Wolf Cake...

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 4 May 2007 , 5:07pm by Kayakado

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 May 2007 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 8

One of the guys that works at Michaels where I teach is leaving at the end of the month to go into the Air Force, he has been there almost as long as I have and he knows the store. He is the guy I go to if I have a question or if my students want something but we don't have it out on the shelves.

Since I did my dragon cake last year for my nephew's b-day he has been asking me to make him a cake in the shape of a wolf. He has alot of faith in me and that I can do it. I'm not totally sure myself but well I'm up for the challenge.

He has asked now that I make it for his going away party and he is offering to pay me. I found one picture online when searching for wolf cake pictures of a wolf's face. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do that or try to attempt a full body wolf.

Here is the picture of the wolf's head cake that I found. http://cakessince1982.com/images/novelty_cake_wolf.jpg

For those cake carving experts out there, if you did this would you start with a round or a sheet cake? How would you build up the nose?

Does it look like the textured look (hair) is actually done in the icing or just the coloring? And how in the world do you get the coloring? It looks like fondant and while I'd prefer to do it in buttercream I might just do it in fondant.

Any thoughts and ideas on getting the look is much, much appreciated!

My other idea is a full body wolf. If I did this it would be laying down, as I'm not going to get into the support for holding the head up and everything. I'm up for a challenge, but not that much of a challenge. icon_smile.gif

I haven't found any cakes like that, unless I'm just missing them, but I looked up some pictures and figures online. I found this figurine: http://www.especially4ugiftshop.com/images/gifts/sandicast/bigwolf.jpg

Again my thought is: How would you do the texture of the wolf hair??

I know just the face would be the easiest and more likely to turn out best, but as long as I got the basic look of a wolf I know he will love it.

Please help me?

I hope I'm not getting in over my head here!

7 replies
kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 8

I'm too new to have ever done anything like this, but how about painting the fondant? You could use a veining tool for the hair detail. I think if you've done that awesome dragon cake the wolf should be, well, a piece of cake!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 8

looky here:
http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/PAC-RoaringSuccess.jpg

lindy smith does a similar, texture wise i mean. I have this book at home. can i can make a b&w of this one and email it to you if you want. it will have to wait til tomorrow though.
I believe the cake is all fondant, i know she uses a lot of tools to give her cakes texture. Between the texturing and coloring you can do it.

did you see this one?
http://www.melissasgourmet.com/wolf_cake_cropped.jpg

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 8

fork tines pulled across the icing or fondant multiple times?

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 8

the cake on the thread you provided Is covered in fondant with buttercream eyes. The coloring looks like a combination of airbrush and hand painting. Lots of detail work! please post some pics when your done and good luck.

TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:09am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsnurse

I think if you've done that awesome dragon cake the wolf should be, well, a piece of cake!

He thinks since I did the dragon I could easily do the wolf. Little did he know I had how to directions for the dragon so I didn't have to do alot of the hard work myself, such as what size cakes and how to place them. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katskakes

I have this book at home. can i can make a b&w of this one and email it to you if you want. it will have to wait til tomorrow though.
I believe the cake is all fondant, i know she uses a lot of tools to give her cakes texture. Between the texturing and coloring you can do it.

Oh yes please! When you have time. He is leaving the store at the end of this month, but he has another month before he leaves town so I have time to plan for this one. I just need to give him some information on it soon and find out when his going away party will be. icon_smile.gif

I hadn't found the buttercream one. Wow that is alot of piping! icon_eek.gif But definetly an idea.

Doug I was thinking a fork could work too.

Markbolin, than you for hte information. I don't know if I could get mine to look that good. As long as you can tell what it is suppose to be I shall be happy! I haven't made anything super realistic yet, but I can try.

It'd be a cool cake to have pics of if i can do it well.

TexasSugar Posted 3 May 2007 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 8

Sigh, well I talked to him last night, and unfortunately he doesn't need a big cake. So I will either have to do the face where I can adjust it for a smaller amount or do the larger cake knowing he will have plenty left over.

UGH!! icon_mad.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 4 May 2007 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 8

I just did a seated West Highland Terrier and iced it with crusting cream cheese frosting and tip 233. I won't have a pic to post unless someone tonight takes its picture. It's about 16" tall. I used a the half soccer ball pan for the base and kind of flattened its top and squared it off. I used a small heart pan cut in half for hind legs and cut it out to have the feet and used straws to attach it laterally to the soccer ball. I then put a wonder mold cake on top of the soccer ball. I carved the front legs out of those two together and shaped the body. I originally was going to use two wonder mold but decided one was enough for this project. I used a sports ball pan for the head held together with straws and shaped it as a head. I made ears out of fondant and stuck them in the top of the head and iced over them. I got lazy at the end, I built up icing for the snout instead of using rice krispie treats as I orginally planned. I made the nose, and eyes out of black fondant. I put two toothpicks in the nose to attach it and I used a melon baller to scoop out eye sockets for the eyes. Oh yeah, I put two dowels through the whole body to hold the head on. I used a regular cake mix mixed with a pound cake to make a dense cake that would survive all this messing about. I don't have a clue how many this will feed, it was a freebie for my neighbors son. This was my first sculpted cake. I was inspired by Lindy Smith's cat cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%