My Poor Cake!

Decorating By SeattleCakes Updated 7 May 2007 , 6:15am by jules06

SeattleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeattleCakes Posted 2 May 2007 , 6:41am
post #1 of 28

So I really like to make purse cakes.... art major+ex fashionista= purse cake apparently. I never thought the realism was a problem until today! I made this Juicy Couture cake for a 12 year olds birthday, and had left it on the kitchen counter after I got done taking pictures. Well my parents were coming to pick me and my fiance up for dinner, and came in to see the house before we left (I recently finished tiling the kitchen floor). Well there is my cake that I had worked ALL day on the counter, and I hear my dad say, "this is a cute purse, where did you get it?" I turn around to tell him it is a cake, just in time to see him pick it up by the handles... and the cake go crashing down..... SPLAT! I started to cry! My dad felt so bad!!! He tried to pat it back into a cake shape on the floor thinking he could fix it... it was so cute I actually started laughing through my tears! he feels so bad! Trying to put on the brave face... so as not to make him feel worse... I told him it was ok and that I had plenty of time to redo it. All during dinner all I could think was thank god the lady isn't picking it up until tomorrow!! I think I can bang one out before ... thinking positively... at least the bow survived! My dad even offered to stay with me tonight and help... I of course told him thanks but no thanks (in the nicest way possible). I haven't pulled an all-nighter since college...but here goes.... maybe she'll be late tomorrow...
LL

27 replies
rockii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockii Posted 2 May 2007 , 6:49am
post #2 of 28

so sorry! but the one that you posted a pic of looks perfect. my goodness. make a big pot of coffee and hop to it.
heres to hoping that the customer is late

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 2 May 2007 , 6:50am
post #3 of 28

Sorry to hear that, I would be in tears...but it really does look real! Awesome job and good luck on the all nighter.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:29am
post #4 of 28

What a great story, thanks for sharing. icon_smile.gif

You achieved such realism your Dad was taken completely by surprise. thumbs_up.gif

Hope the all nighter doesn't really take all night!

This is a story you'll be able to share with the family for years. icon_lol.gif I can hear it now, "Remember when...."

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:00am
post #5 of 28

Wow what an amazing job on the purse...i seriously thought it was reall too! i think we all go through that experience at one point or another...good luck to you !

SeattleCakes Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 28

Thanks guys... i know it will be funny story to tell people ( and a way to extort money from my dad if I ever need it! he he he) Well I just finished... looks good enough to me..... and now I am going to bed! thank for the late night sympathy icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 28

I have to say if your dad had not picked up that purse, I would have been the one.

BTW, did you take pics of the cake on the floor? It would be fun to see. And don't forget to show us the new one, too.

p.s. Sleep tight!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #8 of 28

You did a great job - it does look like a real purse.

I feel so sorry for you, but I feel even sorrier for your dad. I just know he feels absolutely terrible.

I'm glad you were able to make another one on such short notice.

Amanda114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda114 Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:21am
post #9 of 28

Is that a real ribbon?? How did you make the grommets??

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:26am
post #10 of 28

I am new to the site, so let me know if this is an inapropriate question...

Can I ask how much you get for a cake like that?( that is the inapropriate one icon_smile.gif) And how long it takes to make? Is it all eatable cake inside? And what do you do to support it?

jakenheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakenheather Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:16am
post #11 of 28

WOWSERS girl! Now that is a cake!!! So realistic, no wonder he picked it up!! Looks like you too might have lost some sleep over a cake!! Can't wait to see the next one!

SeattleCakes Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:45am
post #12 of 28

Hey everyone~

to answer a few of the questions...

No, the ribbon is gum paste with orchid pink luster dust ( i used everclear to paint it on... it is the BEST).

For the grommets, I used a rx bottle cap for the impression on the chocolate fondant, cut the center out and used silver highlighter and the everclear (l2-3 coats).

It is all eatable cake (vanilla butter with the whimsical cookies and cream filling and butter cream benieth the fondant). It actually has no internal supports... the only support was for the handles which was 2 24gauge wires tacked in with fondant. And I tacked the foam core to the drum with royal icing.

