Gumpaste Graduation Cap, Tassle & Diploma

Decorating By nancys_world Updated 9 May 2011 , 2:43pm by RetiredNavyChief

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:31am
post #1 of 6

I'm sure it's on here somewhere but I get 6000 things when I do a search.
Does anyone have instrucitons and/or patterns for a cap, diploma and tassle?
Thanks in advance.

5 replies
ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:49am
post #2 of 6

Your question is exactly what I made tonight. I made one large hat with tassle, six small hats with tassles and Im attempting my diploma
tomorrow. I have looks for over a week for patterns and could not find any. I finally decided to just go for it. I used square cookie cutters for the boards of the hats and formed round rings around a bottle for the base of the hats. The tassles I cut very thin long strings from frondant folded them in half and placed a fondant band around the top. They turned out pretty good. Im not sure how to do the diploma. I think I will buy some rice paper like they roll spring rolls in and add a buttercream bow to it. If you have any ideas please share them. Thank you

nancys_world Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 6

let's see if the day crowd has any ideas.....bumping myself
thanks ibteana also

hoped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoped Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 6

I made a diploma out of fondant. I just took a rectangle of white fondant, rolled it loosely, and tied it with a strip of red fruit leather. I layed it on top of a sheet cake that I made. For a cap I used a six inch round cake, and put an eight inch square cookie I made out of sugar cookie dough on top. I covered the whole thing with chocolate frosting. The tassel was made from yellow fondant, just like ibteana described. I laid it on the cap and placed a dot of chocolate frosting on top to secure it and make it look like a real cap.

nancys_world Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 6

What I've come up with so far.........
diploma- took a 4" round cake pan and rolled a 50/50 mixture of fon. & gumpaste out real thin. Then thinned the edges with my ball tool. Got some real thin pieces of foam (like cushion foam) and stuck that at the ends and rolled. I wanted it to flair out alittle on the ends so it would look like the ribbon was crunching it. If that doesn't turn out how I would like it I'm going to take one of those skinny long balloons, blow it up alittle and tie the middle then mold the gumpaste around it and tie it up. Then I can bust the balloon and take it out.
Cap- for the board I have a piece of gumpaste drying that I wrapped around a piece of square cardboard. I think I'll cut a template for the four bottom pieces and then roll the gumpaste out fairly thick and cut those out. Once dry I'll secure them together with royal icing from the inside.
we'll see

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 6

I always use the small wonder mold pan for the bottom of the cap, then use a square cookie cutter for the top. Let them dry and put them together. For the tassel i use my clay extruder. The diploma is just gumpaste rolled thin and rolled up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%