What Can I Use For A Leaf Veiner??

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 16 Feb 2012 , 4:34am by KoryAK

sunflowerfreak Posted 1 May 2007 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 14

I am making leaves out of fondant and some out of gumpaste to see which I like best. My problem is that I don't have a leaf veiner. I have a fondant tool with a pointer at the end but the veins didn't come out right. What have you all used for a veiner? thanks

13 replies
KoryAK Posted 1 May 2007 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 14

I do have the veiners... but if you want something quick and especially if you are just practicing, why not go out and get a real leaf?

sunflowerfreak Posted 1 May 2007 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 14

That sounds interesting. I never thought of that. I just might do that.

TexasSugar Posted 1 May 2007 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 14

In the Wilton classes we teach leaves using the other end of their ball tool. Personally I don't like the look that much, and show my students the same motions using a corsage pin to give them an option.

Of course I know this doesn't produce as much of a realistic look as a viener but it works in a pinch and when you don't have vieners availible to you. icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Posted 1 May 2007 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 14

If you have a plastic or silk plant at home clean one of the leaves, press your fondant leaf against the BACK of the artificial leaf, it will pick up the imprint of the veining. You can even do that with a real leaf if it has not been sprayed with pesticide and has good veining, such as a lemon or gardenia leaf.

sunflowerfreak Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 14

Cool suggestions thanks.

CakeRN Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 14

My wilton teacher actually gave me two plastic leafs that you put the fondant in between and press the piece and you get both sides to look like a real leaf. It is really quick and easy.

CakeRN Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 14

My wilton teacher actually gave me two plastic leafs that you put the fondant in between and press the piece and you get both sides to look like a real leaf. It is really quick and easy.

CakeRN Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 14

doescakestoo Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 14

There are molds out there that you can use to make your own vieners. I have used real and silk/plastic leaves for them. That way you get the kind of leaves you want.

bxjewel Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 2:04am
post #11 of 14

You can make your own molds using Amazing Mold Putty. Just press a plastic leaf or petal onto the putty and you get the impression you want. The putty then sets and Waa-Laa you have your mold, just like those expensive silicone ones. You can find it at Michaels. Works great and alot cheaper.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 3:29am
post #12 of 14

If you have a citrus peeler like this one, you can use it as a veiner:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BK5S6A/?tag=cakecentral-20

I buy them by the dozen at my dollar store and consider them the most versatile tool in my kit.

KoryAK Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 4:26am
post #13 of 14

And the award for the oldest revived thread goes to.......

icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 4:34am
post #14 of 14

And the award for the oldest revived thread goes to.......

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%