The first time took about 6 hours from carving to done... the second time about 8 because the cake wasn't cooled the way I like it to be due to the time crunch.

I'm new to the forum, so I don't know if it is inappropriate to answer... but it was $106.00 with tax. icon_smile.gif

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 3 May 2007 , 9:56am
post #13 of 28

oh my gosh, it is the most amazing cake! I am so sorry for your disaster, but I can understand how he thought it was real! You poor thing, having to do it all over again!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:38pm
post #14 of 28

YEah, I probably would have picked it up too thinking it's real! Good job on the 1st one and the 2nd. (I'm sure it's just as beautiful)

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 28

Did you want to kill him or what!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry this happened your poor dad he will never forgive himself

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:10pm
post #16 of 28

What a great cake!! If it hadn't looked so real, he wouldn't have picked it up, so take that as a compliment for sure! Poor dad though, what a great guy for offering to stay and help reconstruct it. By the looks of your level of talent, you will have no probs cranking out a new one in time! I'm so sorry for your "accident" though. I had one 2 weeks ago, and I did cry! So you aren't alone on that one!!! My fiance went and bought me flowers cause he felt so bad!

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 4 May 2007 , 11:55pm
post #17 of 28

ok, this cake is gorgeous.. Im sorry that u had to make another but that was just so you could tell us how u did it icon_smile.gif

i know its carved, but what cakes (pans) did u actually bake in?

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 5 May 2007 , 12:02am
post #18 of 28

Sorry that happened! The cake is gorgeous! At first when I looked at it I didn't believe it was cake. I posted under your photo in the galleries!

Great Job! I love Juicy!!

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:08am
post #19 of 28

Well, I guess you can look on the bright side: your cake was so awesome that he thought it was real! icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:54am
post #20 of 28

The question of price for the cake IS NOT A PROBLEM! Feel free to exchange price information if you want to.
Many threads are about appropriate pricing for different cakes. Image

guerrosos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
guerrosos Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:51pm
post #21 of 28

I think that the fact that your dad picked it up because he thought it was a real purse is the best compliment you could ever get. Too bad the compiment resulted in disaster. Perhaps next time you should make a big warning sign: THIS IS A CAKE. PLEASE DON'T PICK UP. It is (was) a beautiful, perfect cake. Congrats and sorry!

smque2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smque2 Posted 6 May 2007 , 8:06pm
post #22 of 28

Your cake is wonderful, I am not surprised that your Dad thought it was a real one.

Poor man, I know it will be some time before he picks up another of your cakes, let's hope he used the board next time.
But it was a superb compliment from him....................

icon_cool.gif

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:56am
post #23 of 28

What a nice Dad! he actually compliments you on your sense of style. Ya gotta love him. icon_smile.gif
What a great looking cake! Wow it does look so real.

hazelina82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelina82 Posted 7 May 2007 , 5:06am
post #24 of 28

Your cake is beautiful! It looks so realistic and the detailing is great. Sorry about the mishap but it was kind of funny. icon_razz.gif

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 7 May 2007 , 5:13am
post #25 of 28

I think it is beautiful. I really like that you did a Juicy bag. LV and coach are nice, but I am glad to see something different.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 7 May 2007 , 5:20am
post #26 of 28

I am laughing while reading your post. I would have done the same thing. Your cake looked so real. That was the best compliment you will ever have. I bet your dad will not pick up another purse at you house again. I am glad you were able to do another one for the customer. Enjoy your fathers mistakes. When he is gone, those will be the memories that will make you smile. I miss mine now. With this story.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 7 May 2007 , 5:30am
post #27 of 28

My lands girl! That is the BEST purse cake I've ever seen. Tell your dad it was not his fault. You are just to good at decorating.

I can't believe it only took you 6 hours! It would have taken me days to do that and still wouldn't have been 1/2 as nice.

How did you do the writting? Is that an edible image or did you free hand it?

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 7 May 2007 , 6:15am
post #28 of 28

Wow !! your cake looks so realistic - definitely the best purse cake I've seen

sorry you had to do it again,though icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%