? About Finding Extra Large Cake Boards

Decorating By melissablack Updated 20 May 2005 , 12:20pm by m0use

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 7 May 2005 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 18

The largest cake board I've seen at Hobby Lobby is 14x20... I need one slightly larger for the next cake I'm making. Is it possible to find them anywhere?

Melissa

17 replies
sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 7 May 2005 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 18

If I need an exceptionally large board, I usually have one cut from the lumberyard. You need the support for a cake that large anyway. I always ask for it back so I have it for the future!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 7 May 2005 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 18

This is where I get my boards and boxes...don't know how quickly you need it , but for future reference,

http://www.winbeckler.com/cake_boxes.asp.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 7 May 2005 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 18

www.papermart.com is another place for cakeboards

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 7 May 2005 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 18

I got dh to cut a variety of sizes out of plywood or MDF for me. I cover them with either tin foil, or the wilton board cover. I've also done it with marbled mmf and it looks really nice. I always ask for the boards back and customers are happy to oblige. Works well and saves a few $$$ and a great way to recycle and "save the environment". icon_smile.gif

m0use Posted 7 May 2005 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 18

I saw on another website that someone wrote on the underside of their plywood cake boards... "Property of (Business Name) (Dollar Amount) charged to customer if not returned" they have never had a problem with their boards.
I know if I was to start doing cakes more often that required plywoord boards and the like where I would not be at the event, I would be up front with the customer on a fee of any type if the board was not returned.... I personally can't afford to lose the board...and I would hope the customer could not afford not to bring it back...

FUNKY_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FUNKY_CAKES Posted 7 May 2005 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 18

This is an interesting topic. I live in the middle east and find sourcing equipment either difficult or expensive. I cannot get proper cake boards so I get them cut to size at a carpentry shop. He either uses plywood or MDF. I then cover the boards in a heavy duty contact in silver. They do look nice and are heavy duty too. I have not thought to put a sticker on the back to return the board. After all, what are the customers going to do with it? They usually cosy about 5-10 % of the cake sale price all coming off my profit so I think i am about to start recycling my boards. Whilst on the topic I was also wondering how other people package their cakes? I tend to recycle any cardboard i get and make the box to fit the board.

m0use Posted 7 May 2005 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 18

I've done that, cut boxes to fit...I just put some clear tape on the cut edges so that I don't get any cardboard fuzzies in my cake.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 May 2005 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 18

I buy bulk packages of Pink cake boxes from Papermart.com.I just think it is more professional to send a cake out in a proper box.Using boxes around the house is a good idea too but I never seem to have any around...

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 7 May 2005 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 18

i have a board cut at a lumber yard..then wrap it in nice paper...

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 May 2005 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 18

just wondering...can you use any type of paper??? for example, wrapping paper?

melissablack Posted 7 May 2005 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks for all the replies. Too bad they don't have smaller packages at papermart.com, I don't make enough cakes to be able to buy my boards there, but the prices are sure good, per board.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

FUNKY_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FUNKY_CAKES Posted 7 May 2005 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 18

I think i might go and check papermart out. I hope they sell around the world. Will have to see the costing. I only make 2 cakes a week so need to see if it is worth my while doing it that way. By the way, are the sizes in inches?

m0use Posted 7 May 2005 , 6:06pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

If you use wrapping paper, I recommend covering the wrapping paper with clear contact paper. That way it is more food safe, and a little more durable. I do it now ever since I learned about it here at CC. If you go into my photos, the donation cakes posted are gift wrapped then clear contact papered cake boards. You can get some really neat and also really pretty looking cake boards that way.

melissablack Posted 19 May 2005 , 7:46pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

If you use wrapping paper, I recommend covering the wrapping paper with clear contact paper. That way it is more food safe, and a little more durable. I do it now ever since I learned about it here at CC. If you go into my photos, the donation cakes posted are gift wrapped then clear contact papered cake boards. You can get some really neat and also really pretty looking cake boards that way.

This may be a dumb question, but what exactly is contact paper and where do I find it? TIA

Melissa

libbyhunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libbyhunt Posted 19 May 2005 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 18

I've found that at Home Depot, they have "scrap" pieces of plywood (and sometimes other material) which are really pretty cheap and I can get several cakes out of them. I think the last board I got was 1/2" plywood for $2.00 and it was enough for 2 cakes that were 13x18 (half sheet). Much cheaper than buying wood at normal cost.

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 20 May 2005 , 6:43am
post #17 of 18

I have noticed that a few people here have used MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) for cake boards. I know that some manufacturers of MDF use urea-formaldehyde resin in the manufacturing process of MDF. This may not cause a problem for most people however some that are hypersensitive to Formaldehyde may have a problem with any vapor emissions from the product. From what I have read from some of the MDF manufacturers Urea formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. However completely sealing and painting the MDF may stop the release. I found an MSDS for MDF online the biggest exposure hazard is from the dust of MDF. This is the link to an MSDS provided by Weyerhaeuser.

m0use Posted 20 May 2005 , 12:20pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissablack

This may be a dumb question, but what exactly is contact paper and where do I find it? TIA

Melissa

Contact paper is usually used for putting onto your shelves in your kitchen to help keep them clean. It has a sticky backing on it that you peel off and apply to your shelves, it's like a giant sticker. It comes in various colors, patterns, and even clear. You should be able to find it at Walmart, Kmart, and I would imagine any home improvement store like Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menard's. The clear stuff is nice for when you want to use gift wrapping on your cake boards. If you click on photos on the bottom of my post and then look at the cake's that have floral patterened cake boards (donation cakes), the cake boards were first covered in gift wrap and then covered in clear contact paper.
I like using it because it is a little more durable than freezer paper or parchment paper or the like on your cake boards.
Hope this helps!
m0use

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%