Sculpting A Cake

Decorating By cakesbybert Updated 2 May 2007 , 9:54pm by peacockplace

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 18

will it be okay to sculpt a cake without it being frozen - I will be doing a pickup and I do no have freezer room. Wanting to at least get it carved out tonight.

TIA

17 replies
jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:03am
post #2 of 18

I did my first carved cake last weekend. It was pretty easy until it started thawing out. I know some people do it but I think it would be easier frozen. It probably depends on how complex your design is

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:05am
post #3 of 18

I use dense cake so that might make a diffrence, but I do not freeze before I carve.

lucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucakes Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:08am
post #4 of 18

If you don't freeze the cake you will probably have problems with crumbs and then icing it will be harder. If you can find space in the freezer for at least one hour that will help you, but if you can't try using a pound cake or a madeira cake that are easier for carving and won't crumble as easy.

Hope this helps!!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:09am
post #5 of 18

NO! don't do it, The finished cake, once is covered, is more prone to crumbe when is being delivered if you don't frezze it

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:13am
post #6 of 18

I never carve frozen cake. Use a dense cake and it's fine.

Deanna

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:30am
post #7 of 18

I have never carved a frozen cake and i use anything from choc cake to fruit cake for sculpting but i also cover over my buttercream with fondant so have no crumbs showing... as for prone to crumble when being delivered i have to disagree sorry... never had that prob except with carrot cake that is not strong enough...

It is personal preference i think so good luck whatever you do...

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:37am
post #8 of 18

I agree with the group about the crumbs and also If you carve it without it being frozen you take a chance of tearing the cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:08am
post #9 of 18

I've done a couple of cakes that were carved, and have never frozen any of them. Yes they crumb, but isn't that what a crumb coat is for?

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:19am
post #10 of 18

I'm going to be doing a sculpted cake next week if anyone is nice enough to share their favorite recipe for a dense cake I would really appreciate it.

TooMuchCake Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #11 of 18

I like the Mint Chocolate Cream Cheese cake recipe from Chocolate From The Cake Mix Doctor. Instead of the Andes mints the recipe calls for, use an equal amount of melted *dark* chocolate.

Deanna

cakesbybert Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Went a head and carved the cake out WITHOUT freezing - had to freezer is full of approx. 650#s of beef (live on farm)

It carved pretty good, did not crumble too bad - used really gentle approach and sharp knife. Here it is after the crumb coat ..........
by the way how do you like the cake board/stand my darling hubby made for me last night to put this cake on. (got to love a man with power tools icon_lol.gif )
LL
LL

peacockplace Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 18

Wow.. it looks so cool! thumbs_up.gif What is it made out of?

cakesbybert Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

Wow.. it looks so cool! What is it made out of?

I am assuming you mean the cake board icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

It is made from 1/2" to 3/8" (??) ply board covered in contact paper. The spacers between the top and bottom are the plastic centers out of calculator paper (work as bookkeeper so I have access to LOTS of these little puppies icon_lol.gif )

If you mean the cake - it is out of the CC recipe Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes. I used BC golden vanilla cake mix

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:05pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegrahamcracker

Quote:
Quote:

Wow.. it looks so cool! What is it made out of?

I am assuming you mean the cake board icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 18

Very cool! Be sure to post a pic when it's all finished!

Deanna

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:00pm
post #17 of 18

WOW love the board under the body of the cake... what an awesome idea to lift if off the ground well done... the sculpting is perfect again well done you did a great job looks fantastic cant wait to see it all finished...

peacockplace Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:54pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegrahamcracker

The spacers between the top and bottom are the plastic centers out of calculator paper

That's genius! Great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%