I Went To "deal Or No Deal" Casting Call!!

Lounge By indydebi Updated 3 May 2007 , 8:30pm by okred

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:12am
post #1 of 20

They were in Indpls today and I spent almost 8 hours in line to try to get on this show. I've never done anything like that before .... I was surrounded by some great people and we all had a great time! They said they had projected between 2000-3000 but we are guessing there were 10,000 to 15,000 there!

We (the group I was standing with) were timing our progress. It took us 4 hours to get almost to the interview spot, when 2 of them went outside for a smoke break (we held their spot for them). When they came back, they said the line was STILL way back to the place we had started that morning ... So here it is 4:00 p.m. and there was still 4 hours worth of people still in line! Wow!

We got real excited when we finally were able to enter the building. Yay! We're here! Only to find out that once inside the building, it was yet another hour and a half line!

When we finally got the the interview, they sent us in 10 at a time. The 10 of us stood around an 8ft banquet table. The interviewer had a stop watch and we had 20 seconds to sell ourselves ..... they wanted name, job, and something they wouldn't know just by looking at us. They were looking for fun, enthusiastic and entertaining .... in 20 seconds. "Don't tell us you like the show .... we KNOW that. Don't tell us what you would do with the money ... .we figure you'll find a great, fun way to spend it." icon_lol.gif

They also told us that after all 10 of us were done, then we were to leave. Just leave. Some may be asked to stay for some more questions (add'l interviewing). If you were not asked to stay, that doesn't mean anything. "We could call you tomorrow, next week or 10 months from now....."

THEY ASKED ME TO STAY!!!!!!! WOOOO-WHOOOOO!!! She asked me about 4 or 5 more questions. Needless to say, I was REALLY excited!!

It was a very organized event. They had lots of port-a-potties and a Donatos Pizza had set up a tent selling pizza and coke. Donatos walked thru the crowd, too, so you didn't "have" to leave your place in line to get food. We expected their pricing to be outrageous, (trapped audience), but it was very very reasonable. I was really impressed with how they had things set up and how it ran.

I can't believe I actually went to something like that! I had a great time!

19 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:16am
post #2 of 20

OMG! You'd be awesome on that show! Your personality in your posts I've read really show you have spunk! I hope you get called! I can hardly believe how many people were there! Holy cow! And how often do they do these interviews?

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:19am
post #3 of 20

Good luck. I have never watched but would gladly tune in to watch a fellow CCer.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:21am
post #4 of 20

icon_surprised.gif I just got chills reading this. Maybe if you get on they will suprise you with something "Cake-ish" icon_wink.gif

I wish you the best of luck thumbs_up.gif I love the show.

indydebi Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:30am
post #5 of 20

Linda, they are on a 9-city "Deal on Wheels" tour for these casting calls. Indpls was their 8th stop. The local news said the turnout here was the 2nd highest of the tour so far. I haven't heard any "official" turnout numbers .... we are anxious to see how close we were.

Their last stop is Detroit on May 5 according to the website. We met one lady who followed them from Phoenix to here!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:55am
post #6 of 20

Oh, good luck to you! So what was the one thing you told them about yourself that made you stand out from the crowd? I'll keep my fingers crossed. I know I made it past the "phone stage" several times when Millionaire was so big, but never got a call back from the stupid computer.

indydebi Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:03am
post #7 of 20

I told them "YOu definitely can't tell by looking at me but I won a beauty pageant when I was 32. The chic who came in second was younger and taller than me. But you know what it means when you come in second? It means you LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Wah-ha-ha-haaaa!)"

So she asked me to tell her more about the pageant and I told her it was a local pageant for a festival. My town recognized that married women were beautiful, too, "..... and even tho' it was 75 lbs ago, as you can see, I'm still GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" icon_lol.gif

On the app, I had listed that my most interesting job was when I worked at a casket mfg company and she asked 2 or 3 questions about that .... she was especially interested to know why our European visitors always wanted to visit an American cemetery and funeral homes! I actually got paid to play tour guide to our local funeral homes! Whatta job!

