already). In Europe, you should have all three types of flour -- cake, regular and self-rising. These types of flour aren't unique to the US.

Shortening is not butter/margarine. Shortening aka Crisco is vegetable shortening versus lard which is animal fat. I believe it's called something else in the Europe. Do a search in CC and you'll find the brand that they use in Ireland.

I'm sure others have more knowledge on this subject, but hope above helps you a little.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:27am
post #4 of 12

Hi Clipper

I google the conversions. But a cup is 8oz. I only use plain flour if the recipe is using baking powder or soda etc. in it. Shortening is generally margerine I think because they usually specify butter if they are using it in the recipe. I googled Crisco and it's vegetable marg. so like Stork. A stick of butter is 4oz.

I hope this helps you out a little bit. Oh and corn syrup we don't get it to the best of my knowledge and the more I research it the more I find there really is not a replacement available for this, some say honey or golden syrup but these have quiet distinct flavours and from what I can gather (correct me if I am wrong Please guys) Corn syrup is flavourless.

What part of Ireland are you from? Hope you learn lots here! Good Luck!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:27am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hktaitai

Cake flour is different than regular flour. Technically, the gluten level in cake flour is different from regular flour. Self-rising flour is different as well (as a rising agent mixed in already). In Europe, you should have all three types of flour -- cake, regular and self-rising. These types of flour aren't unique to the US.

That's true, but our cake flour (or flour for sponges - I believe McDougals makes one), also has raising agent in it already, so self-raising would be fine to interchange - cake flour is finer milled and gives a slightly different texture to the finished cake - cake flour is much more expensive though!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:31am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by banba

I hope this helps you out a little bit. Oh and corn syrup we don't get it to the best of my knowledge and the more I research it the more I find there really is not a replacement available for this, some say honey or golden syrup but these have quiet distinct flavours and from what I can gather (correct me if I am wrong Please guys) Corn syrup is flavourless.

Glucose syrup is the best equivalent to corn syrup for us Europeans, available from chemists (including Boots), and cake decorating stores.

Clipper Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 12

Thats superb - thanks guys. Its much clearer now!
(I'm in Cork, by the way Banba)

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 12

AH thanks bonjovibabe never thought of glucouse syrup. I have been searching for an alternative. Thanks a million!

Clipper I am in Kildare!

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 2 May 2007 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 12

Hi Clipper! I'm in Cork too! (Midleton - whereabouts are you?)

Welcome to CC, you'll love it!

Shortening is white vegetable fat, not yellow like margarine. I second what bonjovibabe said though, buttercream made with shortening is nasty - stick to good ol' butter!

Cake flour contains less protein (and so has less gluten) than regular (plain and self-raising) flour. If a recipe calls for cake flour, use 2tbsp less of your regular flour (some say to replace those 2tbsp with corn flour, others not!)

I've seen sets of measuring cups in Tesco, though I think the measurements are in ml (1 cup = 240mls, not sure if its the same as the american cups!)

HTH

Kelly

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 2 May 2007 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 12

Banba,

Not get off of this subject. But my husband and I were in Kildare last year and we loved every minute of our trip. I told my husband that I would move to Ireland any time he said so.

P.S. my last name is O'Brien.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clipper Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:23am
post #12 of 12

Wow. Cheers!
Kelly75 - I'm in Killeagh at the moment but moving to Glanworth at the end of the month - can't wait to get away from the N25!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%