What Did You Do 1St Upon Finding Cc

Decorating By banba Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 3:49am by GI

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 53

Hi
I have learned so much from all you guys here on CC. I am still learning and will be forever I suppose. I only have one photo posted which is crap done B.C.C (before cake central).

What I was wondering was when you first came across this site what way did you approach it.

Like I spent days looking in the Galleries, then the Articles now the Forums! And trying out the recipes of course!

What blew you away first about this site? For me it was the photos and that everbody could upload their own photo and get comments, how cool!
CC has given me something very precious and it's knowledge and confidence! From people from all walks of life how cool is that!

52 replies
mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 1 May 2007 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 53

I think I looked at ever single "cookie" photo!
Then I uploaded some pictures and anxiously awaited comments. Thanks everyone for your nice comments, it really makes me feel good and gives me confidence.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 1 May 2007 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 53

Before even thinking about posting I read EVERYTHING! I always like to get the feeling and general flow of a board before jumping in. Plus, I get self conscience about maybe asking the question that has been asked a million times on new boards, lol. Or being the obvious "newb". SO you could say the first thing I did was just study.

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 1 May 2007 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 53

Me too! if feel so scatter brained because I want to look at every thing and read everything! Im going to have to quite my job and take up cakecentral full time! icon_lol.gif

Countryatheart32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Countryatheart32 Posted 1 May 2007 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 53

I felt like a "kid in a candy store"! LOL

I just couldnt get enough browsing thru all the great gallery photos, then the forums and repices. Then all I wanted to do is make some cakes and try some new recipes and ideas. I think that week I made 4 or 5 cakes and sent them all over the neighborhood. LOL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 May 2007 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 53

I couldn't believe my eyes.......I never knew what fondant or gumpaste were and the idea of making your own frosting.......well I never LOL!!!! I found it by searching flower cake on google......and it came up with the article on how to make a flower pot cake and I thought something like that was just what I should try.......so I did and then I wanted to upload it when I was done so I became a member! Then I spent days and days looking at the galleries in amazement that they were even REALLY cakes!!!!!!!

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 53

To be honest I was completly overwhelmed and ran back to the Wilton forums. Then I would start with the Galleries, and slowly made my way into the Forums. So much info and with so much talent, it was quite overwhelming for a newbie. Not now though! Love this site and I'm always on it. It's great that the questions asked are ones you would never have thought of.

1234cakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234cakemom Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 53

I happend upon cc when I was looking for Grad cake ideas. I was so excited and spent the whole day looking in galleries, then I looked at some fondant recipes and discoverd the forums. I can not say enough about cc. I want to thank everyone for all the help and ideas they have given me. I want to post some of my cake pics but I'm having some problems, when I figure out what to do I look forward to everyones comments(good or bad). I am a newb and my pics are not half as good as most, but I do it for the fun and fun is what it's all about, right?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 53

I looked at photos for 5 days straight...about 5 hours a night. That's not a joke. THEN, I read just about every article and topic and began posting after a few weeks. INFORMATION OVERLOAD. I was very relieved to see that there is such a broad range of talent-from new decorators to pros...I knew I would fit in somewhere!!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 53

I came upon CC after looking at Duffs website (Thanks Duff!) LOL I looked and read and thought "HOLY COW IS THAT REALLY CAKE?" I love baking and decorating an with CC I'm trying things I would have Never tried or thought of. Im still trying to perfect the FBCT....can't get it completely flat!

ShannanM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannanM Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 53

I found this site when I was checking out Ace of Cakes site. It has a link to this site. I spend every spare moment here studying, browsing, etc. I LOVE CC!!!!!!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 53

I liked the communication

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:07pm
post #13 of 53

I don't even remember what I was looking for. I know it was a Google search that led me hear. I remember seeing the recipe for MMF and trying it and from then on we have had a very loving relationship.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:12pm
post #14 of 53

First is was picture after picture after picture! I just couldn't believe that there were cakes out here like this! Everyone was so talented. I was looking for an idea for a birthday cake for my mom and found the renditions on here for the Cactus cake from the Colette Peter's book...very cool! As soon as I was done with that I was uploading every photo of mine to get comments and feedback! Now I am addicted to these forums and can't get my darn paper done for the end of the semester! icon_cry.gif But it's all worth it cause we have support and feedback that help us get through our addiction.

Cake Central....I am in LOVE with you!!! icon_cry.gif
(my husband is going to be soo mad! icon_lol.gif LOL)

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:12pm
post #15 of 53

I had been looking at different cake websites, and they were starting to bore me. I found CC and was in awe of all the beautiful cakes. I got very excited when I asked a question and got an answer right away.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 53

I was searching photos of cakes on google and found CC it was like finding money in my pocket!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 53

Well it was back 1 year ago. My Cousin Jennifer293 & I were planning our grandparents SUPRISE 60th wedding anniversary. She had just completed the cake & sent me to the cake central web site to see it. Well I had to sign up to see it, so I did. I had had A desire to take cake decorating classes but needed a push. Well let me tell you this was the push I needed.

