My Cake Has A Hump

Decorating By jacobsmommy Updated 3 May 2007 , 2:49pm by Janette

jacobsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacobsmommy Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:51am
post #1 of 19

When i made my round cake the other day, instead of being flat it had a hump. Im not sure what else to call it. Im new to cake decorating so im not sure of the lingo yet. lol. Does anyone know what i did wrong???

18 replies
crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:13am
post #2 of 19

That is how they cook. You can use a flower nail, press it down when it is hot, or cut off the excess with a knife or a cake leveler.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #3 of 19

What I do is as soon as I take it out of the oven I press the cake down with a clean tea towel. This will make the hump disapear and then when I decorate, I always decorate the bottom of the cake because it has a perfectly smooth surface!

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #4 of 19

I use the baking strips (Wilton's) and a rose nail as already mentionned. I know a lot of people are not a fan of the cake strips, but I swear by them. They work every time, without fail. Just make sure they are well saturated before you apply. I even made a cake last year for a friend's granddaughter's bd while I was camping in my trailer in the middle of nowhere. I didn't have my bake strips, so I used a very wet tea towel in place and popped it in my small RV trailer oven. The cake turned out beautifully. I've found through the years, many times it's a case of trial and error. What works well for one may not for another. Hope this works for you . Good Luck!

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #5 of 19

What does the flower nail do for baking a cake?

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #6 of 19

flower nail?
I don't understand.... icon_redface.gif

jacobsmommy Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:33am
post #7 of 19

well i bought the big wilton kit so i have all of that stuff, i just dont know how to use it. lol. i am also wondering, what does the flower nail do? (i mean other then used for flowers!!)

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:35am
post #8 of 19

My hump, my hump, my lovely lady humps

icon_lol.gif It's a Fergie song

I bet some of you were wondering who was going to say it first icon_razz.gif

jenbenjr Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:38am
post #9 of 19

The flower nail acts as a heat conductor and cooks the cake more evenly. It doesn't cause the cake to "hump" as much. I only use it in larger cakes though...anything over 10".

jenbenjr Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:40am
post #10 of 19

Hehehhe...lol.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:43am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

My hump, my hump, my lovely lady humps

icon_lol.gif It's a Fergie song

I bet some of you were wondering who was going to say it first icon_razz.gif

Too funny...I was thinking the same thing and was reading through the posts before I wrote the same thing as you! LOVE that song!!!

Janette Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:55am
post #12 of 19

Great, now I'm going to have that song in my head the rest of the night. icon_confused.gif

Love Fergie, she's the Bomb (do they still say that?) icon_cool.gif I always get in trouble for saying Cool and Groovy.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:12am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbenjr

The flower nail acts as a heat conductor and cooks the cake more evenly. It doesn't cause the cake to "hump" as much. I only use it in larger cakes though...anything over 10".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscakes

I use the baking strips (Wilton's) and a rose nail as already mentionned. I know a lot of people are not a fan of the cake strips, but I swear by them. They work every time, without fail. Just make sure they are well saturated before you apply. I even made a cake last year for a friend's granddaughter's bd while I was camping in my trailer in the middle of nowhere. I didn't have my bake strips, so I used a very wet tea towel in place and popped it in my small RV trailer oven. The cake turned out beautifully. .....

By the way the baking Strips that lilscakes mentioned do a similar job, either way what ever you have on hand, or well greased flower nail or a wet tea towel, That should take care of the hump in the future.

I have learned of another way, but until you are more comfortable with your cake baking, I would wait. I would hate for you to loose a batch of cakes. icon_sad.gif
You can check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811842401/?tag=cakecentral-20

There is a book I borrowed from the library "Baking from Scratch in 1/2 the time" They say to bake at 400 in alumnium pans and it takes 1/2 the time and you get a beautiful cake. I used the cake mix with the extender recipe 1 and did this and it worked beautiful too. It took about 2/3 of the time and it was great. But then again, you may not want to play with this until you are more comfortable with your baking. icon_smile.gif

Also I did not see anyone mention that when your cake is uneven, you simple take a long serated knife or a cake leveler and take off the hump. It took years for me to figure that out, but since I got that, my cakes are nice and level! It seems like a waiste but it's not.

Also like jenbenjr said in her first post is to always put your cake upside down. If you have a 2 layer cake you even out both cake, you put the bottom cake top up, spread BC or filling, then you put the top cake top down (so they are head to head) I hope this makes sense.
So that as jenbenjr said, you have a perfect surface for decorating!
icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbenjr

What I do is as soon as I take it out of the oven I press the cake down with a clean tea towel. This will make the hump disapear and then when I decorate, I always decorate the bottom of the cake because it has a perfectly smooth surface!.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

dudu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dudu Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:21am
post #14 of 19

Hello Jacobsmommy,
I also use the baking strips and they are wonderful. I have used them for years. I make sure to soak them good and then I put the strip between my thumb and index finger and take the excess water off. I put them around my cake pan and stick the little pin they give you to hold the strip on. Works like a charm. No hump. Give them a try. Inexpensive, lasts for years.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:01am
post #15 of 19
Quote:

Great, now I'm going to have that song in my head the rest of the night. icon_confused.gif

Love Fergie, she's the Bomb (do they still say that?) icon_cool.gif I always get in trouble for saying Cool and Groovy.

I already have that song in my head and my kids think I'm lame for saying groovy!!! icon_lol.gif

jacobsmommy Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:15pm
post #16 of 19

The baking stips come in my kit i just dont know how to use them. I will definately read the instuctions and figure it out. Also, when i use my cake leveler, it only leaves like an inch of cake. and thats just not enough for me!! lol

Janette Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:40pm
post #17 of 19

I baked a 10" cake yesterday (scratch) it took over an 1 1/2 to bake. When it finally was done it had a huge hump in the middle. I had used baking strips. The cake is dry. I am hoping with filling and frosting it will make a difference.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:45pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:

I baked a 10" cake yesterday (scratch) it took over an 1 1/2 to bake. When it finally was done it had a huge hump in the middle. I had used baking strips. The cake is dry. I am hoping with filling and frosting it will make a difference.

I would defenitely use some simple syrup to take the dryness away.

1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup water - boil to disolve, let cool a bit add flavoring 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of extract. icon_rolleyes.gif

You should be good.

Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

Janette Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:49pm
post #19 of 19

What do I do make this syrup and pour it on the backed cake to fix it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%