She asked about the cake/catering and how long I had been doing that. She asked how being on the show would impact me. I told her that it would enable me to run my business debt free ".....and that's always a good thing for a new business!"

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:12am
post #8 of 20

Well, sweet enough. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I don't watch much tv, but I will make an exception. I want to do the 5th Grader show. I've decided that they must pick contestants who are dumber than dirt.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:05am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

Their last stop is Detroit on May 5 according to the website. We met one lady who followed them from Phoenix to here!

Now why on earth did she do that when they were just here? LOL, she must have not made it through the line the first time. A coworker/friend of mine tried to go (she's a nut and would have been GREAT), but when they got there the line was literally like two miles long. YOWZA.

I will keep my fingers crossed for ya! What a fun thing to do!

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:23am
post #10 of 20

That's awesome!! I hope you make it on!! My brother heard about it too late. He LOVES the show and would have went but we didn't hear anything about it....Good Luck!! Keep us posted!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:51am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

I want to do the 5th Grader show. I've decided that they must pick contestants who are dumber than dirt.

LOL! Don't be hard on yourself!

I watch Deal or No Deal and it kills me to see people turn down over $150,000 offers! As soon as they open one more case from the high side of the board, their offers plummet!

I saw a guy a few weeks ago end up with $10 because he kept saying "no deal". I saw him on a preview this week, with Howie offering him another chance on an upcoming show. I kind of don't think that's fair knowing that thousands of people are interviewing for a chance and a guy who gets greedy and loses gets another chance.

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:06pm
post #12 of 20

Hey Debi,

I was going to go to the casting call too!! But the night before the casting call we saw on the news that there people already standing in line.

Wouldn't that be great if you called to be on the show. I love deal or no deal.

Good Luck

Sue

indydebi Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:45pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksgirl

Hey Debi,

I was going to go to the casting call too!! But the night before the casting call we saw on the news that there people already standing in line.

Wouldn't that be great if you called to be on the show. I love deal or no deal.

Good Luck

Sue

The news said if you were in line by 5:00, you WILL get interviewed. I almost (almost!) decided to go out at 4:30..... I am so glad I went at 9:30 a.m.! When I left at 4:30-ish, the line was as big as it was that morning ..... at least a 4-5 hour wait!! I would have been there until 8 or 9 that night.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:38pm
post #14 of 20

Good Luck I love watching people on that show they keep you laughing.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:39pm
post #15 of 20

thumbs_up.gif Good luck!
If you get it make sure to get in a plug about CC! icon_wink.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:56pm
post #16 of 20

Hi Debi,

I've never seen the program, but having an adventure is always great fun!

Can't imagine any situation where your quick wit, sense of humor and intelligence couldn't see you through.

Didn't know your most most interesting job was working at a casket factory. (Being an unpaid business consultant on CC must be close.)

It would be great if you were on the show; I'd watch for sure.

Good Luck!!!!!

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

The news said if you were in line by 5:00, you WILL get interviewed. I almost (almost!) decided to go out at 4:30..... I am so glad I went at 9:30 a.m.! When I left at 4:30-ish, the line was as big as it was that morning ..... at least a 4-5 hour wait!! I would have been there until 8 or 9 that night.

I went to the casting call in San Antonio! I brought a Howie Mandell cookie along with me and I was also asked to stay and answered some additional questions! I got in line at 4:30 p.m. and left the interview at exactly 9 p.m., so 4.5 hours, not too bad.

indydebi Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:27pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

thumbs_up.gif Good luck!
If you get it make sure to get in a plug about CC! icon_wink.gif

Oh i've already planned my big "Hello to all my CC friends!" as soon as I hit the stage!!

(Notice that in MY version, I AM on that stage!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:35pm
post #19 of 20

icon_lol.gif Awesome! thumbs_up.gif

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 3 May 2007 , 8:30pm
post #20 of 20

I think you should take a small decorated cake with you on stage!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%