I have been on here EVERYDAY since.

I was & still am blow away at all the wonderful people & cakes on here. thumbs_up.gif

pieface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieface Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:17pm
post #18 of 53

Checked out the galleries....I was amazed and intimidated at the same time.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:23pm
post #19 of 53

Oh and something I just remembered... in one of the Forums there was a topic called 'Post your Worst cake'. That's what really got me hooked. Seeing how many people had cakes they were so unhappy with, yet that post was Hilarious! After reading about 14 pages on it, I was hooked with the forums.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:29pm
post #20 of 53

I was looking at different cake websites and someone had mentioned CC, so I went to the site. I thought ,"Oh, how cute, 'warning-this website is highly addictive'." icon_lol.gif Little did I know I would spend hours a day here, every day. Just looking and learning. This is just a hobby. Mainly cakes for my kiddos some friends. Most amazing site ever icon_eek.gif , rarely do I venture onto another website. I rarely check my email anymore icon_redface.gif , for fear of missing some great cake or topic! The talent here is incredible, thanks to you all! thumbs_up.gif

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:31pm
post #21 of 53

This site has given me the confidence and inspiration to pursue cake decorating as a hobby.

And I would look at the cakes in the Galleries all day if I knew it wouldn't get me fired. icon_lol.gif It's so amazing to see the talent and creativity.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:33pm
post #22 of 53

I was and still am like a kid in a candy store. I can't stay off this site. My laptop batteries empty very quickly because I am on here at home so much. If big brother is watching, I will probably get fired because I am on here at work so much. This is the absolute best site ever. I can't believe that half of the cakes on here are really cakes. It is so amazing.
I am so addicited!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:36pm
post #23 of 53

I actually didn't like CC at first-- I ran across the site and clicked on a few not-so-great pictures (we all have those early days of decorating cakes) -- and thought- ehhhh. Then I didn't come back for probably 8 months.

I got frustrated with Wilton's delayed postings and grammatical corrections to my posts :O) -- And rediscovered CC. Was sooo glad to realize the instant postings!! Have been hooked ever since (and have since found sooo many awesome cakes and ideas!)

Jessica21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica21 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:38pm
post #24 of 53

The first thing I did when I strolled on CC is go to my cake supplier and bought all the starter tools. Fondant roller, cutter, fondant (will try and make my own now), and fondant cutters!!! I got so excited!!! Oh and of course new pans!!! My love used to be Tiffanys but now I'd rather have new pans rather than a new necklace!!! I love it!!!

Meg828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg828 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:39pm
post #25 of 53

This site has opened my eyes to so many different things you can do with a cake! Now I can't possibly live without it.

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:42pm
post #26 of 53

I was searching for a product that I cannot remember now! The site came up and I clicked onto it and couldn't access photos without joining so I thought what the heck! I browsed for a day or two to get the hang of it (still trying!! icon_lol.gif ) and then I added my own photos! Yippee!!! New friends, new ideas, new toy to play with! icon_wink.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:42pm
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartcake

Oh and something I just remembered... in one of the Forums there was a topic called 'Post your Worst cake'. That's what really got me hooked. Seeing how many people had cakes they were so unhappy with, yet that post was Hilarious! After reading about 14 pages on it, I was hooked with the forums.

icon_surprised.gif I remember that post!! I loved reading it. Everyone had a great sense of humor icon_lol.gif

There was another post by twinsline & her cookies, http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26744&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=billy&&start=0 The naming of the cookies & the stories were so funny to me. I just love how we can incorporate humor into something. I laughed so hard at this icon_lol.gif , just beause the cookies were so cute, & twinsline naming them, then some of us kinda making up stories as to maybe what "could of" happened. I had to find & read it again for old times sake.

Anyway those two posts are what got me addicted to the forums. Just because I love humor icon_wink.gif Its hooks me everytime.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #28 of 53

Stopped going to the wilton forum.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:51pm
post #29 of 53

I found a link from another site to this one. I was immediately hooked and have spent much of my fun computer time on this site looking at cakes. I hope to someday have some of the talent of the artists here.

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:52pm
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by aine2

I was searching for a product that I cannot remember now! The site came up and I clicked onto it and couldn't access photos without joining so I thought what the heck!

same here aine2. At times I get in the mood and post when a subject strikes me but most of the time I would rather read and look at all the beautiful cakes and cookies. I've picked up tons of ideas and definetly insparation from this site. I'm addicted thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%