Ganache Over Cream Cheese Frosting?

Decorating By funfoodie2 Updated 5 Aug 2013 , 3:43pm by Lucig

funfoodie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie2 Posted 1 May 2007 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 9

I have a friend that doesn't want buttercream under the ganache. Can I use a cream cheese based frosting instead? Will the warmth of the ganache "melt" the cream cheese? Plus it will need to be refridgerated, so will that affect the ganache as well?

8 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 1 May 2007 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 9

The ganache will melt the cream cheese but putting it back in the fridge will firm it back up. Just make sure it is SUPER cold (not frozen) when you pour the ganache on. As far as ganache in the fridge, it should be ok as long as your chocolate/cream ratio isn't too much chocolate and not enough cream.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 1 May 2007 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry - had issues with pic had to edit post. icon_redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizshelli

The ganache will melt the cream cheese but putting it back in the fridge will firm it back up. Just make sure it is SUPER cold (not frozen) when you pour the ganache on. As far as ganache in the fridge, it should be ok as long as your chocolate/cream ratio isn't too much chocolate and not enough cream.

Like mizshelli said then if once the ganache is hardened if you cover the cake well and keep extra moisture out, you should be fine.

Also I wanted to say that I have put ganache without using buttercream or any other frosting, I do make it 2 layers, so I will start with milk chocolate and cover mostly the sides, then I use dark chocolate and let it pour, melt down so you see the contrast. icon_cool.gif

I am attaching a pic, it's my chocolate, grandmarnier orange mouse cake with milk and dark choc. ganache, (This is a cake, I make last min. when friends come over). Really Simple! icon_wink.gif

Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif
LL

writer_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writer_mom Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 9

I have also just put two layers of ganache on a cake instead of using buttercream. I made a batch of ganache and then chilled half of it. I whipped it up and frosted the cake with it and then chilled the cake for about 20 minutes. Then, I poured the other half of the ganache on top of it. The cake is in my gallery - Lemon-scented white sponge cake with milk chocolate ganache.

gateaux Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by writer_mom

I have also just put two layers of ganache on a cake instead of using buttercream. I made a batch of ganache and then chilled half of it. I whipped it up and frosted the cake with it and then chilled the cake for about 20 minutes. Then, I poured the other half of the ganache on top of it. The cake is in my gallery - Lemon-scented white sponge cake with milk chocolate ganache.

I have whipped up ganaga too and it's great.

Wow that lemon scented white cake sound yummy!

Good Luck

funfoodie2 Posted 1 May 2007 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much for the suggestions and input! To tell you honestly, I was kind of surprised about her request, because she just loved the ganache cake (with buttercream) I had made for my daughter's party and she wanted the same one for her own. lol

gateaux Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 9

[quote="gateaux"

I have whipped up ganaga too and it's great.

Wow that lemon scented white cake sound yummy!

Good Luck[/quote]

I really meant Ganache - I was really tired earlier!

Good Day!

funfoodie2 Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 9

My cake didn't come out too badly. It wasn't as smooth as using buttercream and it did ripple a bit once the ganache was pouring over it, but it looked pretty good. Didn't take a pic of this one.

My friend said that the cream cheese frosting wasn't as sweet as store bought ones and her kids weren't crazy about it.

I followed the following recipe:

2 8oz cream cheese
1 stick butter
2 cup powered sugar
1 tsp almond flavor

Is there a better way to make it sweeter?

Lucig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucig Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 9

Could you please post or send me your recipe for Chocolate ganache grand marnier mousse cake?  Would love to make it for my son's bday tomorrow.  Thanks in advance

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%